My dream

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Madylyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Madylyn Send a message via Yahoo to Madylyn
Ok I've been tossing this around in my head for years now and just can't get started. I think I lack motivation. I am a photographer and a digital artist ( I restore photographs, do digital art, etc.) I've worked that as 2 different jobs in the past, plus taught photography and darkroom classes several times. I love photography, I know I'm good at it, and what I really want to do is be a photographer, always thinking I had this great idea to be a pet photographer until I realized I wasn't the first one with that idea. =P
Then I thought, well I can restore photographs, maybe advertise in antique stores and such.
Here are some examples of my photo restorations: http://www.pbase.com/auriga/photo_restorations
And my photo art:
http://www.pbase.com/auriga/photo_art
And my photography in general:
http://www.pbase.com/auriga
This is my passion. There are so many thing I've wanted to do...sell greeting cards, sell my prints, write a book with my photography, I just love doing it. The only thing is, I don't have great equipment. I have a pretty good scanner, I've got a good camera, no printer. I know all the items I DO want but we are far from being able to afford it now and last thing we need is something else to pay for so I'm trying to save up.
For those that have their own business, any suggestions? I need to get off my duff, too lazy now!!!
BTW I've won awards for some of my photos, had one sold in a local store, I also do restorations & portraits for friends. I think I'm just scared to have strangers pay for me to do stuff!
Thanks for all the help!

Megan

Check out my pics & my blog!
November 16th, 2005, 08:17 PM
mommyang's Avatar Veteran
I think if youre looking for supplies for your business for really good deals- check out eBay, seriously, they have some really awesome deals. I just started mine and have gotten sooooo much of my stuff there! Im sure you can find a really good printer for almost 1/2 the cost. Buy used and you'll save even more. Hey, all you need are somethings to get you started, and once you get a decent profit, you can buy better! They have EVERYTHING and ANYTHING you could possible need.

Good Luck and DONT second guess yourself. It sounds like youre not only going to be good at your work, but you'll LOVE every day of it and thats what matters the most!
November 17th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Alice's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My husband is a teacher who does photography on the side with a local studio. So while I don't really know a lot about it, this makes a lot of sense to me:

Right NOW, TODAY!!!! get the word out in your community that you'll take kids/famly Christmas pictures. Although my husband does ours, I've heard the horror stories of people who wait for hours with screaming kids.

Got to vistaprint and have some free business cards made up. It will be worth the price to have them shipped ASAP, since the season is upon us. For backgrounds, find a nice evergreen tree, or invest in a huge swatch of red or green fabric-- cheap is good!!, and zoom in on the kids faces-- say from the shoulders up; no one really cares about the cutesy background, they want to see the kids!!

Do you have a program that will allow you to print a CD with the pictures? You can show the families the pictures on your computer, give them a CD and they can go to CVS or Walgreens-- wherever, and have their pictures printed up. The beauty of a digital camera is that they KNOW They're happy with the results, since they've seen them. So you don't have to feel funny about being paid; it's not like you're ripping them off!

Think about taking an ad out in your local pennysaver and see where else you can post.. try the bulletin boards at supermarkets and laundrymats, ask pediatricians and dentists and everyone else who deals with kids to help you put the word out.
Ask the PTA and anyone else you can think of.
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
<a href="http://siggiez.com/countdownz/ch/index2.cgi">
November 17th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Madylyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Madylyn Send a message via Yahoo to Madylyn
Thanks for your great advice. I decided I don't quite feel ready to advertise to the public, but I did decide to jump on the holidays photos idea. I put together a flyer and am making up a price list and having my husband tell his coworkers about it. He works on an AF base so he knows a lot of people. It's a great start and I'll feel more comfortable starting out with acquaintences. I'm also extending to some of the pregnant wives up there, offering to do belly photos and such. Never done that before and think it would be a lot of fun!
Thanks for all the help. Going to go print out some model releases and get started on my ideas!

BTW I am working to get my digital camera (the D20..it's about $1200 retail) so for now I just have my trusty old Rebel 2000. I'm a total film person, but i've decided to get the photo CDs made with the negs so I can work on the photos digitally. I've entered the digital world, but I prefer to stick to negs =)

Check out my pics & my blog!
November 17th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Alice's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck!

Peter LOVES anything Canon... he helped a good friend get his wife a Rebel a few years ago, so I assume it's a good choice.

I've got to admit, it's all Greek to me. I can do calculus, but don't ask me about F stops and all that inverse ratio stuff... Peter has explained it a million times, but it's just not something that I can remember. (Besides, that's what I have him for! )

But I bet you could do really well with Christmas photos. So many people dread the whole Sears/Picture People experience. (I just read a post about it on the Toddlers ( I think) board) You'll be providing a real service, and your timing is GREAT!!!

Let me know how it goes!

Good luck!
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
<a href="http://siggiez.com/countdownz/ch/index2.cgi">

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search