How much could I honestly expect from a WAH job?

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 4th, 2010, 10:00 PM
iCathy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello! I'm Cathy and am mostly active on the Sept 09 PR. I am currently active duty military, but will be separating after 13 years in Jan 11. My DH and I and our 3 kids live in Fairfax, Virgina, which is very expensive. We are very settled here and don't plan to move anytime soon. My DH has a good job, but we depend on my salary for the mortgage, cc bills, ect... I will be recieving VA benefits once I separate, but I won't know how much until 2 months after separation. I have worked HR and personnel security for the past 13 years. I have a high clearance, and although I know I could find a job quite easily with my resume, my true desire is to be able to stay home with my baby, and future babies. I have thought of possibly working part-time, but with daycare costs, I don't know if we could make it. Just to pay the mortgage, I would have to bring in $30,000 a year. Is that even possible with a WAH job? Honestly? Or am I just grasping at straws and need to find a full time position? Thank you in advance for any insight, I really do appreciate it!!

Cathy

Thank you *Kiliki* for my sweet siggy!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
July 5th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there and welcome!

In all honesty it is going to be hard to make that kind of money from working at home, at least initially. It's not impossible but it's difficult. It depends a lot on the kind of work you are looking for and whether you are able to find a good work at home position. Many people who work from home do it for an extra income rather than a main income, but it is possible to make a full-time living working at home.

My DH actually works from home full time and makes a lot more than he did working in retail. However, he built up his work from doing a small amount a month to leaving his 'day job' over the course of about 5 years. He loves working from home but it isn't easy.

take some time to look through the archives of this board for some ideas about the kinds of jobs you are interested in doing and see how much others have been able to earn from them. What kind of area(s) are you most interested in looking into?

Good luck for the future and I hope you will stick around

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

July 5th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I'd have to say that it's unlikely unless you work for a company that allows you to work hourly from home or something along those lines. I do transcription work which pays relatively well and even doing that full time I only do between $25,000 and $30,000 a year and 30 is PUSHING it, it's typically closer to 25. If that's the MINIMUM you need to bring in, I'm not saying ot scrap the WAH idea all together but I'd definitely start thinking of outside the home options too and maybe seeing about a job that woudl allow you to work from home 2-3 days a week.
July 6th, 2010, 10:00 AM
iCathy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies!!

Cathy

Thank you *Kiliki* for my sweet siggy!!

Make a pregnancy ticker
July 6th, 2010, 09:54 PM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
I agree that you might not be able to bring in that much. What kind of at home job were you interested in? I think depending on what you start up, you might be able to make that much later on, but not right away.
Our beautiful miracle baby..
Welcomed after 2 years of TTC.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search