Anyone do medical billing and coding?

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Shyann's_Mommy09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im looking at going into this and I need some help trying to figure out where I should get my training from.

Right now Im looking at Penn Foster because they are most affordable. Im not eligible for loans or any type of help so I have to pay out of pocket and its only about $44 a month for 16 months. The only issue Im finding is that by searching google Im seeing that people are having a hard time finding jobs due to places not recognizing their certificates.

Ultimately I want to work from home so I dont know how much that matters to me but I know I cant just start out working from home, I have to get a job somewhere and I dont want to waste my time and money on a school that wont do me any good.

I was looking at a community college here but its not going to fit my life right now to try to cram classes in for the next year plus its a lot more money because Im out of district for that school. Other than a law school there are no colleges that are in my district so I have to go through some type of career training institute or online school. I just dont want to get ripped off.

July 27th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Make sure whatever school you use is accredited. As long as they are accredited you won't have an issue with your certificate being accepted.

Yes I did medical billing for awhile...well I trained for it anyway but never could get my foot in the door anywhere unfortunately. The doctor's offices all wanted at least 1-2 years of experience and working from home wanted a minimum of 2 years experience and 6 months experience in an office or hospital setting so it was next to impossible to get in anywhere.

My advice would be to start looking for grants (ie free money for school) see how many you qualify for and go that route to help you with tuition. Make sure whatever school you go to is accredited and if they offer help in finding a job afterwards that would be even better.

Good luck!
July 27th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Shyann's_Mommy09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im reading more and more that its a hard field to actually get a job in after the fact due to the fact that offices are depending more and more on computers to do those jobs instead of people.

Penn Foster is accredited and they do offer services to help you find a job after you graduate........but now that Im looking more into it Im feeling like maybe instead I will just go for my associates with them and get my MA license. Then at least I will have something that I can probably get a job doing easier. I cant work at home but I will always have the degree to fall back on if I decide to keep working out of the home or I decide to sit on it a while and be a mom. Right now we need the money from 2 incomes so I need to do something that is not minimum wage anymore. I hate retail lol.

July 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well what I did was on the computer and done electronically but you had to know the codes and how to use the program. You filled out the form on the computer software and then sent it (like an e-mail) to the destination site and when you got paid you logged it into the computer and it kept track of what claims were paid and which weren't. So yes they rely on computers but the human being still has to input the code and information into the computer and learn how to use the software and that's what the class *should* teach you. So I'm a little confused by that comment I guess.

I think the MA would be a GREAT idea. I know in my area in doctor's offices they usually make between $13 and $15 an hour with full 40 hour work weeks.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
July 28th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never done medical billing and coding so I can't offer advice on that (I am not sure it's something that's available as a WAH job in the UK even) but I think doing the MA is a great idea! I think looking at the long term it would be so good for you to have so that you can fall back in it whatever else may come and go in the meanwhile.

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search