Medical Transcriptionist???

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was just wondering if anyone out there does this from the their home. I got some info in the mail the other day about an at home program that will train on doing medical transcription. I was just wondering if anyone had done this and if so how much money that you can actually make doing this from your home.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks
February 1st, 2005, 10:21 AM
CocoHunny's Avatar Foxxy Mommie
Send a message via AIM to CocoHunny
i asked this same question about 2 weeks ago and i got no reply

wanting,but waiting (sigh)
February 2nd, 2005, 02:11 PM
jen1978's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jen1978 Send a message via Yahoo to jen1978
i'm not sure but i think you can make decient money. all i know is that you can do it pretty much any time you want to
February 24th, 2005, 06:11 AM
TulipDawn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TulipDawn
I actually just signed up for a course this morning. It's through Meditec.com. I researched ALOT before I did anything. I looked into schools costing from $500 to $7000 and found that this one is the best for my needs. There is no time limit for you to finish (which is great when you have children or, like me, one on the way). The best is that the basic course comes with everything you need except a medical dictionary which you can find for about $50... Plus, the customer service is great and they will link you with someone that is taking the course already or is using the course for their business.

My husband and I had been talking about this for quite some time and since he is in Iraq we thought this would be a great way to spend my time waiting for him to come home.
February 24th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've also been looking into a program with Education Direct.

I think the medial transcription is like $500 something, and my mom who works in the med. field said it wasn't smart to spend that much money when you don't even need the degree [whatever] to do that, just typing skills.

Anybody else used Education Direct for anything?
March 17th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
I'm about to test for it. It has taken me the full year, but this has been a heck of a year! I've been pregnant twice with a miscarriage shortly after I signed up! I too signed up with Meditech. I'm not sure I would recommend it. It seems better than some and the price is right but looking around I do wish I had gotten the Air Force to pay for it and gone to one of the big three. Sounds like those have better success finding a job. I do belong to a message group of MTs though and most of them have gone through meditech and they do recommend it, and many of them are very successful. Its a great site with good info and they will answer your questions too. Its not a mommy site so I don't know if Patty would care if I posted it or not. I'll ask first. I am finding though that it looks like its going to be a little difficult to find work if you have no experience, but I'm not going to let that deter me. Finding a job in anything isn't all that easy these days. I figure all those other ladies had no experience either, and many of them are doing very well now. I did find a message site that about had me in tears though. It was negative, on the job, on the school I picked, on just everything. But I figure some people just love being miserable, so i avoid that site now. Its a big name too. Well anyway, if you'd like the message board site PM me.
March 17th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Fallen2Love@Feb 24 2005, 10:01 AM
I think the medial transcription is like $500 something, and my mom who works in the med. field said it wasn't smart to spend that much money when you don't even need the degree [whatever] to do that, just typing skills.*
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

I'm going to have to disagree with your mom a bit. Its a lot more than typing skills, you have to have quite a bit of medical knowledge to figure out what they are saying. Often they mumble or talk really fast and you have to know what they are talking about, so its a lot of anatomy and medical knowledge too. And the companies that hire don't allow higher than a 1% error margin. Unless you go through a local facility and someone knows you your going to have a really hard time getting hired with no training and no experience. Thats just my own opinion though.
April 10th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Regular
I enrolled in a learn-at-home transcription course, but dropped it before getting very far when a local transcription company hired me and trained me from home on their own. I have been working full time at home ever since (10+ years) and make at least twice what I was making as a university secretary. It has been a wonderful option for a single parent who homeschools her child! It has also given me time to investigate other ways to make money from home and currently I am starting another home business, wrapping candy bars, mint books and other wedding and baby announcement favors.

Now to learn web site building!

Best of luck to you in your transcription endeavors! It sure has been a blessing for me.

Homeschooler
April 11th, 2005, 01:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well now that gives me hope!! Did you apply with them and then they called you right after you started the course? How did you find them?
April 14th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Regular
I just called every transcription company in my area and told them I was enrolled in a course and that I had years of secretarial experience and knew some medical terminology and asked for a job. Everyone flat out told me no - that I needed 2 years experience. But one of them got desperate for immediate help and called me back and offered to train me! I was so thrilled for the opportunity to work from home and never again have to send my child to day care.

You can go to www.mtdaily.com if you want more info on MT training, job openings around the nation (both from home and in-hospital), etc. Good luck!

Homeschooler

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search