Please help, advice needed!

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 14th, 2011, 02:23 PM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies, I need your advice! What started out as me just helping another military family out is quickly turning into a nightmare!

A little background: I had come to Ca just planning on being a SAHM while Dh was attending his schooling for the Army. Another soldier came up to him one day asking if I would be interested in watching her son for 500.00/mo since her nanny just quit. I said yes, for a couple reasons- 1) I love kids and am going to school to be a teacher and a baby around really isn't going to make things any harder. 2) she is a young, single mother, going through a divorce and I feel for her. I didn't think ahead to things like taxes and stuff (I know stupid and naive) and said okay. I am fine with that.

Well it turns out that between PT, formations, and school I have this baby 12 hours AT LEAST a day. That is right, he comes any time between 5:30 and 6:15 Mon, Tues, Thur, and Fri (I do not know why she sometimes brings him so early and why so late on these days and she hasn't really been able to give me a great answer), and on Wednesday's she drops him off at 4:45 a.m. because she has morning PT. Again, not really a problem because Dh does morning PT every day so I am already up. Then she doesn't come get him until at least 6:00 every evening and sometimes 6:30.

That 500.00/mo ends up being like 1.67/hour. But that's not all like I mentioned above I hadn't thought about taxes at first, it honestly didn't cross my mind until she told me this morning that she put in her divorce papers that her xDh has to pay me and that he had told her that he wants to write me a check directly. That is fine with me, but I was talking to my mom about it today and she said it is probably because he wants record of it for his taxes. That's when it all kind of clicked for me, I am not just babysitter to this kid. I am essentially an at home day care and I will need to pay taxes. So I figured I would need to take out about 20%/mo to save to pay in (please correct me if I am wrong)...well that equals to me only actually having 400.00/mo for keeping the kid 12+ hours a day/5 days a week.

I don't know what I am really trying to ask here except what would y'all do in this situation. I don't want to have to stop watching him, he is a sweet kid and such a good baby. Would you consider raising the rate? The average cost of daycare in our area (from what I have heard) is between 750.00-1,000.00/mo for an infant (depending on the provider, etc.) and no daycare I know of would be willing to watch him those hours.

Oh and to top it all off she has asked if I would be interested in watching her friends baby now too, for the same price and hours, etc. Her nanny just had to pcs all of a sudden.

I am sorry I am rambling and if I left out anything that you feel I need to elaborate on just let me know and I will do my best. Just please, any advice is very appreciated.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

June 27th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think that you should figure out what rate would make caring for the baby worth your while. Especially if the average rate in your area is 750-1000 (that's what it is here too). They're getting a GREAT deal by only having to pay you 500. It's not easy caring for someone else's child, especially when the hours are so unpredictable. When you know what you want to charge, put it in writing for them. Chances are, if they're happy with you, they'll accept the rate if it's competitive with the other caregivers in your area.

Regarding the hours, I would go crazy with the uncertainty of knowing when she was picking up and dropping off. I have the parents put in writing the hours of care they need and then charge extra for overtime. If her hours are different every day, then at least request some advance notice, like on Mondays, give you her schedule for the week.
July 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Corinthians10:4 View Post
Hi ladies, I need your advice! What started out as me just helping another military family out is quickly turning into a nightmare!

A little background: I had come to Ca just planning on being a SAHM while Dh was attending his schooling for the Army. Another soldier came up to him one day asking if I would be interested in watching her son for 500.00/mo since her nanny just quit. I said yes, for a couple reasons- 1) I love kids and am going to school to be a teacher and a baby around really isn't going to make things any harder. 2) she is a young, single mother, going through a divorce and I feel for her. I didn't think ahead to things like taxes and stuff (I know stupid and naive) and said okay. I am fine with that.

Well it turns out that between PT, formations, and school I have this baby 12 hours AT LEAST a day. That is right, he comes any time between 5:30 and 6:15 Mon, Tues, Thur, and Fri (I do not know why she sometimes brings him so early and why so late on these days and she hasn't really been able to give me a great answer), and on Wednesday's she drops him off at 4:45 a.m. because she has morning PT. Again, not really a problem because Dh does morning PT every day so I am already up. Then she doesn't come get him until at least 6:00 every evening and sometimes 6:30.

That 500.00/mo ends up being like 1.67/hour. But that's not all like I mentioned above I hadn't thought about taxes at first, it honestly didn't cross my mind until she told me this morning that she put in her divorce papers that her xDh has to pay me and that he had told her that he wants to write me a check directly. That is fine with me, but I was talking to my mom about it today and she said it is probably because he wants record of it for his taxes. That's when it all kind of clicked for me, I am not just babysitter to this kid. I am essentially an at home day care and I will need to pay taxes. So I figured I would need to take out about 20%/mo to save to pay in (please correct me if I am wrong)...well that equals to me only actually having 400.00/mo for keeping the kid 12+ hours a day/5 days a week.

I don't know what I am really trying to ask here except what would y'all do in this situation. I don't want to have to stop watching him, he is a sweet kid and such a good baby. Would you consider raising the rate? The average cost of daycare in our area (from what I have heard) is between 750.00-1,000.00/mo for an infant (depending on the provider, etc.) and no daycare I know of would be willing to watch him those hours.

Oh and to top it all off she has asked if I would be interested in watching her friends baby now too, for the same price and hours, etc. Her nanny just had to pcs all of a sudden.

I am sorry I am rambling and if I left out anything that you feel I need to elaborate on just let me know and I will do my best. Just please, any advice is very appreciated.

Wow, I was shocked when I read this post! For one you are merely babysitting for one child, not running a business; so as far as the taxes I would tell her that and you do not give out your Soc. Sec. number to ANYONE! That should nip that, furthermore; if you want to continue to watch him set some guidelines on the time frame. If she can't do those things, let her go and find another more workable situation. I do a home daycare and if I get difficult parents I simply let them go, and usually I find a much better parent and situation. She is really taking advantage of you imo.
August 3rd, 2011, 09:03 AM
terrordactyl's Avatar sidecars are for *****es
as a nanny or babysitter i try to only take cash plus that is a rip off i make $12 an hour watching a 2 yr old. you're not even getting paid what a daycare provider gets. i would just let them know the price is rising or the hours are decreasing for find some other child to watch
August 4th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry2011 View Post
Wow, I was shocked when I read this post! For one you are merely babysitting for one child, not running a business; so as far as the taxes I would tell her that and you do not give out your Soc. Sec. number to ANYONE! That should nip that, furthermore; if you want to continue to watch him set some guidelines on the time frame. If she can't do those things, let her go and find another more workable situation. I do a home daycare and if I get difficult parents I simply let them go, and usually I find a much better parent and situation. She is really taking advantage of you imo.
Why would you be shocked?

If you are earning income by watching someone's child, you DO need to report that when you file your taxes. I agree that you do not need to give out your SS# though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search