what to do with a 4 month old??

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Regular
I have 3 kids, two are older and were in daycare by the time they were both around six to eight weeks old. However, I work at home now and this baby is at home with me. But I'm lost. I don't know what to do all day with her?? It was easy for the first few months when she pretty much just ate and slept and rotated with that all day. Now she stays awake for longer periods and I feel like I don't do enough with her. The days seem so long sometimes.

Right now I rotate between the exersaucer, bumbo, holding her while I work and talk on the phone with customers, giving her tummy time or putting her in the PnP to lay with her toys. The older kids also play with her some throughout the day depending on the day of the week, since I also homeschool.

What do child care providers do with the little babies??
(2009)
January 16th, 2010, 10:38 AM
To me, 4-6 mos. old is the most fun age for babies and the best time to start teaching them because they can't say no Something fun to do is start teaching her Baby Signs - sign language. Just start with maybe two words for each month. Usually babies start with words such as "eat" and "milk". You can learn Sign Language on your own for free online. Ididone word per week with my two year olds and now they can understand more than 100 words! It's a lot of fun too because it's a special thing between you and your child that other people won't always be able to detect and a more interesting way to communicate with your child. Also, you can read to her, teach her one color per month -make foods, toys, everything about that color. Babies understand way more than we give them credit for. We are the only ones who limit them. And just because they may not be able to speak to us to let us know they "get it" doesn't mean they aren't making mental notes for later when they are able to. Have fun - it goes by so quickly
January 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I babysit a 6 month old and it's very similar especially if you have other kids or responsibilities. We have a similar rotation but I usually (if the weather is good) get them out for a walk or outside time. When we can't, the music is on and we dance. My boys dance and I hold the baby and dance with him. He actually does his own now, but it's face time, play time and then it changes the routine. Other than that, it's floor time, the jumperoo or exersaucer, eating, sleeping...

January 21st, 2010, 05:29 PM
ANGWife
You're right, just keep rotating activities.

I go between the exersaucer, playpen, bouncy seat, and his play area. I make a barricade with larger furniture pieces and items that are too heavy for him to move. It gives him alot of space. Granted, in your situation, you don't have to worry about crawling yet.

I also rely alot on being outside for walks and the local playground. Don't be too hard on yourself. Alittle attention and giggles go a long way for such alittle guy.
January 29th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Yep, I do rotation here too. And when weather permits, get them outside for some fresh air. Otherwise, sing, read books, etc. also.
February 12th, 2010, 03:48 PM
AprilJanellieBellie's Avatar Keepin Busy
I currently have a 4 month old in care, & yes you have to rotate. When I don't have too many kids I put her on a blanket in the middle of the floor & put toys a short distance away from her. She hasn't shown any signs of rolling over but I think this might help that. In the state of california we are not allowed to have jumper roo, swings, exersaucer, or bouncers. This make it a little harder with things to use.. I just got a bumbo, & she enjoys that. I also use a tummy time mat, & other things like this: Lady Bug Lucy Activity Play Gym - Pam Grace Creations - Toys "R" Us

Little Tikes 5-in-1 Adjustable Gym - Little Tikes - Toys "R" Us

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search