Memorial Day Weekend!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy After Loss Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2011, 06:17 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are your plans?

Do you have any memorial day traditions?

We have a dinner planned tomorrow with my dad and stepmom. They love seeing the kids. But that is it for plans. Travis and I are planning on building a fence in our back yard for our kids so we might get supplies this weekend too.

Our Memorial Day tradition is that we place pinwheels on the graves of the loved ones we have lost. I buy a nice arrangement for Isaac and Avery's grave each angelversay, and since that is only a month ago, I don't get flowers for them on memorial day.
May 28th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nothing big planned here. DH has to work on Monday (he works in healthcare). I will be busy keeping Makenna from injuring her arm further with her daredevil antics. She now acts as if absolutely nothing is wrong and tries to do EVERYTHING she used to do.

No traditions here either.

Sam -- I love your tradition. That is an awesome thing to do!

May 28th, 2011, 10:43 AM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No traditions or plans.
I am happy that Justin always has holidays off. So we are just enjoying relaxing over the long weekend with him. I think we will have start a fire in our fire pit and hang out in the back yard this evening if the buffalo gnats aren't too bad.

Sam- Putting pinwheels IS a really neat tradition. Can I ask where that came from?
Sacha - I 'm glad that Makenna is feeling better, but that must be a handful for you right now!
May 28th, 2011, 09:07 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Now our neighbor, who works for Justin has asked us over for their cookout tomorrow at lunch. Just got Thea 2 bed a bit ago so that should be fun if she actually sleeps through the night and doesn't come to our bed..........
May 29th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Mommy2Makenna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Enjoy the cookout -- we are thinking of having one of those ourselves. It will just be a last minute thing.

Went to disney last night for a few hours. The rain stayed away and I didn't have to use garbage bags or duct tape on Makenna's arm. She had some much fun riding all the rides.

May 29th, 2011, 11:31 AM
IAMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kristi....hanging out by a fire pit sounds like a great relaxing time...makes me want to eat some s'mores lol. Hope your cookout was good last night.

Sacha... So glad makenna had a good time at Disney! How awesome you live so close you can just "pop" over there.

Our pinwheel tradition started the first memorial day after the boys passed away. Everything to put on a grave is geared twords older people, and we wanted something that represented our boys more. I was talking with a coworker who had a stillbirth years ago and she told me she had the same problem, but that she loved putting out pinwheels. We decided to do the same thing and it made us smile when we would visit Isaac and avery's grave and see them spinning. We decided to start putting pinwheels on all our relatives graves to remember all the good and fun times we have shared with them.
May 30th, 2011, 08:20 AM
kellyanne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sam - The pinwheels sound perfect...Asher and Cecil will love that tradition as they get older (I picture you making pinwheels with them).
Sacha - I agree, I'm a bit jealous that you can just take Makenna to Disney for an afternoon. I'm glad she is feeling herself again, though!

No traditions here, really. We often have some type of family plans...camping, etc. The last two years we've had Juliana's birthday party on Memorial weekend. Her party yesterday was a big success and it didn't rain! We had 31 people total at our local park. Ribs, potato salad, pasta salad, baked beans, watermelon and Mickey Mouse cupcakes. I'll post pictures when I find my camera....everyone left this morning so I have a pretty big mess here!!

3 angels Feb, Mar, Aug of 2008

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search