Etsy Sellers I have a few questions......

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi, if there are any Etsy sellers I'd love if you could answer a couple of questions for me.

1. does it cost anything to put a listing up? (like on eBay it costs like 25 cents to put a listing up.)

2. I realize that making the hair clip/sock monkey/greeting cards takes a little time but is the site easy to figure out? Would a newbie be able to easily figure out the site?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you to the wonderful ladies who mad the blinkies!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."
May 16th, 2010, 06:38 PM
1. If I'm not mistaken, I think it's 20 cents per posting and the items remains active for 3 months. (It's been a few months since I listed anything.) But it is definitely a flat fee for each item. Versus Ebay which has a sliding scale based on starting bid. Although similar to Ebay, Etsy still charges a commission once the item sells. One of the nice things is that if you forget to pay your fees, Etsy doesn't automatically withdraw your fees from your bank account like Ebay does. So that's also another bonus.

2. I have two shops on Etsy and they were both extremely easy to set up and control. The hardest part was getting the bank account/Paypal all set up. But after that, the actual listing of items is pretty simple. If I have an item ready to list, even including the time it takes to photograph and upload the image, it takes about 10 minutes to list one item. And if you're listing similar items, you can copy and paste the descriptions which saves a lot of time.

I've had good experiences with Etsy in general. Some sections are pretty busy with sellers crowding the market, but if you can fill a niche you'll get a bit of traffic to your shop.
May 16th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, it's 20 cents for each listing and I think 3% of each sale. I just make sure to calculate that into my final cost for each product so it doesn't cut into my profits.

I found the site pretty easy to figure out. I'm pretty computer/internet literate though, and I've used eBay many times. I think they have plenty of information to help you get started though and if you look through everything, you'll be able to figure it out pretty easily. When you list an item, it guides you through the process, so that makes it really easy.

May 16th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
All right, Thank you for your answers!

"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude..... These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are percisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character and increase our compassion for others."
May 17th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm really glad you asked these questions because Etsy is something I have just started looking into so I had some similar questions!

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

May 17th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty_X View Post
I'm really glad you asked these questions because Etsy is something I have just started looking into so I had some similar questions!
If you dont' mind my asking, what are you thinking of selling on Etsy?

I'm thinking of doing hand made cards.

May 17th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I'm also planning to sell cards mine are a very niche area as I've been designing LGBT greetings cards and looking for the best platform to start selling them before I decide whether to set up a dedicated website in the future.

Co-Host of

May 17th, 2010, 10:51 AM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty_X View Post
I'm also planning to sell cards mine are a very niche area as I've been designing LGBT greetings cards and looking for the best platform to start selling them before I decide whether to set up a dedicated website in the future.
I think that's a great idea
Our beautiful miracle baby..

Do you want to learn how to stretch your dollars further?
Come join us on the Frugal Mommies Board!
Latest Trip: Spent $90, Saved $400!
Latest donation trip: Spent $0, Saved $675!!!
Check out what I'm selling! Lots of baby/toddler things!

May 20th, 2010, 03:52 AM
PreciousBunz's Avatar Super Mommy
I have and use an Etsy account. It's .20C per item listed. I don't think that's alot but i've not had to pay selling fees. I offer custom diapers, so when the ladies see what they want, they email me to have me make it in an AI2, pocket or cover. It's great because i'm saving fees but bad because I don't get the "Feedback" that is so important. LOL
May 21st, 2010, 09:02 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What is Etsy??

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

May 25th, 2010, 07:45 PM
terrordactyl's Avatar sidecars are for *****es
etsy dot com

they stay listed for 4 months
May 31st, 2010, 12:32 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi all! This is my first time visiting this area of JM but I had to pipe in. I hope you don't mind!

Etsy is a wonderful place for selling your crafts! I've been using Etsy for a while now and have been very happy with them. Misty, I think your card idea will be a huge hit on the site. Most people who make cards on the site are geared towards weddings, birthdays and birth announcements. I'm certain that if you provide cards geared towards the LGBT community that you will quickly find a solid customer base as I've not noticed anyone who's items are geared towards this group.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
June 7th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks so much for your advice, Michelle! I am aiming to set up an etsy shop at the end of the month when exam time is over and my work hours are cut right down so I'll have the time to concentrate on doing it well. I am looking forward to exploring etsy properly and your feedback is reallty helpful!

Co-Host of

June 7th, 2010, 10:38 AM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You're welcome, Misty! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, I'll help you as much as I can (in other words, with anything I have the answers to LOL). And I saw your update on AIP yesterday...I'm so happy and excited for you! I'm glad that baby is doing well and snuggled in tight.

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search