Does anyone make and then sell something

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 11th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Please don't advertise, but I would LOVE to hear about WAHMs that make and then sell a product.

Who does your product primarily target? How has your business grown over time? What product do you make now and have you ever made and sold something different than that?

This will also be kind of an idea thread!
Things I'm thinking are maybe gift baskets, jewelry, crafts, candles, bath and body items, woodwork, quilts, purses, clothes, etc - I know there are a lot of Moms on this board that make and sell so please tell us about what you do, why you do it, and to whom you sell to most!

Thanks!
March 3rd, 2006, 12:04 PM
berrygirll's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I don't make anything yet but I was thinking about making and selling infant/toddler girls hairbows! It looks fun.
Jake (16)
Sam (13)
Layla (9)
stepmom to:
Kayleigh (20)
Emilee (19)
Madison (7)

March 5th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great ideas!!!

I have an online friend that sells cloth wipes (can be used as wipies, washcloths, napkins, whatever) and "wipes solution" which is cut up glycerin soap that's infused with healing stuff like tea tree oil and lavendar to mix with water to moisten the wipes. They sell like hotcakes!

I also think that being able to make diapers would be awesome!

or purses... lol

The woman that I represent sells candles, tarts, lotions, body sprays, gift baskets, etc that she hand-makes. Supplies are cheap at http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com if anyone is interested in that kind of thing!
March 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Regular
Quote:
Great ideas!!!

I have an online friend that sells cloth wipes (can be used as wipies, washcloths, napkins, whatever) and "wipes solution" which is cut up glycerin soap that's infused with healing stuff like tea tree oil and lavendar to mix with water to moisten the wipes. They sell like hotcakes!

I also think that being able to make diapers would be awesome!

or purses... lol

The woman that I represent sells candles, tarts, lotions, body sprays, gift baskets, etc that she hand-makes. Supplies are cheap at http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com if anyone is interested in that kind of thing![/b]

Well, my Grandmother and I started making these vintage-style baby changing pads, with matching bibs and burp cloths. Started when my friends saw mine, then wanted their own. Then we started selling them and my friends kept wanting more for their friends, etc. So I figured it was a good market, but I think with handmade items you never really get back what you put into it. The minky chenille we use is like $17 a yard, so that is pricey, but people love that fabric. I think my Grandmother spends up to 5 hours making one set. They sell for $38, so it really isn't much of a profit margin. But it's been fun for her to do and for my friends and others to buy.
I'm trying to add to our product line. Just started making vintage-style hangers after I made some for my daughter and one of my friends wanted one.
So, for now I still have my regular job, not quitting anytime soon. But it is fun to make things and sell.
April 7th, 2006, 09:01 AM
KahlansMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to KahlansMommy Send a message via AIM to KahlansMommy Send a message via Yahoo to KahlansMommy
I used to make soap and lotions. My business was doing pretty well but after a rocky divorce I sold all of my supplies and everything and moved out of state. I would really like to get back into it but it's pretty expensive to get started. wholesalesuppliesplus.com is a good site, but there are tons of other nice sites out there. If you are interested in reading more, visit soapdishforum.com you will find a great community of soapers and tons of ideas and suppliers.
April 19th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
I'm literally determined to teach myself how to crochet ... I want to make baby items and other miscellaneous crocheted items and sell them either as individual items or gift baskets for all occasions.
So far ... I'm still just doing preliminary simple stitches and practising a lot to achieve my goal ... I hope to be doing this hopefully by August/September 2006.

**fingers crossed**

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
May 25th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Super Mommy
I've been selling my knitted and crocheted soakers. I'm pretty booked with orders right now too. I am working on getting a website up but I have to wait for my older brother to get down here to help me.
May 26th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
Quote:
I've been selling my knitted and crocheted soakers. I'm pretty booked with orders right now too. I am working on getting a website up but I have to wait for my older brother to get down here to help me.[/b]
Tootsiemomma .. you're going to be so proud of me ... I'm trying to do stuff like shell crochet and the pretty stitches praciticing a lot and doing not too bad ... so my goal of selling soon is still in the works.

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
May 31st, 2006, 02:10 PM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I make diaper bags and purses. I want to also make some breastfeeding covers and cloth diaper stuff too. I haven't sold a whole lot yet because I never have enough materials to build up an inventory. My mom and I also plan on making and selling Christian plaques once she gets moved up here.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 1st, 2006, 05:50 PM
kittycat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I make children's boutique clothing, bedding and gifts. I have a website (see siggy), and I also sell excess fabric on ebay, under the same business name.

I've been doing it for about a year, and have done quite well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search