Thinking about swimming classes this summer

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy After Loss Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2007, 10:25 AM
LeedaRenee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am scared to death of water and nearly drowned 2 years ago in a wave pool (yes, I know that sounds terribly lame). I dont want Lucas to be afraid of water so I want to introduce him early. There's a place here that offers baby swim classes and I was thinking of enrolling him next month or the month after. I have several questions:

1. Swim diapers: What kind of I get? Do they really work?

2. Can babies really learn to swim at such a young age? He will be 6 months next month.
February 1st, 2007, 10:33 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cool, I just posted a similar question in my PR I'm also terrified of water and I can't imagine how I'll dunk Nolan's head under water Most of my friends use Little Swimmers, but I had found some reusable swim diapers at Walmart last summer-I'm not sure how they'll work. I think I'll register Nolan for lessons in March if I don't wimp out!

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!
February 1st, 2007, 10:55 AM
mommytothree
Since I'm a BTDT mom I'll tell you what I've learned.

1) swim diapers only keep poop out of the water, they do not hold pee but pools know that and pee is steril anyway (but yucky I know) plus there are chemicals in the water to help keep it clean.

2) they have mommy and me swim classes that are just mom and baby hanging out in the water splashing around

3) you can not trust a child to know how to swim until at least age 4 but more likely 5. They just don't understand enough about water safety or if they are in trouble until then. You can teach them to swim around 3 but don't believe that they are safe. You still need to be right there in the water with them (this is from our swim teacher).

4) I started Sophie at 3 1/2 with swim lessons and it was a disaster. She wouldn't do anything the instructor asked. I had her go again last spring at 4 and she did better and was able to swim a little on her own. I expect this year she will really take off doing well. I learned to swim when I was 5 and I think 5 is a good age. You have enough coordination to really figure it all out and enough sense to have a healthy respect of the water. I will not be starting Corey until he is 4 1/2 (next summer).

Hope that helps!
February 1st, 2007, 12:18 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I think you should go for it

Me & my sister were both in the water from a very young age, and basically lived in the water during summer, until swimming got 'uncool' around the age of 11

on the flip side, my cousin is 9 & she can't swim yet. Her Mum only started taking her swimming last year, and it really is sad, becasue she gets left out of things at school because everyone else in her class can swim.... Plus I think there is the whole safety aspect as well... Sadly if she fell into the deep end of a pool, or into deep water, I don't think she'd be able to get herself out

Going to the Mums & Bubs swimming might help you to become a bit more comfortable in the water as well! I have a friend who was afraid of the water, and for that reason, she took her baby to mums & bubs swim classes, and she is now really confident in the water. she said to me she'll never be an olympic swimmer, but that she now knows enough to save herself & to have FUN in the water.

I live in NZ so can't really recommend a particular brand of swimming diaper, but I used one when I took Gaby to the pool for the first time, and lol got home and it was full of poop, but none of it escaped into the pool!

I'm hoping to take Gabs for lessons once she's 6 months old - looks like there will be a few of us doing that in the near future!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search