TMHC #2: Blending Modes

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Contests and Challenges LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
(If you're in SSSC you should see a pattern here )
I love blending modes there is so much you can do with them to edit a photo and help it go with your page. Plus, they come with all programs so it saves on buying overlays and such. There is just so so much you can do with them! Here's two examples of pages that I used noticable blending modes on the photos:

Now, even though they are really noticable in those photos I use them on almost ALL of my photos in the editing process. Here are some tips and examples of the different types.
• Most important tip: always make a duplicate layer of your picture before applying modes. Blending modes tend to work by using several things, the biggest of which is lowering the opacity of the picture. You are going to want the original not just to have a back up, but also so that once the opacity has been lowered it doesn’t show any of the elements or designs behind your picture.
• USE TINTS. Make two duplicates of your picture and apply a color tint to the first copy. Then use the blending modes on the second. (make sure the tinted pic is under it). Different color tint scan give different feelings to a pic. Blue, will give it a calmer brighter look, also a summery or underwater appearance. Yellow will give it a really bright, slightly antiqued look. Using different reds, oranges, and browns give you pic different levels of oldness and warmth. Black and white photos under a picture with blending modes tend to brighten the colors and increase the shadows.
• PLAY WITH LEVELS. Play with the color, lighting, and contrast in your picture. You will find that increasing or decreasing these can cause different blending modes to look completely different.
• HAVE FUN. Have fun with playing with the blending modes. As long as you have your original you can’t hurt your photo, and as long as you remember to make duplicates you can build on the blending modes you use. Make several duplicates of your photos and use several different modes. Blending modes give you a way to have more fun and edit and play with your photos even more!
PS and PSE Users these can be found right above your layers area in a drop down menu that should say NORMAL. GIMP users this is called Layer Modes in your program. PSP users I don't know where your's is, sorry.

Just a few examples!

mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
July 24th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to nvr.4.gtn
this is a good one, I tend to stick with the same things and this is not one of them. I will give this a whirl as soon as I can

Made by Trish!!!! <3<3<3

July 25th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry but I am a bit confused. What is a mode? What is overlay and how do you get it?
Quote: "...as long as you remember to make duplicates you can build on the blending modes you use. Make several duplicates of your photos and use several different modes."
what do you mean by "build on the blending modes"? do you mean doing different layers of the same picture but having a different mode on each one?

I can't wait to learn more on this; I think this will be fun to experiment with!

Mommy to Briana - 10, Laura - 9, Kainan - 8, Sara - 6 1/2 , Andrew - 4 1/2 and Nathan - 2

I Love Yoli ! Ask Me Why!!!

July 25th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Linz's Avatar Slacker Extraordinaire
stealing one of trish's siggy school screenshots (for a different lesson, lol)

at the top of your layer pallete, you should see something like this (may look slightly different, depending on what program you use). the circled drop down is used to adjust the opacity, the other drop down (on the left -- says "normal" by default) is used to change your blending mode.

and yes, you understood the other part correctly... just duplicate the photo layer and change the blending mode on the top photo layer.

**thanks to trish for C's birthday siggy**
July 25th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
thanks Linz.
can I make the same effect by doing a light opacity eraser over the entire image ?

Mommy to Briana - 10, Laura - 9, Kainan - 8, Sara - 6 1/2 , Andrew - 4 1/2 and Nathan - 2

July 26th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
hey! I think I found "modes". It pops up when I use the brushes. I've played a tiny bit with these before and remember I told myself I wanted to learn more about them. Here's my chance!
I'm excited about this

July 28th, 2008, 08:12 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
thanks linz for answering that. and steal all the screen shots you want.

Julie, to answer your new questions...
You don't HAVE to keep re-duplicating your images over and over, you can apply as many modes as you want to one, but once i get mine to something, and really like it, i duplicate it before adding any more in case i really mess up and ruin the picture. Here's an example.
This is the original photo in my siggy:

i didn't do much actual editing except to change the lighting and coloring.
i then duplicated the pic, and applied the overlay mode to the duplicate. (Always have a copy of the original after you do your regular editing) Next I added a blue tint, and used color burn on it. Finally (not a blending mode) I added an inner glow to just the bottom right corner and changed the color of the glow to a dark brown. I hope that helps some, and yes, I duplicated each layer before adding the next bit. I just go back and delete all the duplicates when I'm done.

(editted to add siggy because i think i'll make a new one while i can today)
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
July 28th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks guys. I love this place You are so kind and quick to help

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search