Any single WAHM's? Is it realistic?

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2012, 11:54 AM
shilo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not married or attached, live with my son, and I currently work from home 3 days a week and in the office 2 days a week (from my regular office job, we have a deal) and I really would like to find something else so I can work from home full time, I'm very stressed and I also have health problems that mean I sometimes really need to adjust my hours or take days or part days off. They have been flexible but I sense they're getting kind of fed up with it, while my condition isn't something that's going to go away.

I anticipate taking a pay cut to do this, but it'd be worth it (also save on daycare and I could move somewhere that's not so expensive to live). But, I'm a single mom and I've been kind of afraid to take the plunge into "freelance" work since I don't have any backup, not to mention insurance costs, etc that I'd have to worry about. I normally do computer work (quality assurance) which I manage to do with my son at home, though that's gotten harder as he's gotten older, but I don't think I could do anything on the phone with him around. I used to do a lot of handmade crafts, and can write, draw, etc but I'm really leery of starting my *own* business as I have no business experience. I'm not so much looking to be my own boss as just having some more flexibility on hours and being able to stay at home with my son, and also something I can pick up and put down more easily like writing, proofing, or making something physical. Something paying by what I produce/put into it vs just being available in a solid 8/hr chunk every day.

Is anybody else on here getting their SOLE household income from working from home or have any suggestions?

October 6th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would say it really just depends on what part of the country you live in. i say this because rent, utilities, etc differ widely depending on where you live. It would also depend on your lifestyle, what your expenses are, how much you need to make. It will then also depend on what you end up doing. You could make anywhere from $4 per hour to $20 per hour, it really just depends.

So, until you have figured out the numbers for your budget plus then have offers or know what it is that you want to do, that is almost an impossible question to answer.
October 9th, 2012, 08:22 PM
JeanZ's Avatar Member
I agree with Mommieof2. I do know that being a single wahm is possible and that you can make something well off for yourself and family but most work at home takes time to build. I know many moms that has achieved it. Keep searching for what interests you and apply. Stick to it and make it work! Try looking into home businesses too because that will allow you to be flexible with you schedule and income . Good luck!
October 18th, 2012, 11:08 AM
LindensMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was a single WAHM and built my business. You just have to manage time and set time aside to work on your business. Whether it's naptimes/bedtimes or get up earlier in the morning. If you want something, you'll find a way to make it work!

October 24th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Brittney06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There are some great opportunities out there you just need to decide if you are looking for an at home job or a business. If you are looking for a job there are a lot of calling agencies that you can look into and you can earn a paycheck if you have a little more time before you need to quite your job you may look into business oppurtunties. They take a little more time to build up but once you do then you are able to earn more.
December 6th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Brandy Luing Send a message via Skype™ to Brandy Luing
Agree with the ladies you have to decide what you want do you want to work for yourself and start a business from home or do you want a JOB. I have been working at home for 6 years, I love what I do but I to had to made the decision and I am so glad I did it 6 years ago. I am a mom to 5 now and love that fact I am my own boss and I work around all 5 of my kids no matter what.

WORK AT HOME UNITED
BRANDY LUING
DIRECTOR VII
TAYLOR, DEVIN, JESSE JR, BROOKE, AND EASTON

www.workathomeunited.com/brandy
December 7th, 2012, 01:53 AM
I don't really want to start my own business at this point... I'm not sure it's for me (at least not that I would entirely rely on it to support us). If I were married and had another income to rely on I wouldn't mind dabbling in that. The risk factor which makes me nervous about working from home full time at all is even greater when I factor in doing my own business, at least since I have no experience/aptitude for that sort of thing. I just want a way to support myself and take care of my son at the same time, I've never really been looking for a career.

January 22nd, 2014, 03:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
shilo, it's been a little over a year. Have you found something yet? I'd love to help you.

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches
January 23rd, 2014, 02:01 AM
I did, thanks for checking in. I was able to make my existing job a full-time work from home position, and I think it's working out pretty well!

January 23rd, 2014, 05:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So happy for you! I'm glad you found something that works!

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search