Can I ask a question?

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Claysgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi, I'm Katie, I have a 16 month old son Matthew. Matthew has being going to a local in home Day Care since February, and lately I'm becoming very frustrated with our Day Care Provider, will you ladies honestly tell me if I am over re-acting, or if I have a right to be upset about this?

1)3 times in the last month when my hubby has gone to pick him up, she was not there. Instead her Aunt or Grandmother was there watching the children. This was never discussed with us ahead of time, and we had never met the Aunt or Grandmother before ( I still haven't, only hubby has)

2)Starting about 2 months ago she started answering her door in her pajamas, with that I just rolled out of bed look on her face. And yesterday for the second time in about a month and a half I sat out side of her house, ringing her bell for over half an hour because she was still sleeping and didn't hear the bell, causing me to be late to work.

3) When speaking about the upcoming winter months, I noted to her that my son is not to be put into a car seat with a heavy winter coat on for safety reasons, I told her I would provide blankets, hats, and a nice Polar Fleece Jacket instead, that she can keep at her home, and her response was "thats too much work, I'll just put him in one of my son's winter coats, it doesn't matter how big and bulky they are, it doesn't affect the safety of the car seat" Okay, maybe she isn't as fanatical about car seat safety as I am, and maybe she doesn't believe what I believe, but as a parent, if I'm asking for him to be put in a fleece instead, and providing it, shouldn't she do it?

4) She has had a high number of sick days lately, which is fine. Yeah, it sucks, but people get sick...I get it. But 2 weeks ago she text me at 7:00 PM saying she had Pneumonia, which I thought was strange because she had seemed fine that morning but whatever. I took the day off work to stay home with my son, she text me that night said she was feeling better and could watch my son the next day. I got there that next day and her entire main level was painted and she was covered in paint, it was in her hair, on her arms etc. She obviously wasn't sick, and just wanted a day off to paint. It bothers me that she lied about being sick instead of just taking a personal day.

5) Lastly, the last 2 weeks her kitchen has been disgusting. Dishes piled every where, sticky stuff all over the floors, items that should have been in the fridge out on the counter top, and open bottles of booze on the counter tops. I get she is busy, but it was really bad.

I am looking for a new Day Care, but just wanted an insiders opinion, am I over re-acting?

Thanks for reading my novel lol
September 9th, 2010, 11:57 PM
ashleighgurl's Avatar Loving Wife and Mommy
This is my personal opinion as a mother who has put my child in daycare and as being a nanny, and I would look for another provider. If I asked my daycare provider to follow my instructions, such as the coat thing for her safety, I would expect them to follow it. Anyone of those things would upset me and make me switch daycares. I would never want my child left with someone I didn't know. I understand if there was an emergency, but then you should be notified. The woman I am a nanny for has known me and my husband for years - We are family friends. I would never leave her child with anyone else, not even my husband. She is paying me to watch her child, not anyone else.

Like I said, this is just my personal opinion ...
Our beautiful miracle baby..

Do you want to learn how to stretch your dollars further?
Come join us on the Frugal Mommies Board!
Latest Trip: Spent $90, Saved $400!
Latest donation trip: Spent $0, Saved $675!!!
Check out what I'm selling! Lots of baby/toddler things!

September 12th, 2010, 08:42 AM
luvmygirls333's Avatar Super Mommy
Holy cow! That sounds awful! I wouldn't let that lady watch my DOG. Find a new provider asap! You need someone who takes the job seriously.
September 14th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Thanks Ladies. We are in the process of looking for a new Day Care Provider...which hasn't been an easy task. Hopefully we will find someone new soon.

Thanks for the reassurance!
September 23rd, 2010, 06:34 AM
Super Mommy
I agree with everyone else. You are not overreacting in any way. I would take my child out of there right away.

And I'm sooo happy to read that you don't do winter coats in car seats!! Come visit the Car Seat Safety board if you haven't already!

Thank you JMC1988 for my siggy!

September 24th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacie23 View Post
I agree with everyone else. You are not overreacting in any way. I would take my child out of there right away.

And I'm sooo happy to read that you don't do winter coats in car seats!! Come visit the Car Seat Safety board if you haven't already!
Today was his last day there, we start with a new day care on Monday......our new Day Care provider is amazing....I feel so much better!

And I lurk in the Car Seat forum all the time, thats where I learned the no coats in the car seat rule! I tend to only lurk, I don't usually have much to contribute lol!
October 5th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Albertachick's Avatar Regular
So glad you were able to find another Provider!

As a Provider myself all your concerns are valid and I would have been just as upset as you were.

The day your husband found your child with someone other than the Provider and it was NOT previously discussed with you and your husband, I would have called Sociall Services right than and there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search