Any ideas to PICK UP Business!!!

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Charizomai's Avatar Mommy to Three!
I've been at this for a few months now.. I think its been that long and business is really slow.. I know everyone says the first 6 months is trying and that is when most people want to quit. I dont want to quit because i really enjoy doing what I do..I just wanted to know how you all get your business.
I hand out business cards and post ads..
But nothing seems to be working.. I guess im just kinda depressed right now!

I happily Breastfed Alba for 5 1/2 months!!!!

Below is my weightloss ticker. This is not for the pregnancy weight to come off as it has pretty much all came off. The rest of it is just what I've been wanting to loose for a while now to get back to my healthier weight!

August 20th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's hard isn't it?

How are you doing with search engines? You can alway work on that.

Can you write articles? Lots of people say that submitting articles is a great way to get your name out there.

What about sponsoring contests?

Are you exchanging links?

That's all I can think of right now. Its tough.

Stitched For Kids - Personalized Super Hero Capes, Personalized Hooded Towels, Nap Mats, Personalized Father/Son shirts, Toddler Aprons!
"Like" us on Facebook!
August 20th, 2004, 04:23 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Here are my two cents. All businesses take time but if you are not making money then you need to work on marketing this better. Ideas for you.

Are you advertising in any way shape or form? If not I would work on that. I get most of my leads from mommiesmall from advertising. And most of my leads for Justmommies from search engines. So those are the two most important things to work on imo.

For advertising be smart. A lot of sites offer specials or sometimes even free advertising. When you see a good deal take it. I have found some free or very low cost places to advertise. Ask the girls here they may let you in on some they know of. They are better with that than me. If you do advertise be smart about it. Free advertising always take! Other ads be picky about. You can also look into bartering for advertising. I do that a lot with people.

Search engines - start working on this now! Get as many good quality links to your site as you can. You can find directories to submit to or you can do link exchanges. But start working on getting links to your site.

Also I will need to peak at your site againg but try some visual merchandising. People glance at your page. Try making one of your products standout some how. Or have a sale! People love sales. I know I do.

That is all I can think of right now. But I will be back with more when I come up with it.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
August 21st, 2004, 09:26 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Locally can you put your products in craft fairs or farmers markets?

something that would probably go over good with the Christmas coming up is to take your products and turn them into gift baskets mixing some of the products up together.

For online sales I notice you have zero google ranking, that is going to make a huge difference in sales. You need to start doing link exchanges with sites similar to yours with google ranking of at least 4. Linking with sites that have google ranking of less than 4 doesn't hurt you but doesn't get your ranking any higher. The higher your google ranking the closer to the top your site will be when someone searches for key words that are on your site. You can do alot of marketing that way without paying for anything.

If you don't have one get a stat counter for your site. I have a free one, it tells me who is coming to my site, what they are looking at and what they are searching in a search engine to get to my site. It will also tell you which advertising is working for you and which isn't.

On your site you also have zero key words listed in your meta tags. Search engines use key words to rank your site to give you a higher ranking in their search engines. With no key words they're not going to spider your site. You also don't have a proper title or description for your meta tags. They will help people come to your site when they search for your key words.
August 21st, 2004, 09:43 PM
Carrie I think you are right about the search engine stuff. But google hasn't updated PR in almost two months so she could very well have a lot better PR than what is showing up. Even her links in her sig at Justmommies help some. But I think that she would have a hard time optomizing for search engines anyway because her site is in frames. From what I understand some of these shops are hard to optomize because of the shopping cart place that people use. I don't use it so I couldn't say for sure but I have heard that it is a problem. I think the link needs to go to a main page that is not in frames. That could be optomized. This I think would be really hard to do.

Here is my favorite SEO link. It is a friend of mine's site. She is really sharp.
SEO scoop

I have done very little link exchanging with Mommies Mall. I need to get my butt in gear. I am not getting really any traffic from search engines and I am getting sales and recruits still. A lot of this is how and where you promote yourself. I know maybe I have an advantage owning Justmommies but I have made sales from just talking to people too.

Get out there and get the word out. Give out business cards send out emails. Have specials. Whatever you have to do. If what you are doing is not working then try something different.

If you want to brainstorm with me on AOL or Yahoo sometime that would be great too. Or talk to Nicole. She is really good at this!

August 22nd, 2004, 07:21 AM
Echo's Avatar Member
Send a message via AIM to Echo Send a message via Yahoo to Echo
You've been given some really great advice already. My suggestion is advertising! Can you try other sites and do link exchanges and such?

I am looking at advertising in a local magazine for parents. I know of some well-known sites that offer advertising (i.e. One Stop Diaper Shop) and I am planning on buying space at those sites. Doing that will certainly get you more traffic.

Can you put up your business cards and/or brochures at Wal-mart? They have that free advertising section by the doors ..

What about craft fairs? I noticed that you didn't have labels on your bottles - I know of a website that sells beautiful labels for these! If you want the link, let me know.

Also, a suggestion for your website: can you create a site that doesn't use frames? Maybe put up a picture of your products on the front page? This will create interest.

Good luck, hon! If you'd like to chit chat about this sometime, I'd be more than willing!!

August 22nd, 2004, 07:20 PM
Quote:
But google hasn't updated PR in almost two months[/b]
Um, actually Google updates it every 2-3 weeks. I have seen it happening on my site quite frequently.
August 23rd, 2004, 08:47 AM
Super Mommy
I was just about to add what Patty already said!

First, make your products the focus of your site! We need to see them when we get there, not have to search for them!!! The links on the side should be for the various products first and foremost, then add the extra things like sending a postcard and stuff like that! Plus, put some good pictures of your products right on the main page!

Also, I would LOVE to help you go frameless if you are interested! It is really easy and would only take me a few minutes! In fact, I might get started on it right away and just hope that you want the help! It does make a big difference!

<span style="colorurple">My Sweetdreams Baby~Shopping cart covers, hooded towels, superhero capes and more!</span>
August 23rd, 2004, 08:51 AM
Super Mommy
OK, got a couple more things to add! Do a better descpription of your products! Describe what they are and get some of your keywords in your description. For example, Just one of these luscious votive candles can add sent to a room for hours. Candle come in 8 delicious scents and are created in soft and subtle colors to help enhance the mood.... OK, that was just an example, but beef up the descriptions!!!!

Also, get better pics of your products!!! I like the candle pictures a lot! But the lotions and the gels are just pics of bottles. If you can somehow show the product in them, or have a label like Patty suggested and then add some color to the pics it would help too!!!

<span style="colorurple">My Sweetdreams Baby~Shopping cart covers, hooded towels, superhero capes and more!</span>
August 23rd, 2004, 10:06 AM
Super Mommy
OK, its me AGAIN!!!!! Just thought of a couple more things!

Have you submitted your products to froogle?

And have you submitted your site to dmoz? Those are two important steps!

August 23rd, 2004, 10:15 AM
Stephanie, don't get discouraged about the search engines or your PR. Carrie is correct google normally updates every two to three weeks but there is something going on with google right now. A lot of the SEO experts think it has to do with the fact that they are selling stocks. There has not been an update since June. I have done a lot of research on this and some of my friends that are SEO experts have helped me a lot.

Also even though you don't see a change in your PR, your serps (or how you pull up for searches for your keywords) change every day. So you can make a change and see a difference in a couple of days.

You have gotten a lot of good advice. Keep plugging along sweetie.

August 23rd, 2004, 02:21 PM
Super Mommy
Oh Patty I didn't know that about Google! Mama's Ark was launched in June and got a rank of 1 right away and I was excited but then it has just sat at 1!!! I have tons of good links and come up really easy on search engines so I wondered what was going on! Good to know!

August 23rd, 2004, 03:10 PM
Mommiesmall has been up since a little after yours. It still has a PR of 0. I know that I have links to it so its just because they haven't updated PR. They updated their backlinks a while back but they never changed PR. Don't be surprised when your PR goes way up, if they ever update. I am really curious to see what they are up to.

August 23rd, 2004, 04:40 PM
Super Mommy
Any idea when they should update them? I am so excited to see now!!!

August 23rd, 2004, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mysweetdreamsbaby@Aug 23 2004, 08:40 PM
Any idea when they should update them? I am so excited to see now!!!
Here is a link to a friend of mine's forum. They were talking about this today.

When will google update PR?

August 23rd, 2004, 08:25 PM
If Google hasn't updated pr since June than how do you explain page rank on my site and other sites I frequent going up several times since June(as recently as 10days ago)?
August 23rd, 2004, 09:12 PM
Super Mommy
It can get discouraging at time, can't it?!

The advice you've gotten so far is excellent!

I'd also recommend that you sign up for my free newsletter on my site http://www.ShowMomTheMoney.com . I'll be having contests to win free advertising. Also, I'll be including some of the free ad places I've found on the net during the week. It'll go out between 1-4 times per month, depending on the deals I find. Check it out. (It's a double opt-in, so be sure to watch for the confirmation email.)

And, I belong to several 'filler' boards, where we exchange flyers, coupons, etc.

Do you have coupons on your business cards? People are less likely to throw them away if they are 'worth' something.

I hope this helps a little. The most important this is that you have to stick with it in order to win!!!

Good luck!
Nik
August 23rd, 2004, 09:17 PM
Did you read the link I posted?

Here is another one that shows the latest PR? I don't know how you are seeing PR changes? I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing.

Here is another link to another site I like.
Google updates

August 24th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Charizomai's Avatar Mommy to Three!
I appreciate everyones advice and I am slowly working on it! Today my son is at preschool, so between cleaning the house and some other much needed work , I will do as much as I can on getting my site out there

I really appreciate all that has been said to help me out! Thanks a bunch!! :-)

I happily Breastfed Alba for 5 1/2 months!!!!

Below is my weightloss ticker. This is not for the pregnancy weight to come off as it has pretty much all came off. The rest of it is just what I've been wanting to loose for a while now to get back to my healthier weight!

August 24th, 2004, 08:00 AM
I downloaded the google toolbar which shows the pr on each site I go to, that's how I can tell whether pr is going up or down.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search