I Need Advice! Being taken advantage of

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2010, 08:59 AM
JJsmom's Avatar Veteran
I am a nanny for a 16 month old and I've been watching her 5 days a week 50 hours each week since the end of august 2009. I started out watching her in my hometown so it was only a 2 minute drive to her place and they started out giving me $250/week. I was getting gas about once every two weeks so the pay was very nice. They recently moved 45 mins away (in march) and I was still only getting $250/week despite having to drive nearly four hours every week to get there and back. Not only am I spending $50 a week on gas now, but I'm leaving my house at 6:45am and getting home around 7:30pm every night. Then the mother brought up the idea of another toddler coming over 2-3 days a week so she could split the cost of childcare with another family. I did NOT want to give up my job which I LOVE and so I said ok. Plus I don't know how to say no to someone. So I started watching a 13 month old 2 days a week (who is a handful by the way) and I'm getting $75/week from the new family and my other family dropped my paycheck from $250/week to $200/week. THEN!!!! She brought a news puppy English bulldog into the picture that I am also having to take care of. So I went from making $250/week watching ONE baby and never buying gas to $275/week watching TWO toddlers, a puppy, and spending $50/week on gas. I'm actually making less money now then when I started. Does this seem right to anyone else? I want to talk to her about it, but I'm terrified! I love my job and I love her daughter to death, but we want to start our own family next year and we're trying to save money for that. And I REALLY don't want to find another job. OH! and I just found out this morning that they paid $2200 for this puppy I have to watch and they are renovating their house this summer, but she told me she had to lower my paycheck bc they were struggling. Any advice?
May 13th, 2010, 10:54 AM
divinemom30's Avatar Super Mommy
I think they need to continue paying you what they were in addition to the 75/week from the new family.

May 13th, 2010, 02:28 PM
THE angry uterus
I agree, if they have the money for a $2200 dog and to renovate, then they should pay your original agreement, or she can take her daughter to a "public" daycare which might better suite her budget. Maybe you can find work closer to home again and things will work out better.
May 13th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Veteran
Sorry, but that is CRAP!! They are totally taking advantage of you and I bet they are not even telling the other parents that they drop their fee when they took on the toddler! So basically they are taking the other parent's money!! They are taking the $75 dollars and keeping $50 of it and basically paying you $25! That is insane! I would not tolerate that in the least.

Did they discuss lowering your fees? You don't just demote someone. That is insulting and I personally would not stand for it. Especially with the longer commute. You need to say something. And if they get upset, so be it, you are now taking care of 2 kids and a dog for less than $300 a week for 50 hours! I would rather work in an office for that. Way less stress and less hours for that kind of money.

You should speak up. No real boss in the corporate world would treat you that way. So they shouldn't either.
May 13th, 2010, 05:04 PM
JJsmom's Avatar Veteran
Thank you ladies for your advice. I completely agree with y'all I just wanted to hear it from someone else.

Mom2anna I like your spunk! Lol
June 4th, 2010, 04:57 AM
lindseyp1019's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would make a list and kinda "sell" it to them. Tell them there are some things on the contract you would like to discuss, and let them know how much you love working there, but you feel like some things need to change.
1. you are not watching their child any less, so they should not decrease your pay just because you are also watching another toddler.
2. Potty training and taking care of a puppy was not in the initial contract, and while you don't mind doing it-you would also like to be compensated for it.
3. They were paying for your gas before they moved and you had also expected them to pay for your gas after they moved.

Your only getting paid 25.00 more to watch another toddler 2 days a week!? That is very low paying!! Some parents will take advantage of you all they can until you put your foot down. Once you point out to them what you are feeling they will more than likely agree!
I am very bad with confrontation also, I was thinking something like this may make it easier: "Now that I've been woring here for a while I would love to sit down and talk about a few things. How do you feel I am doing at this job? Is there anything you would like to see change or improve?" Once you give them a chance to speak their mind and they open up, it may be easier to talk about how you feel. Good luck!

*Lindsey, proud mamma to Kyle and Cade!*

Last edited by lindseyp1019; June 4th, 2010 at 05:00 AM.
June 10th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would also talk to them and bring up the points PP mentioned. Really, I wouldn't bring up the cost of the dog or the renovations though. However, bringing up the additional caretaking for the dog and another toddler. I'm sure their DC has grown to love you and I'm sure once they realize they'd be more then happy to fix the pay, or come to some type of agreement. Most nannies where I live get paid between 350-400 a week (1 to 2 kids, maybe a pet but they are usually in a yard and don't require much and some light house work or meal prep).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search