help with selling on Ebay

Forum: Swap Shop - For sale by mommy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Swap Shop - For sale by mommy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Super Mommy
I was just thinking that I would start to sell thigns on Ebay, not as a job, just for a little extra cash. I havent really done this before, does anyone have any tips/tricks/ideas? thanks in advance
</div>

</div>
January 30th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Shellberry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hi-be sure to put some 'terms' in your auction listing (ie- paypal only, items shipped with d/c)
things like that
February 3rd, 2007, 12:32 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Post a ton of pictures. If you have a photobucket account, you can post unlimited amounts of pictures into the description for free. Just use the "html" option when creating the auction.

Also, be sure to take all of the fees into account when you're setting your minimum price. (listing fees, final value fees, paypal fees, and packaging fees).

February 5th, 2007, 02:43 PM
berrygirll's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! I just posted this reply for a similar topic today. I hope you don't mind that I'm copying & pasting! It's rather long and I didn't want to re-type.
This mostly pertains to seliing clothing but there are points for anything in general as well. HTH

I have been selling on ebay for awhile now (actually getting ready to list more of dd's Gymboree clothes :-) and do pretty well. Of course it's only Gymboree & occasionally Baby Gap clothes and these get the best market value, imo. I just sold 2 small lots of her (used) Gymbo clothing and got $115.
I have found these things help:
1. A good title. List the name brand in capitol letters and if it's new with tags (NWT) or excellent used condition (EUC) along with the size. Always be honest about any flaws.

2. Pictures. Take a shot of the whole thing (outfit or lot) for your gallery picture (this helps too by the way) and then close-ups of any detail on the clothing such as an embroidered flower or pretty trim.

3. *IF you can* This cost money but I subscribe to Seller Sourcebook ( I pay $60 for a year but you can also just pay for a month to try it out or 3 months, whatever). It has beautiful matching auction templates with hundreds of themes and everything is pre-loaded with designs, fonts, etc. You just type in the info., add your pics (many as you want) and get the html code. Copy & Paste it into your ebay description and you're done! And you only pay for the gallery pic (.35)
Like I said, it does cost but if you want to sell part or full time I think it's worth it. If you only sell a few times a year, then it's not. JMO I've found that you get much better results with professional looking auctions than not and you don't have to pay ebay's fees for listing designer & extra pics.

4. If you're selling more than one item, include a link to your other auctions such as "See my other auctions!"

5. Make starting price low. I start all my auctions at .99 unless it's an electronic piece (ex.-camera) or something. If your item/s are worth money, you will get it. Things have a way of finding their own value.
I'm too scared to buy clothing then try to sell it for profit, lol. I thought about it but then decided to buy Layla good clothing, let her wear it, then sell when she's outgrown them. I get most of my money back and don't have to worry about making a profit. At that point (usually a year later) it's all profit for me, lol!
She's our last child so I only keep special things & sell the rest (to buy more!) :-)
**Also--sell according to season. Now is not a ogod time to list winter things. People want to buy spring/summer clothes now. I am selling dd's clothing from last summer. In August I will list her fall/winter clothing. A good rule is that whatever the stores are selling, that's what you should be selling.**

6. Postal scale. I have a scale not only for ebay items but also my hairbows I sell. You can weigh your item/s ahead of time when they're packed for total weight. Then either let the bidder figure out how much say...3lbs. is to his zip or you can give an approximate amount. I also have self-sticking labels to print out and mailing bags. I stick everything in my mailbox or beside it if it's in a box, etc. and the mail carrier picks it up. I never need to go to the post office.
You don't get jipped on shipping & neither does the buyer.

That's all I can think of right now. Here is a link to one of my ended auctions (started at .99 and ended at $68 for a lot of 12 pieces of clothing (used by my dd), you can look and see if there's anything you can use or ideas for your future auctions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110080893559

Good luck!
And wasn't sure if you said you had Photobucket or not. Just go to Photobucket.com for a free account.
*you don't need it with Seller Sourcebook* but it's still a good place to store your pics.
Jake (16)
Sam (13)
Layla (9)
stepmom to:
Kayleigh (20)
Emilee (19)
Madison (7)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search