Hi Moms! I need help finding an all-inclusive place...

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 31st, 2010, 08:28 PM
DeepSouthMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
to begin a website. I've searched through older posts here but haven't found an answer regarding an all-inclusive place. I am starting from the bottom up so I would need a domain name, hosting, templates, shopping cart, email addresses (just like 3 or so), the works...without it costing me a small fortune each month.

I have no problem paying for a site, but since this is a brand new venture, I can't start off paying $50 plus each month when I have no idea how much traffic will be generated. So does anyone have any suggestions as to where to go? I've checked out GoDaddy.com but in order to get enough shopping cart room (their basic only provides a 20 item catalog and I sell jewelry so I'll definitely have more than 20 items for sale), I'd have to upgrade to the next level which is $30 a month JUST for the shopping cart.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advice or help!

Michelle ~ Mommy to Joseph
June 1st, 2010, 08:44 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have any advice just want to wish you luck!!

What are you selling? Jewlery?

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

June 1st, 2010, 08:53 AM
Thank you! I am selling jewelry...I sell tiaras and Fleur Di Lis jewelry. Right now I sell on Etsy, but I'd like to start up a site so that I can sell a wider variety of items (Etsy needs to all be handmade).

June 1st, 2010, 04:22 PM
Have you looked into Wordpress?
June 5th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been looking around too, I'd eventually like to move off of Etsy and have my own website. My sister uses Wix.com (I believe that's what it is) and I just stumbled across Pappashop.com and both seem to have reasonable prices. Check them out!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

June 6th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Lauraubie's Avatar Super Mommy
I use hostgator for hosting. Cubecart, which is free for my shopping cart. And mals e commerce for my secure check out. If you use paypal for your payment method, which you can do through mals, then you wouldn't pay anything additional to accept credit cards.

I don't keep everything with 1 company because then if I am unhappy with one I leave and don't have to start over with everything. Good Luck!

Custom Photo Cards & Invitations ~ Peek at my Website ~ Like me on Facebook
June 7th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey Michelle!

So far I've not needed to look into a shopping cart with the sites I run so I don't have any experience of the best ones to look at but it's something I am currently starting to look at right now so I'm really interested to read the responses here too.

All I've used in the past is copying and pasting in links from Paypal for paypal payments which has avoided the need for a shopping cart, but those are on sites where people will not usually be buying more than one product.

Please let us know what you choose, we'd love to see your site when it's complete!

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

June 7th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breannag View Post
Have you looked into Wordpress?
No, I sure haven't, but I will definitely check it out! Thanks! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
I've been looking around too, I'd eventually like to move off of Etsy and have my own website. My sister uses Wix.com (I believe that's what it is) and I just stumbled across Pappashop.com and both seem to have reasonable prices. Check them out!
Thanks for the sites, I will check these out as well. While I love Etsy, I also want to generate more traffic by having my own site and two, if I'm going to pay fees, I'd rather it be to myself essentially. Even though I wouldn't be getting that money, it goes to someone else, at least that way I'm paying for something that I then own and can run my way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraubie View Post
I use hostgator for hosting. Cubecart, which is free for my shopping cart. And mals e commerce for my secure check out. If you use paypal for your payment method, which you can do through mals, then you wouldn't pay anything additional to accept credit cards.

I don't keep everything with 1 company because then if I am unhappy with one I leave and don't have to start over with everything. Good Luck!
That's a really good idea about not keeping everything with one company, I've never thought of it that way. This is why I'm here asking you ladies about this, I knew that I'd get good information from yall. And I do have a PayPal account and that is how I currently accept payments for Etsy, but I'd rather have an option outside of PayPal. Because while PayPal is probably the best out there (as far as limited number of messed up transactions, etc.), they still have a number of issues and a LOT of people refuse to use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty_X View Post
Hey Michelle!

So far I've not needed to look into a shopping cart with the sites I run so I don't have any experience of the best ones to look at but it's something I am currently starting to look at right now so I'm really interested to read the responses here too.

All I've used in the past is copying and pasting in links from Paypal for paypal payments which has avoided the need for a shopping cart, but those are on sites where people will not usually be buying more than one product.

Please let us know what you choose, we'd love to see your site when it's complete!
I will definitely come back and let yall know which services I choose to go with! As soon as the site is complete, I'll post a link for everyone to see.

Thanks ladies, for all of the advice and suggestions! It's definitely greatly appreciated.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search