so, what do you all do ? :)

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
for work at home, I mean lol

and

who uses the rat rebellion site? what have you found is really good there?

I have 5 young children and would love to stay home w/them. is it possible to find a work at home job that would take over my current income?

also, I've tried cosmetic sales ( I still do that very part time) it's just too hard to do parties type jobs cause my DH works noon - 9pm and it's tough to get a sitter for 5!! and expensive at that lol

I'd love to learn more about rat rebellion. who does work there? what has been good for you?

thanks for sharing ladies!!

Mommy to Briana - 10, Laura - 9, Kainan - 8, Sara - 6 1/2 , Andrew - 4 1/2 and Nathan - 2

I Love Yoli ! Ask Me Why!!!

July 18th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie_aka_Mommy View Post
for work at home, I mean lol

and

who uses the rat rebellion site? what have you found is really good there?

I have 5 young children and would love to stay home w/them. is it possible to find a work at home job that would take over my current income?

also, I've tried cosmetic sales ( I still do that very part time) it's just too hard to do parties type jobs cause my DH works noon - 9pm and it's tough to get a sitter for 5!! and expensive at that lol

I'd love to learn more about rat rebellion. who does work there? what has been good for you?

thanks for sharing ladies!!
I work as a home transcriptionist full time and then own my own pet sitting business that I work part time. Yes I have used the site but to ask what you like there is subjective because it has to do with what you can do what your skills are, etc. That'd be like looking at classified ads and saying "what do you like" well my answer would be diferent than yours. Look at the site and start applying for jobs/opportunities that would relate to you, your skills, and what you can do from home with the set up that you have. And nobody works at Rat Race, it was started by a husband and wife team originally to help out military spouses to find WAH opportunities since they move around so frequently. All they do is find LEGIT jobs/companies and post them on their site (free) so that folks can have a place to go and apply for positions without getting scammed. Have you looked at the site?

On if you can get a job that replaces your current income...well what do you currently make? It's not typical to find a WAH job that replaces a full time office job income but it isn't impossible. Mine basically replaced my office income minus around $200 a month but I easily spent that in gas so it was a fair trade. But I easily work more hours than I did in an office so it's a give and take I suppose. I know Alpine Access pays around $9 an hour so if that's what you currently make then you could probably make it work. If you're pulling $15-$20 an hour then probably not. So that goes back to the question of I can't answer that unless I know what you make hourly/salary at your current position.

Also be aware that 99% of WAH jobs are sub contractor based, meaning that you get a 1099 and not a W-2 for tax purposes. Not a huge deal in itself but that also means that you do not get health insurance, dental, vision, 401K options (or any other retirement options), etc. The ONLY thing you will get from a sub contractor position is strictly a paycheck (which does not have taxes taken out so you'll need to take out a couple hundred from each check and put it in an account so that you can use that at tax time if needed if not then you have some extra cash), so if you are one that needs medical, dental, and retirement options from the company you work for you probably won't find that in a WAH position.

Check out the rat race rebellion site (honestly doesn't sound like you have at this point) and see what links they have to other companies that interest you and what those companies have to offer by way of pay and WAH requirements. There's also always business type opportunities too such as Avon, Mary Kay, etc.

Good luck!
July 22nd, 2010, 02:22 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there and welcome!

What are you doing at the moment and how much do you need to make? What kind of skills would you like to make use of from a work at home position?

I do - and have done - various things, including web design, freelance writing, tattoo designing, ebay sales, graphic design and various other things that I have tried over the years. Most of them I stumbled into accidentally. Recently I've given up most of my dayjob to concentrate on my freelance work. I am self-employed and don't work for a company. It has pros and cons but for the most part I love it.

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

July 25th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies! thank you for the welcome Misty
Meghan, thank you for the info on rat race. I have only had a few minutes to browse the site to be honest. That's the main reason I decided to post here to see what was worth looking at...as well as maybe getting some pointers on how to navigate the site (It was a bit confusing at first...but I was also short on time).
I appreciate you giving me some of the facts about rat race.

I currently work at a job that pays somewhere betwn $11-12/hr. I work full time plus often overtime...I work anywhere from 2-8 hrs a wk in OT.

If nothing else, I'd at least like to stop the OT and find something that will replace that. it sounds like i could easily do that

thanks ladies

Mommy to Briana - 10, Laura - 9, Kainan - 8, Sara - 6 1/2 , Andrew - 4 1/2 and Nathan - 2

I Love Yoli ! Ask Me Why!!!

July 26th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope you are able to find something to suit you Pleas let us know what you end up looking into! Good luck

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search