Larkin, more things you can do!!

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Alice's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi. I tried sending you a PM this morning, but I'm not sure it went through. If it did, please forgive me for being a nag.

Anyway, more things occured to me:

1) Would you consider teaching Drama at a summer camp? It might be too late in the season, but it's worth a try. Contact your local public school districts; all the ones around here offer a summer camp for 6 weeks. (If they don't already, would you be willing to start a Drama camp? You could do Impromptu, Reader's Theater...) Around here, lots of the Catholic High Schools also run summer camps for kids aged around 12 and up. See whether they can use your services.

2) Do your local churches/synagogues have an annual play? Ours does. Can they use a director? For that matter, can the local high schools use some help in that area?

3) OK, this one is a BIG time committment: Consider coaching Speech &/or Debate. I did it for 20 years and it's a wonderful activity. Go online. Try the National Catholic Forensic League (mostly East of the Mississippi, not limited to Catholics or to Catholic Schools) and the National Forensic League (across the country.) If there isn't a team at a school near you, would you consider starting a team? It's something that looks GREAT on a kid's college application, and also looks great as an activity for a school, so schools around here are always looking for coaches. Let me know if you're interested and need info; I can fill you in.

Hope this helps and again, sorry if it's a repeat!!
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
<a href="http://siggiez.com/countdownz/ch/index2.cgi">
April 20th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Larkin121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks, Alice! Your ideas are wonderful! I think I will try writing some letters to the local schools about tutoring. Beside the SAT, in this state we have the WASL, which is a state mandated test to graduate high school. The kids take it in 4th, 8th, and 10th grades, and it has math, reading, and writing. The kids just took it this week, but I bet I can get some business over the summer offering to help students with their writing so they can pass it when they go back to school. (After the 10th grade test, you can take it twice a year every year til it's time to graduate). The writing section often is the hardest for the kids to pass.

I will look up any local drama camps, though I know that our schools don't do any around here. I have seen one advertised before, but it is on the other side of our state, across the mountains, and you have to live on the campsite. I'll be 5-7 months pregnant between June and August and dont' want to do that!!! As for starting one, I'm not sure I'll have the stamina for that this year, but will definitely keep it in mind for next year.

Speech and Debate teams are amazing, I had friends on our school team in high school and I participated in the drama-related events a few times. I, however, have very little training in debate, so I would feel uncomfortable with running a team myself.

Thank you soooo much for your ideas... I will be checking into how they might work in my area!!

April 20th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Larkin121@Apr 20 2005, 10:51 AM
Speech and Debate teams are amazing, I had friends on our school team in high school and I participated in the drama-related events a few times.* I, however, have very little training in debate, so I would feel uncomfortable with running a team myself.

Thank you soooo much for your ideas... I will be checking into how they might work in my area!!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

For the record, the first few years I taught, I coached only Speech (I did Extemporaneous Speech in High School.) If you're interested, I bet there's a market for you out there somewhere, particularly if you don't have luck with a full time teaching position.

Good luck!
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
May 2nd, 2005, 06:28 PM
Larkin, having any success??
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic: