What would you have done?

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2010, 12:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I made a parent mad this morning, but I still think I did the right thing. My sick policy states that a child can't come back until they've been vomit free for at least 24 hours. I watch two brothers on Thursdays and Fridays. This morning, they showed up at the door and the older one proceeded to vomit right there on my door step. I told the mom that she needed to take him home, and she told me she didn't agree with me, that he had just eaten some peppers that morning and they weren't digesting well. I've had parents tell me something like that in the past and I accepted the child, then they ended up being sick and infecting the rest of the kids. The mom told me that she was going to call another daycare and take the boys there today because she really doesn't think he is sick. I'm not sure if she was just taking them today or if she meant permanently. The mom kept asking the child what was wrong saying that he never vomits. My question is, if he never vomits, how does she know this is just because of the food if he doesn't have a history of getting sick from foods like that? Would you have accepted them?

October 22nd, 2010, 12:32 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
No way, and it was wrong of the parent to make you feel guilty and not be respectful of your policy or the other kids.

October 25th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Albertachick's Avatar Regular
That's Crappy! She knew they were sick... really who throws up from eating peppers, and WHO gives peppers to a kid first thing in the morning.

I don't care WHY they are throwing up or have a fever they can not come back for 24hrs vomit/fever free.

Teething is a favorite Parents like to use: Oh so and so is teething, next thing you know everyone else is "teething" including myself.

Let her take them to another daycare, they can throw up there all day.
When they try to call mom and she ignores them, I wonder how long that child care arrangment will last.

You absolutely did the right thing!

October 26th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Veteran
No, you did absolutely the right thing. I wish this rule was in place for adults at work too as often people come back to work too early and make everyone else sick.
November 7th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Seanaci's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Seanaci Send a message via MSN to Seanaci
Ditto the other ladies.

My mom did in home day care for 25+ years. She'd take sick kids in the beginning...she felt guilty if she didn't and made the parent mad. Then she finally put her foot and let parents know that the kids had to be fever free and vomit free 24 hours before they could return to daycare. Sure, it made parents mad, but it kept illnesses at bay.

You totally did the right thing.
November 22nd, 2010, 10:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ditto the other ladies. Shame on her for making you feel guilty and good riddance if she takes them to a new daycare. It may be inconvenient for the parent to have to take time off for a sick kid, but that's part of your job as a parent. It's selfish of her to risk infecting your kids and any other kids that might be in your care just so that she doesn't have to miss work.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search