Is there anything....?

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2010, 01:37 PM
mrsracatoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mrsracatoe
Is there anything that I can do solely on the computer and be able to jump on and off as needed? Something that doesn't include using the phone or sales. I would like to do something like ChaCha but I tried to register and it said that I already have an account and I don't. IDK what is going on with that. Just need freedom because I am a SAHM and homeschool my son. Plus I am an Army wife and just want something to make some extra money and yet be able to stay flexible for ttc, my son, and my DH. Anyone know of anything?

July 16th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Maybe something like Avon or Mary Kay? Gold Canyon Candles? Transcription positions CAN be like that but you still need to commit to so many hours a day with most places and it's hard to get into without any experience.

Other than that check out Work at Home Jobs: Free Legitimate Work From Home Job Opportunities and see what works with your skills and then what each individual company requires of you.

Good luck!
July 18th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's weird about chacha - can you email them and ask about this or try with a different email address?

What kind of thing are you looking for? Are you interested in selling, writing, designing etc?

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

July 21st, 2010, 05:22 PM
I tried ChaCha with another email address but I guess that it goes by your SS#. I definitely don't want to do any sells or anything that involves phones. I can do work related to typing and be able to commit to it but it is hard to get into especially if you have no past experience with it. I also don't have a college degree or anything like that. Just high school. I am going to check out the link above. Thanks for the link! If any of you think of anything else please let me know! I have got to do something soon.

July 21st, 2010, 06:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You don't have to have a degree to do transcription but you do have to type (depending on the company between 75 and 80 wpm, be able to commit (typically) to at least 20 hours a week, purchase equipment, have usually 2 years minimum of transcription experience and 2 years of WAH experience...so yes it's very hard to get into. I lucked out with a local company but I did have previous office transcription experience.

These people were hiring a couple of weeks back, not sure if they still are or what their requirements are but you can check them out. They're legit:

Careers | Landmark Associates, Inc

That's about all I am aware of on the transcription without experience. But definitely look on rat race and go through the non medical transcription jobs and see what's offered for general and what the requirements are for each company. Just be parpared to spend at least $100 in order to start up.

Good luck!
July 21st, 2010, 07:40 PM
I feel like banging my head into a brick wall...I went through ratracerebellion and everything that I have seen for transcription is at least 2 years experience with references, etc. I haven't worked anywhere in years. I don't even know how or what to do about making a resume since it has been so long since I actaully worked. I checked the link for landmark and they have the minimum amount of requirements that I have seen so far. Now I need a resume. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do about creating a resume? I can type one up but I'm not really sure what to provide other than contact information. My previous work experience was years ago and had nothing much to do with computers. I was a manager at a fast food resturant but then my dh wanted me to become a sahm. Being a SAHM is not a qualification that you can provide for references and stuff like that. LOL I really should be though!!! LOL Once we get moved I will be able to commit to whatever hours I need to and all. I know that it will take some time for places to get back to me about being hired or not thats another reason I really want to get in asap.

July 21st, 2010, 07:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Do you have MS Word?
July 21st, 2010, 09:52 PM
Yes, I have MS word. I know how to make a resume but I don't know what to include in the contents of the resume since it has been so long since I worked. That is what I meant about the stuff I said about making a resume earlier. It's hard to get into WAHM positions without ever having done anything with WAH. Wow, what a cycle!

July 21st, 2010, 11:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsracatoe View Post
Yes, I have MS word. I know how to make a resume but I don't know what to include in the contents of the resume since it has been so long since I worked. That is what I meant about the stuff I said about making a resume earlier. It's hard to get into WAHM positions without ever having done anything with WAH. Wow, what a cycle!
Include your last 10 years of jobs (if there aren't too many). And make sure to account for ALL time, if you took a year off to go to school list the school for that time, when you left the work world to be a SAHM then put that down on there. It is considered work experience. Just make sure not to omit any years otherwise it looks like you're hiding something.

I will say that I had done NOTHING with WAH. I worked in a hotel for 2 years in high school, got married, had my son and was a SAHM for 4 years before I went back to working. I then worked in 2 law offices over the course of 2 years before I landed my WAH position that I've now been with for just had my 3 year anniversary. So it absolutely is possible. May take a bit of luck and some work but it's absolutely possible to come back from being a SAHM into the work world as well as get WAH positions.

Also check out stuff for admin, something like a virtual assistant would be a good thing as well. Check Craig's List for virtual assistant positions also.

Anyway, that's my advice having BTDT. Good luck!
July 22nd, 2010, 02:16 AM
I don't think having no work at home experience should be a big issue because everyone has to start somewhere, but it really depends on the kind of position. I really do feel for you because I have looked into many other avenues over the years that were not right, before I had children but had health issues that limited my ability to work outside of the home. It can be really difficult to find a position that matches your skills and availability and that brings in the right kind of income ((((((hugs))))))

As well as checking online try things like local newspapers or shop windows and community noticeboards for local companies that might need some part time work from home - they don't come up very often but they are another avenue to keep an eye out for.

Are you interested in writing? You could search for freelance writer websites and forums to see if you can pick up work from there.

Co-Host of

July 26th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Great Resume advice. Thats exactly what I was wondering about the resume. As far as working outside the home, thats not a possibility right now that I can examine for a number of reasons. I did sign up for Elance and searched through the website a few times now. I am hoping to luck up on there. I have looked into virtual assistants, admin, data entry, and etc. I will check out craigslist because I haven't thought of that site yet. Thanks for the help and advice. I appreciate it.

July 26th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Check out Virtual Office Temps online, they are free and have tons of jobs.
July 28th, 2010, 03:36 AM
My DH has found a few writing posts through Craigslist so definitely check it out. Mostly they tend to have short-term opportunities on there but if you get your foot in the door with a site that needs regular writers it can turn into much more. My DH has several regular clients so he generally looks for the short-term/one off opportunities when he has extra time but I have seen several posts looking for regular contributers.

Co-Host of

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search