Unhappy Working Mommy. Is WAH even possible?

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Mommy of Four!
Hi everybody...I am a a single mom of four children and I currently work full time. I am very unhappy because I never get to see my children anymore. I work Mon and Tue 6:30am to 3:30pm and Wed-Fri 9:30am-6:30pm. It's not that different from any other working parent really, except for the fact that my children are left with my mom and not their other parent while I work. She is the one who takes them to the dr, she is the one that takes them and picks them up from school most days, takes them to their extra curricular activities, and even keeps them overnight two days a week because I have to be at work so early. My house is a mess because I am never home; we get home most nights at 7:30pm so by the time I feed the kids and spend a short 1.5hrs with them before bedtime. I am so exhausted I also go to bed at 9pm and rarely get my house in order. My weekends are busy because I also work every-other-weekend. I do get monthly and steady childsupport for my children from their father in the amount of $1100.00...I make around $1600.00 a month alone at my current jobs...but I want to check around and see if there are any WAH jobs that I could do instead of working full time outside my home. I honestly, seriously doubt it; My bills total about $1700.00 a month and I just don't think any WAH job will bring in the money I need to pay the bills. But I am miserable and missing my children, and hating the chaos working away from home is bringing to my life. I think I am more depressed now that I was when I got divorced..crazy as it is to say. I am currently a Director at a childcare facility but have years of clerical experience, A/R, A/P, HR experience too. I am not good at selling things so Mary Kay, Avon isn't an option. I don't know if you ladies know of anything, but if you do, I would appreciate the advice.

Thanks ladies.

Thank You Alethia for the Siggy!
April 27th, 2012, 10:17 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your children are so adorable!! What part of GA are you in? I am moving down to the Savannah area in a few months and so excited! I lived in Atlanta for 6 years and just love the south.

Being a single mommy is hard all the way around. I was a single mom for 14 years and it is a ton of work. I am glad you have your mom as a support system.

I have a friend in NY that does medical transcriptions for a few doctors offices and works from home. She went to school for it and now loves the freedom of the flexibility of the hours ect...

How much money would you have to earn each week?

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

April 27th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Mommy of Four!
I am near Loganville/Grayson Ga! I love love love Savannah and would move there in a heartbeat if I had childcare and or help there!

I have thought about medical transcription but have heard horror stories from people who went to school for it and then never found jobs. I have years of clerical experience as well as many many years of childcare experience. I feel like I need about 300-400 a week. I get steady childsupport so that's a huge blessing when it comes to finances. I have thought about trying In Home Childcare...my mother has done it for about 20 years and with my background in childcare it's something I could do. But I'm I am afraid of not getting paid by families and I need steady income with four children.

Thank You Alethia for the Siggy!
April 27th, 2012, 04:23 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh you are sort of near my brother - He lives in Lawrenceville

I understand about the steady income and with the economy these days its even more stressful.

Childcare up here is very pricey - that is the main reason I don't have Scarlett in daycare. They all charge at a minimum $10 an hour ($400 a week). Down in Savannah I have someone all lined up for $125 a week.

If I think of any ideas I will let you know. I know it is hard being away from the children long hours just to put food on the table. ((hugs))

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

April 28th, 2012, 11:27 PM
JeanZ's Avatar Member
Hi Kody, I totally understand what you mean. When I had my 1st child, I was a single mom working odd hours like 10-6:30, 1-9 mostly evening shifts and weekends 10-6. I missed out on most of my daughter's babyhood because I worked so much. I didn't receive child support so I was struggling. Then I met my husband now and we had my 2nd child. I quit my job and became a full time stay at home mom. But with just his income, it wasn't enough for us. I live in California and the cost of living here is not cheap. So I started to do some research online for work at home jobs. I've tried so many from taking surveys to reading ads I was burnt out because I wasn't getting anything. Then I found a company that was so supportive with my success and offered me full training. I took my chances again with a work at home job and it was successful! I am happy where I'm at and am able to raise my children and financially support my family. There are so many bumps in the road that you have to hit before you have find the right one. I wish you the best of luck! If you would like some more information on where I work and what i do just message me and I'll be glad to help!
May 4th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Have you thought about opening up a daycare from your home? They do VERY well in my area and most providers charge $125 per week ($25 per day) for childcare and watch 4-5 children full time. They do have to pay their own taxes since they are a small business owner, and have to buy food to feed the children, but it would allow you to be home with yours, plus provide affordable daycare for someone else.

There is also transcription work and customer service work. www.alpineaccess.com does customer service work from home and pays $10 or $11 per hour I believe and you're an employee so they deal with taking taxes, etc from your check.

I work at home as a transcriptionist for the past 5 years. So you can look into general transcription companies as well.

Check out Work at Home Jobs: Free Legitimate Work From Home Job Opportunities and they have tons of work at home job leads that are 100% legitimate and categorized based on what you are looking for.

Good luck to you!
May 4th, 2012, 06:28 PM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do well with Thirty-One. I wouldnt quit your job and just start it but if you work it part time you might be able to slowly switch over. Best of luck!!
May 14th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Lmunoz, I think you've got to look at ways to make money that you can start building now while working and then switch over. I started Scentsy last May and then quit my full time job in December. Find something you really like product-wise and you'll love recommending it and start from there?

Good luck! xx

May 17th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you do childcare with families who are subsidized you're promised a portion of your money because the state pays a portion. It's something to think about.
May 18th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Have you heard of a virtual assistant? I don't do this but have heard it can be a good option for working at home. Of course, admin experience is needed though.
May 18th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I started working with Visalus in March of this year and I'm making more money than I thought possible with direct sales. I'm also a professional blogger and promote via my blog. It is possible but don't expect it to happen overnight. Find a mentor that you can trust and that will help you 100% of the way. You can do this!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search