Childcare...

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Hi Mommas!

Do any of you have a nanny or Mother's Aide? My job is intensely hands-on and very focused. There's no way I can parent a busy 10 month old AND give my job the time it needs. Do any of you have childcare while you work? What have you found works best for you?
January 17th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Nope, sorry. I've worked full time at home for 5 1/2 years, and do that plus everything else. I guess it'd be nice in theory, but no way I could afford it.

Instead of a nanny or someone coming into your home, maybe look into home childcare in your area. It's usually FAR more reasonable than someone coming into your home.

Or, if you're able, spend more time with your child during the day and do more of your work at night.

I don't know, personally, the biggest reason I started working from home was to be able to spend the time with my kiddo, and be here when he's sick, take him to activities, parks, etc, but still earn a full time income. The biggest draw for me was being able to get rid of childcare, so it wasn't something I pursued once I started working from home ever again.

Good luck to you, whatever you end up deciding on.
January 17th, 2013, 11:21 PM
I work from home for flexibility, sure... but this is my career. I'm a graphic designer, I am the executive producer for a web-based series, and I work on customer support issues for our company. There are days and times where I am literally locked on to my computer. I have to be present, and live responding when new products launch. I don't have the option of no childcare. It would be great, but improbable in my current career path.

That being said, we've got her in a home daycare. It's wonderful. But it's a 30 minute drive (the halfway point between my house and my old job, and just down the road from my parents' place). I was a nanny in college, back before I got married and had my daughter. I would *love* to find someone to be in my home with my daughter and I during the day...

I don't know, talking to other WAHM's... there just seems to be a lot of incredulity regarding my needing to have childcare while working from home. As though somehow I'm doing it wrong... Of *course* I want to be with my daughter. I would love to be a SAHM. That would be awesome. But I also *love* what I do. It's taken me a long time to get to this point in my life, and I'm literally working my dream job. If I were doing my dream job in an office, nobody would think twice about my need for childcare... but since I work from home, I get flack for it. Friends, family, acquaintances... everybody's got an opinion about it. Usually, it's a negative one

Am I really the only one who needs childcare while working from home?
January 18th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, I think the biggest reason nobody would say anything if you were working in an office is the fact that you're not home, and obviously an office isn't going to allow you to bring your child with you.

Personally, I do not know any WAH parents who send their kids to daycare or have someone come into the home to watch them. However, with that being said, if that's what you feel you need to do, then that is what you should do. Nobody can tell you what is right or wrong for you and your family. So, make a decision for what works best for your family and then own it, regardless of what other people may think. Good or bad, everyone's going to have an opinion, but you don't have to agree with it, and they don't have to live in your shoes.

Good luck.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search