Late Payments (all the time)

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Seanaci's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Seanaci Send a message via MSN to Seanaci
I babysit for my neighbor. Her son is 1 year old...he's a doll and I love him like my own kid. She is a young mom (just turned 23) and newly single from babies dad. Shortly after she and the dad split up, there were a couple weeks that she forgot to pay me on the last day I keep the kid (I keep him Monday through Thrusday) and paid me the following Monday when she came to pick him up.

I sincerly try to give her the benefit of the doubt in saying she forgot about paying me the first few times. But, after that, she'd walk out with the baby on Thursday's having not paid me or made mention of paying me. And upon picking him up on Monday, handed me the money for the previous week.

She does not provide food/drink for her son while he is here...which is no big deal to me since I have a 3 year old of my own to buy for. She does provide diapers and wipes. I should also add that I started keeping him 10 hours a day shortly after she and the dad split up, so my rate went from $20 a day to $25 a day.

I'm feeling frustrated now with her seemingly non-cholance (sp?) attitude about paying me on time. She often brags to me about things she bought over the weekend as well. Which one can only assume is that where my paycheck went? KWIM?

Anywho. Last week, I decided I'd had enough. As I am basically working 5 days before getting paid for the previous 4 days worked (if that makes sense). I'm tired of not having money to spend over the weekend OR worse, being terrified of overdraft fees come Monday because I was COUNTING on her to pay me and spent money I shouldn't have. So, I asked her on Thursday to pay me either Thursday or Friday (I believe she gets paid on Friday's from her job, hence why I told her paying me Friday would be fine). She got pissy with me, paid me and said pretty much nothing to me when she picked up the baby.

Do I keep asking her for prompt payment, or say forget it (so as not to create tension since we are neighbors, long story short, when she and the dad split, she moved in with her mom and step dad who are our across the street neighbors; but we've known her since she was a freshman in high school) and just put away money out of DH's checks every couple weeks to cover weekend spending?

Thanks in advance for replies/advice.
November 14th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Albertachick's Avatar Regular
You deserve to get paid. I certainly wouldn't let it go and wait around for her to pay me.

You agreed on a payday and she needs to stick to it, if not than she can find care elsewhere. Why should you and your family go without.

My fees are due on the first of the month, families nnot paying on the first get a late fee charge of $20/day/child and their child can not return to care until all fees are paid. I also do not accept cheques, all fees must be cash or paid by email bank transfer.

November 22nd, 2010, 10:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree. You are providing a service and deserve to be paid on the agreed day. The problem won't go away if you don't speak up. If anything, it will get worse. If there is any tension because you decide to bring it up, it's her fault for putting you in that situation.

My fees are also due on the first of the month and a late fee is charged for every day the payment is late. If the payment is late more than twice, the parents receive their two-weeks notice.
February 24th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I feel your frustration! I am a licensed provider and have dealt with several of these types of parents the last few years. They simply take advantage of me being nice. I finally had to tell them that I feel I am being taken for granted. I also asked them how they would feel if their boss didn't pay them on payday. I love the kids I watch, but it sometimes feels like the parents think we do this for fun. IT IS A JOB FOLKS! And we do deserve to get paid for the job we do.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search