frusterated

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blinkie School LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2008, 07:33 PM
FruitLoopLace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to FruitLoopLace Send a message via Yahoo to FruitLoopLace
I am so upset. I cant get my blinky to change colors or blink or change the the ms, it keeps going back to 100. I just have NO CLUE what I did wrong, and it is so ugly!

Thank You Ashypoo03 for my Beautiful Siggy
May 9th, 2008, 08:07 PM
SillyMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to SillyMama
What program do you use? Can you post what you have so I can see it?

May 10th, 2008, 06:32 AM
FruitLoopLace's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to FruitLoopLace Send a message via Yahoo to FruitLoopLace
I used the gimp they told me to use

I know it is an ugly color but I just tried to get the hang of it before I did anything with it.

Thank You Ashypoo03 for my Beautiful Siggy
May 12th, 2008, 12:38 PM
SillyMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to SillyMama
Hmmm, well I have never been able to figure out GIMP so I am no help, sorry, but I know at least a couple of the girls here use it so maybe one of them will see this and be able to tell you how to fix it.

May 15th, 2008, 03:34 PM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I use Gimp for all of my blinkies, they aren't as fancy as some of the other programs out there but they do get the job done. And the gimp lessons can be confusing. Let me see if I can't figure out an easier way to explain gimp.

Okay, File, New, type in the lenght and height of the blinkie. I generally use around 150-200 for length and 20-30 for height. Make sure it is in pixels. Zoom to 400x or 4:1 ratio (makes the borders and such much easier to do).

Choose your background color. Click on the paint bucket and then click the paint bucket in your blinkie.

Next, to do the border, click ono the Layers button on top, click add new layer, and click okay. Now in your layers, channels, and pathways box, you should have two things, background, and new layer. Close the eye on your background and make sure you select the new layer (should be highlighted in gray). You should see a light gray dark gray checked area the size of your blinkie.

Pick the color you want to use for your blinking border. Click on the pencil icon and choose circle (03) brush for the borders. Now starting in the upper left hand corner, make your first dot. It will be 1 and a half squares wide. This will take a little practice depending on the border effect you want to acheive. To have continuously running dots all in one color, Start in the upper left hand corner (light gray square) make your pencil mark. Skip the next light gray box, and in the next one, another pencil mark, all the way around.

Once the border is done, add a new layer. Make sure New layer #1 is selected and fill in the spaces in the second layer. The principle is the same, if you are using more than one color, start in one corner, count out the number of spaces necessary for the number of colors. If you are using 3 colors, start with your first color in the cornor, skip 2 light grays and add the color in the 3rd light gray square. When you add your new layer, just move your start color over one square, and if you are doing three colors, add one more layer and start your first color in the 3rd light gray square on the 3rd new layer.

Now, in the Layers, Channels, Pathways box, duplicate you background layer and move it up under the new layer. repeat the number of times necessary for the number of border layers you have. Your order should always be text (get there in a minute), border layer (usually new layer#...) background.

Okay, now on to text. Choose the color text you want, and click on the A. Now choose your font, and size (can always be adjusted. Click the curser on your blinkie. A pop up window where you type will appear. Type your text. Close the window when done and use your arrows to move the text to wear you want it.

Duplicate enough text layers so youi have one for each background/border layer. For more than one phrase, duplicate each of your border layers and the appropriate number of background layers. If you wish to change your background layer for the next phrase, click on the color you want, click on paint bucket, and then click on the new background layer. Duplicate your previous text layer, move it into position, and then click on the A icon. Click on the text and clear it using the popup window and the clear button on top. Type in your new text. Duplicate enough text layers for each background/border you have.

Repeat this process until you have all the phrases you want. You will end up with a large number of background layers, new layers, and text layers.

To get a rough idea on what your blinkie looks like, go to filters, animation, playback, and then click play on the popup.

Now a few words to the wise. In the layers, channels, and pathways box, you will see all the different layers. You only want the eye open on the layers you are working on (text, border, background). If there is an eye open above the layer you want, you will only see that layer. To close a layer from view, click the eye, and the eye disappears. to open it, click the area where the eye should be. Also, make sure the layer you want to be working on is highlighted (dark gray when in the layers, channels, pathways box, light gray when out).

Okay now that you have all your layers in place, we are going to merge them so your border/background/text are all one layer. Go to your layers, channels, pathways box and close all the eyes. Go back to the top and open the eyes for the top text layer and border layer. Select the top text layer. On your blinkie, click layer, then merge down. This will merge your text layer and border layer. Now open the eye on the background layer. The eye for the merged text/border layer and the eye for the background layer should be visible. Make sure the text/border layer is selected. Now go to Layer, and click merge down. Now you have merged your text/border/and background all into one layer. Repeat for all of your layers.

Once you have done this, you want to duplicate the layers for each phrase a few more times. Ideally, you want 4-6 layers of text per phrase. So if you have three layers, start with your bottom layer, duplicate, move to top of this phrase. Second layer, duplicate, move up 3, third layer, duplicate, move up three. Repeat with each phrase you have.

Once you are done, go to filters, animation, playback, and play it. This will show you what your blinkie looks like.

Click file, save as, and name your file, select place to save, then click on select by file type (by extension). Choose the GIF image. click okay. New pop up. In the top half multiple choice thing, select save as animation (the bottom option), and don't change anything in the second thing they ask you. Click export.

New pop up. Make sure loop forever is selected. I don't usually change they delay for unspecified frames since I have many duplicated layers for the phrase, but this is where you slow down or speed up the blinkie. Higher numbers, slower speed. Then click save.

Open it on your computer and view it. If it blinks to fast or too slow, resave it (check replace) and then change the time between frames where unspecified.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, please feel free to pm me or post another question.

*I also figured out how to add pictures (well very simple pictures) so if you want that info, let me know too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search