5 Network Marketing Myths De-Bunked!

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NetworkingMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2011, 07:36 PM
A few years ago I would never have imagined myself working from home with a network marketing company. Although I was searching for a legitimate work from home opportunity, I wasn’t very familiar with network marketing and had a lot of misconceptions about what it actually entailed.

I’ve been working from home for a while now and I often come across people that had the same misconceptions as I did when I first began looking at network marketing. It’s unfortunate that these misconceptions may prevent people from really exploring network marketing as a viable work from home option.

In this post I’ve listed five network marketing myths that I often encounter. If you are looking for a viable work from home option, I hope this post will provide you some food for thought as you research different opportunities.

Myth #1: “Network marketing is only for salespeople”
I have to chuckle at this one because I was never good at sales. Nor did I have any desire to be good at sales. And I still don’t consider myself good at sales! The way I look at network marketing is this: you find something you are passionate about, and then you help people learn about it. I’ve never approached network marketing as “sales-y” in any way. I simply found a business I loved, and I wanted to tell other people about it. I wanted to HELP people achieve their goals – be that staying at home with their children, earning extra money for bills each month or saving for an important life event. My motivation has always been to help others be successful and that has served me well. People who approach network marketing as a transaction for their own gain will not last long in the business. I’ve always made it about helping people learn and be successful, and if you enjoy doing that you will probably enjoy network marketing!

Myth #2: “It’s too expensive to start”
Pretty much every business, network marketing or other, will require some type of financial investment to start. However, any legitimate network marketing company should have a low startup cost (less than $150 in my opinion). I had a shoestring budget when I was researching work from home opportunities, so I loved the fact that I could start a business with a minimal investment AND have the opportunity to recoup that investment quickly. I had previously started a different company (not in the same field) and spent a few thousand dollars to get up and running. I did a lot of research when looking for a work at home solution, and compared to other home-based businesses network marketing stood out as the most affordable by far.

Myth #3: “To be successful I’d need to harass my friends and family”
When I started in network marketing I certainly didn’t want to alienate my friends and family by hitting them up with my business opportunity. With any type of business it’s natural to turn to your warm market of friends and family to spread the word about your new venture. However, it’s HOW you talk to your circle of influence that matters. If you have a good mentor or sponsor in your business, they should be able to guide you on how to successfully talk to people about your business without harassment or alienation. Additionally, today’s technology allows you to connect with so many new people online. If used correctly, online marketing is a wonderful source of leads for your business. Overall, it’s all in how you approach people – it’s not about high-pressure sales tactics; rather, it’s about getting to know people and offering value and solutions. For more on this topic see my post “Tips For Successful Prospecting”.

Myth #4: “Network marketing is the same as a pyramid scheme”
I’m embarrassed to say that I actually used to think this was true! (This was BEFORE my research Simply put, network marketing is NOT a pyramid scheme. Pyramid schemes are fraud and illegal. A pyramid scheme involves the exchange of money primarily for enrolling other people into the scheme, WITHOUT any product or service being delivered. The business focus in network marketing, on the other hand, is the sale of REAL products or services to an end-user. Network marketing is like any other business where profits are generated by the sale of a product and/or service. As with any opportunity, you should always do your research to make sure the company is sound and has a good track record, and there are plenty of great network marketing companies out there that offer an honest, legitimate way to earn income from home.

Myth #5: “First-in wins, last-in loses”
Some people think that just because they joined an established network marketing company that they can somehow never be successful because they’ll always just be “working for their sponsor”. In a legitimate network marketing company this is definitely not the case. Anyone can join at any time and have the same chance of success and earning potential as the first person that joined. You can always be more successful than your sponsor – it’s just a matter of how much work you want to put into it!

I hope you’ve found some valuable information in this post, and as always please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!

Kara Rosner
Web: KaraRosnerOnline
ungratefulbiped likes this.
January 19th, 2011, 08:31 AM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks for the information

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

January 19th, 2011, 06:55 PM
You are very welcome! Glad you found value in the post
May 10th, 2012, 06:38 AM
There are no criteria for M.L.M; even uneducated people can do M.L.M as well. It is one of the inexpensive ways to earn money. And Pyramid Scheme requires large amount of money to become a distributor and it not legal in Canada but there is nothing with M.L.M.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search