late pickups. What do you do?

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hi everyone. I'm new to this board. I'm a SAHM of 2, and I do childcare for a little 2 year old boy in my home. I am supposed to have him every day from 7am to 5pm. His parents are almost always at least 10-15 minutes late picking him up, and often when they do get here they are in their car on the phone for a while before coming in to get him. Sometimes it's more like half an hour, but I have had them be almost 2 hours late on several occasions. They haven't paid me any extra for any of it, but I am going to start charging them because I am feeling frustrated and taken advantage of.

What do you think is reasonable for me to ask them to pay? Do you have late pick up policies, and do parents abide by them?

Thanks so much for your help.
July 20th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Albertachick's Avatar Regular
I charge a late fee. $10/15mins or portion of. (and that is per child so if they have 2 children then it would be $20/15mins)

Late fees are due at pick up or the very latest the next morning at drop off. If Parents do not pay then their child is not accepted into care.

Here is my late pick up/early drop off policy:
Children dropped off early (before their scheduled contract time) or not picked up (by their scheduled contracted time) result in an overtime fee of $10/per 15 minutes or portion of. Continuous early drop offs and late pick ups will result in termination. This overtime fee is charged based on your contract hours, regardless of my regular operating hours. I understand certain situations arise that is beyond Parents control, such as traffic, trains, weather, staff meetings running late etc, but unfortunately overtime fee's will still be charged.

Overtime fee's are not charged to make extra money but because I have family commitments that are scheduled around each child's departures and that requires my Day home to be closed on time.

Lets just say none of my families are ever late.

July 21st, 2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks so much for sharing your policy. I'm glad it works for you. I'm not sure the parents of my kid would be deterred by the cost, but I think that $40/hour is fair overtime for them to pay me for their continued and frequent lateness. I'm going to see what they say, wish me luck!
August 3rd, 2010, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_bear View Post
Thanks so much for sharing your policy. I'm glad it works for you. I'm not sure the parents of my kid would be deterred by the cost, but I think that $40/hour is fair overtime for them to pay me for their continued and frequent lateness. I'm going to see what they say, wish me luck!

So how did it go...

August 8th, 2010, 08:53 AM
They didn't refuse, but they haven't said much to me period since I laid things out for them. It made them mad, I think, but I didn't really give them an option. I just said that I would give them one freebie a month in case of emergency/weather issues since they both do have long commutes and jobs that can be a little unpredictable. After that one day if there are additional late days they will be paying me $10 for every portion of/15 minutes they are late. They haven't been late to pick up since, though.
Thanks for the help again!
August 10th, 2010, 08:43 AM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
I'm glad that you talked with them! There is no need for you to be taken advantage of like that. I am a nanny and get paid hourly. So, if they are late, they just end up paying me more. When I was a nanny a few years ago, I got paid a set weekly amount. I told them what my babysitting rate was, so if they went over on hours, they would pay me that rate, too.
Our beautiful miracle baby..

Do you want to learn how to stretch your dollars further?
Come join us on the Frugal Mommies Board!
Latest Trip: Spent $90, Saved $400!
Latest donation trip: Spent $0, Saved $675!!!
Check out what I'm selling! Lots of baby/toddler things!

August 10th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_bear View Post
They didn't refuse, but they haven't said much to me period since I laid things out for them. It made them mad, I think, but I didn't really give them an option. I just said that I would give them one freebie a month in case of emergency/weather issues since they both do have long commutes and jobs that can be a little unpredictable. After that one day if there are additional late days they will be paying me $10 for every portion of/15 minutes they are late. They haven't been late to pick up since, though.
Thanks for the help again!
lol of course they are not late anymore because now it is costing them money!
Good for you standing your ground. one freebie a month is nice, but I would say one freebie a month 15-30 mins then after that time late fees are charged

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search