How do you get a website started with a shopping cart?

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2010, 07:12 PM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
I'm just on etsy right now but thinking I'd like to create a regular website. Do you ladies know of any free or low-cost "websites in a box" type programs?
September 22nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
I have not used it but I think Site Build It provides a website in a box type of service. I do not know how much it costs.

Personally, I use wordpress.org as my platform and hostgator as my hosting provider. There are free plug-ins to add on a shopping cart.

My basic hard costs are:
Domain cost - $11 (for a com)
Hostgator - $8/monthly (unlimited domains)

If you can open an etsy store, you should be able to create a regular website via wordpress.
November 3rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
405mom, you shouldn't have to pay a monthly fee for your domain. It's a yearly fee on godaddy, namecheap and many other websites.

You may pay a monthly fee if webs.com is hosting your domain for you. I use HostGator and use their Baby plan as it allows for an unlimited number of domains to be hosted.
November 15th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Venezia
One I wouldn't recommend is Mr Site; customer service is rubbish, it's really tricksy, and they don't even have an SMTP server, so you have to route your outgoing mail through your ISP's server... or rather this is what has happened in my case - I'm in the UK, might be different for their international setups.

It's really easy to add a PayPal cart to your site though - just a few lines of code (which PP generates for you) and you're set.

Another option, if you don't want to ditch Etsy just yet, might be to link through to your Etsy store, so that your customers can use the shopping cart there.

Good luck - I hope you get it sorted out.
November 29th, 2010, 09:44 AM
acchickpea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm trying to create my website as well. What I did was create a domain from Godaddy and I paid about $12 for the year. There are free website builders out there but inorder to use your domain you would have to upgrade to a higher level package to allow you to do so. The web builders that I've sampled are: Free Website Builder | Create a Flash Website at Wix.com, Weebly - Create a free website and a free blog, Intuit® Small Business | Free Website Builder, Accounting Software & More... there are tons. I'm playing around with weebly right now because it seems as though I can use my existing domain without having to upgrade.
These sites offer templates that you can use and there are a few that has shopping carts.
Good Luck!

Last edited by acchickpea; November 29th, 2010 at 09:47 AM.
December 30th, 2010, 02:03 PM
ccartanddesign's Avatar With Faith
I'm a web designer and would be happy to design a shopping cart site for you.
January 4th, 2011, 10:25 AM
lovemyluke&joel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use vistaprint for my web-site and love it! I can do anything I want for less than $20 a month!

Jen & Eric
Luke (2/23/06) & Joel (3/23/09)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search