Charging when the child isn't there???

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2011, 06:52 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you all charge rather the child comes or not??

I currently only babysit one child full time. I charge her regardless of rather her child comes or not but they aren't really happy about it. I've had to pay a sitter before and I got charged regardless of rather my son was there or not. I thought this was standard.

Do you charge a flat rate??

=May '05 and '11

February 8th, 2011, 08:06 AM
luvmygirls333's Avatar Super Mommy
I think for licensed daycare providers, this is the norm. Whether it be an in-home daycare or a regular daycare, parents are usually expected to pay a flat rate.

However, if you are not licensed I think you need to be a little more flexible. I babysit one little boy right now, 3 days a week. If his parents tell me in advance that they will not need me, they don't pay for that day. If they call me in the morning and tell me he's not coming that day, they still pay me.

I am going to start watching a little girl soon too, and I am being flexible with her parents as well. They are leaving their current provider b/c she makes them pay a flat rate, and they often get days off, or have days when the grandparents are available to watch the baby. So I am charging them only for the days she is here.
February 8th, 2011, 09:02 AM
brynnkelley04's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the above poster. We charge regardless of the child being present. We also allow parents to have 5 free days per year.

I definitely think with babysitting and not being licensed that there should be more flexibility. Maybe you could try offering a few days free per year to help make them happy.

Good luck!

Brynn 30,
Rich 41, Marcus 11, Gavin 8
~~IVF #4 using Donor Eggs=BFP
~~April 18th 1st U/S=TWINS! Baby A 128bpm Baby B 124bpm

February 8th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Ya...I forgot to add that I only charge her when she doesn't give me advanced notice. I've only babysat her son for 3 weeks and every week one of them has been sick or something has came up. She gave me a list of her days that she has off this year and I'm not charging her for those days. I also don't charge her if she can't bring him because I'm sick or take the day off.

=May '05 and '11

February 11th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Albertachick's Avatar Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmygirls333 View Post
I think for licensed daycare providers, this is the norm. Whether it be an in-home daycare or a regular daycare, parents are usually expected to pay a flat rate.

However, if you are not licensed I think you need to be a little more flexible.
Why should a unlicensed dayhome provider be more flexible? I have the same bills etc to pay as a licensed provider and do just a good of a job and follow all the same requirements as a licensed dayhome/daycarein my province. I choose not to be licensed, because I don't want to give up $600 of my income to a dayhome agency

I am a Private unlicensed dayhome and parents pay weather or not their child attends, doesn't matter how much notice a dcparent givse me.
Weather Parents pay or not should be up to the Provider and how she runs her business NOT because she is licensed.

February 18th, 2011, 08:03 AM
luvmygirls333's Avatar Super Mommy
All I am saying is that USUALLY unlisenced providers are more flexible (and cheaper). That is why parents often choose them over lisenced places.

I really think that you just need to have a talk with the parent and set up rules so you both know what to expect. Agree on terms that you both are happy with.
February 18th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am also unlicensed (I'm not required to be as long as I stay within the limits set by my state). I DO charge whether the children are here or not - regardless of whether notice is given or not. I do give them 2 weeks off during the year though, and if I need a day off, they do NOT have to pay me. I discuss all this up front with my families and if they have an issue with it, they are certainly free to continue looking for a situation that better fits their needs. Its never been a problem for me, though. Here is what I tell them: I am here for you every day, no matter what. I've been doing this for 3 and a half years and have called in sick twice. I take a vacation every summer planned months in advance, otherwise, I am HERE. I try to provide quality, DEPENDABLE care for their children, and I need to be able to depend on them as well. I need steady income just like anyone else does. After all, their employers do not call them up and say, "sorry we don't need you today and you're not getting paid." If I was able to be more flexible (ie do without my income unexpectedly) then I would probably be less dependable too, because I could afford to just call off whenever I felt like it, kwim?

Anyway, those are my thoughts! Also, all of my kids are currently part time, so often we are able to just change to a different day if one of the kids is sick or whatever. That flexibility also helps to make them happy.

Thank you to Lillibugsmommy for my beautiful siggy!

February 21st, 2011, 08:47 PM
Thank you, ladies!! I had them sign a contract stating that they would be paying me for days that they didn't bring their child because of THEM but if I had to call in sick, then they didn't pay. I also was flexible with them and told them that they didn't have to pay me as long as they gave me notice....like vacation time but I would charge them if they called me last minute. I do it for my own protection so that they don't have someone else watch their child for free and leave me hanging.

They acted like it was unfair that I was charging them on the days that they called me last minute and told me that they weren't bringing their son.

=May '05 and '11

February 24th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I am a licensed provider also. I charge if the child is not here because I have had too many parents take advantage of it if I don't. I need a consistent paycheck just like they do. It is clearly stated in my contract (bold and highlighted) and I make them initial next to it so there is no confusion.

I will however, not charge if they are gone for the entire week (I.E. vacation) if I have ample notice.
March 23rd, 2011, 11:51 AM
I agree that it is pretty standard for licensed providers to charge a flat rate. I give my families four "free days," however after that they are charged for days out.
March 25th, 2011, 07:19 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cari24 View Post
After all, their employers do not call them up and say, "sorry we don't need you today and you're not getting paid."
Most of my employers did that crap to me all the time.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
July 1st, 2011, 06:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to mylie12
i'm a unlicensed day care provider and i totally don't agree charging if the child is not there if you miss a day of work do you still get paid ? no so why should we if the child is not in my home technically i'm not working that day and kids get sick and i would rather they stay home then bring them here for the other kids to catch it now i'm not saying that if the child arrives with a cold i won't take them just saying if the parents choose to stay home with them then i'm ok with that and i won't charge them

July 5th, 2011, 08:03 AM
*Candi*'s Avatar Candi
Quote:
Originally Posted by seb's_mommy View Post
i'm a unlicensed day care provider and i totally don't agree charging if the child is not there if you miss a day of work do you still get paid ? no so why should we if the child is not in my home technically i'm not working that day and kids get sick and i would rather they stay home then bring them here for the other kids to catch it now i'm not saying that if the child arrives with a cold i won't take them just saying if the parents choose to stay home with them then i'm ok with that and i won't charge them
I have to agree with you, if my son is sick and I stay home, I dont get paid. If my dcp takes the day off and I have to stay home with my son, I again, dont get paid, so I dont think its fair that I have to pay for daycare on a day when I am not getting paid. For example, two weeks ago my son had tonsillitis and missed 4 days of daycare, and thus I missed 4 days of work. All of which I was not paid for. Luckily my DCP is amazing and was more than willing to work with me and let me pay 1/2 rate for the 4 days because she understood that I wasnt making any money either, and her policy is to work with her clients rather than against them.

That being said, I DO think its completely acceptable for some sort of standard/arrangement to be made to protect the DCP. I know that my DCP's only income is from her daycare so if I were to start calling in all the time then that would pose big problems for her. We currently get two weeks of FREE vacation time (one of which is the week my DCP takes off during the summer, the other is used as we would like) and we have 5 floating days. After that any vacation time is 1/2 the normal rate, which I think is fair.

Thank you GraysMama for an awesome siggy!

July 22nd, 2011, 11:20 AM
Natsmom0801's Avatar ~TTC #2 for our #1~
Jumping in on this one! I am new to the board...

I am a In-Home Child Care Provider. I have strong feelings about getting paid if a child is not there. My agreement is that each child gets 1 week of non-paid vacation a year. Any days off due to the child being sick are paid. Even when I have divorced parents who split the cost, it still remains only one week per child! I give myself 5 sick days 1 week of vacation paid a year as well. If I need extra days off I take them unpaid.

A child care provider is the same as any other person. MOST employers give you vacation and sick time, so why shouldn’t we get paid? Just because one child is not there doesn’t mean that I am closed for the other children, so I am still technically working. Most daycares and some in home providers do not give any non-paid vacation so I feel that I am being generous by doing so.

So far, none of my daycare parents have had an issue with this arrangement!

Holli... Wife to Allen 11/25/06 and Mommy to Natalee 08-01-08
July 26th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Candi* View Post
I have to agree with you, if my son is sick and I stay home, I dont get paid. If my dcp takes the day off and I have to stay home with my son, I again, dont get paid, so I dont think its fair that I have to pay for daycare on a day when I am not getting paid. For example, two weeks ago my son had tonsillitis and missed 4 days of daycare, and thus I missed 4 days of work. All of which I was not paid for. Luckily my DCP is amazing and was more than willing to work with me and let me pay 1/2 rate for the 4 days because she understood that I wasnt making any money either, and her policy is to work with her clients rather than against them.

That being said, I DO think its completely acceptable for some sort of standard/arrangement to be made to protect the DCP. I know that my DCP's only income is from her daycare so if I were to start calling in all the time then that would pose big problems for her. We currently get two weeks of FREE vacation time (one of which is the week my DCP takes off during the summer, the other is used as we would like) and we have 5 floating days. After that any vacation time is 1/2 the normal rate, which I think is fair.

I've been doing daycare for 16 years f/t, and I offer a service which is not dependent on my clients pay schedule. The parents pay weekly to keep their child's space throughout the year, and if you choose to have grandma watch them, or if they are sick, or you are trying to save money and have a friend watch them I still get paid. You are paying for that space, service and if you've agreed to that shouldn't complain later on...Also It's a benefit to your children to have a stable environment because when parents have to pay weekly, the same group of children are there and your child can depend on seeing their friends instead of being in a revolving door environment; thus a benefit for all.

However, I make it clear up front, and they get a fyi sheet stating this and agree to those terms. Now if your sitter and you agreed up front to pay for your space then by all means you should do so. Not only that.. for heavens sake that is your sitter! Also, its your responsibility to make sure you have a backup when your sitter is ill, there are many public daycares you can drop your child off if you leave a deposit....so that is your choice to stay home. And all the sitters I know if they are ill don't get paid though many decent parents still do so.

In closing, your sitter is not the one you want to nickel and dime because they may smile to your face, but they will not think highly of your, AND most important they are watching YOUR child.
December 21st, 2011, 07:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am licensed and I don't! But almost every child care provider I know has switched from hourly rates to a monthly rate and will charge if the child does not come. I have been very fortunate and have gotten awesome daycare parents so I still charge hourly and haven't had a problem. They give me reasonable notice if they have a vacation and usually only miss if their child is ill. But I really have been considering changing to a straight rate so I can plan on how much I get each month...

Thanks Chelsea (Graysmama) for my awesome siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search