Circle Blinkie

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blinkie School LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 15th, 2007, 11:39 AM
SPinkD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SPinkD
Making a Circle Blinkie - Photoshop

This tutorial was made using Photoshop CS2. I know it can be used with CS3 and pretty sure most older versions will follow this tutorial as well. Some steps may be slightly different...so if you find see a step that doesn't match your version and figure out how to do it...please post it in this thread to help other makers along!

This tutorial is based on the assumption that you have already completed photoshop lessons: One, Two and Three

We are going to learn how to make this:

Step One
Start with a perfectly square canvas. You probably want to do at least 200 x 200...I know 100 x 100 ends up being a little on the too small size. We can readjust the actual size later, so better bigger than smaller. I am going to use a canvas size of 300 x 300, transparent background and 72 dpi.

Step Two
Choose a square brush. I am using the size 8 for this tutorial. Change the spacing to 201% as shown in the picture below.

Step Three
Start on the very edge of your canvas, hold down your shift button (keeps the line straight) and paint a line all the way across your canvas. It should look like this:

This is not a necessary part of this step...skip if it confuses you.
Now, each size brush will be different, along with the different size of canvas, so this part of step three is just for these exact settings. Once you have your line drawn, select your move tool (top right tool) and hit the right arrow button on your keyboard 8 times. For some reason this helps even out the gaps in the dots when it becomes a circle. Again...don't let this part of this step confuse you...if you don't get it...just don't do it. It should look like this now:

Step Four
Go to Filter > Distort > Polar Coordinates. Make sure settings are the same as the picture below. You will see your dots have changed to a circle. If your canvas isn't exactly square as I stated in step one...your circle will be distorted.

Step Five
Duplicate this layer. Go to Edit > Transform > Rotate. A box will appear around your dots. Take your mouse, click and hold when you see the little round arrow thing pop up. Move your mouse to the left or right...which ever you prefer. You will notice that your circle is rotating with the movement of your mouse. Stop rotating when best you can eyeball, it looks nearly a solid line around the circle. It won't be a perfect solid line, but close. When you are satisfied...double click inside the rotate box and it should disappear. Should look like this.

Step Six
Now...I like to go ahead and resize my dots and my canvas the size I want to make my blinkie now. But...if you don't want to do that or just want to skip this step for your first time through...go for it. Go to step Blank Seven. Okay. I like to make mine circle blinkies...100 x 100. So, create a new canvas that size. Now, go back to your original document. Highlight the two circle dot layers. Right click on them in the layers palette and choose duplicate layers to and then choose your new document.

Minimize your original document for now. You will probably end up closing it out with no further work to be done, but better to keep it around for now, incase you mess up or something. Now, go to your new 100 x 100 document. You will notice that the circle is nowhere near the size or position on the document that it needs to be. Make sure that you have BOTH of those two circle dot layers highlighted. Go to Edit > Transform > Scale. You may have to maximize your screen at this point, so you can see the whole thing. First, click in the box that shows up and drag your circles more to the center of the canvas, so you can see. Holding down your shift key (very important), start with one of your corners and drag it in to make the box smaller. Once you have the whole circle (you may have to drag it up to the canvas again) inside your canvas, double click to complete the transformation. I then like to kind of eyeball and center my circle with the move tool...making sure both of these layers are still highlighted. If they aren't, you will only move one circle at a time and you will get all out of whack.

Step Seven
Go to your shape tool and choose the custom shape. Select the "skinny circle" shape.

Choose a color...I am going to use red, so you can see. This is kinda tricky. Holding down your shift key and draw a circle around your dots. You can move your circle around while keeping hold of your mouse button, the shift key and the space bar. That way you can move it to position it closer over your dots. It will take some practice, but you can do it! My circle isn't exact...sometimes you can get it exact and sometimes not...nobody will notice as long as it is close. When you have your circle how your want it, right click on the layer and rasterize. Drag this layer below both your dot layers if it isn’t already. It should look like this…if you turn off one of your dot layers.

Step Eight
Use your magic wand tool (2nd tool down on the right) and click inside the circle on the layer with the circle shape you just made. This should select the inside part of your blinkie. You can then (on a new layer) take your paint bucket and paint the back drop for your blinkie whatever color you want. I used white.

Step Nine
Now you have your basic set up for your blinkie. If I were you at this point I would save it as a photoshop document as a template. That way next time you want to make a round blinkie you can open it from here and just go (changing the colors with layer styles)! Now all you need to do is add your text and then animate it like any other blinkie. And there you have it!!
August 31st, 2007, 01:03 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, I feel dumb here:

Quote:
Highlight the two circle dot layers. Right click on them in the layers palette and choose duplicate layers to and then choose your new document.[/b]
I can't seem to highlight both layers at the same time (using Photoshop 7.0) - I tried holding down both shift and control (separately, of course) but still can only highlight one at a time. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
August 31st, 2007, 02:08 PM
SPinkD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SPinkD
Quote:
Okay, I feel dumb here:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Highlight the two circle dot layers. Right click on them in the layers palette and choose duplicate layers to and then choose your new document.[/b]
I can't seem to highlight both layers at the same time (using Photoshop 7.0) - I tried holding down both shift and control (separately, of course) but still can only highlight one at a time. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
[/b][/quote]

Lock them like we did in lesson 1...ps7 doesn't let you highlight them like that...but it is the same thing.

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

August 31st, 2007, 03:04 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, that makes sense - thanks!

December 26th, 2007, 08:12 AM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i hope this works

also how do i get rid of the square background layer?

it didnt work...poo

how come it didnt work...

i dont have a "save as optimized...." i have "save" and "save as"

December 26th, 2007, 03:35 PM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
it is a piece of crap but i got it to work

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search