As anybody ever think

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2004, 10:40 AM
CocoHunny's Avatar Foxxy Mommie
Send a message via AIM to CocoHunny
i thought about breeding toy dogs for a long while and i think i'm gonna go ahead since i'm such a dog lover...does anyone on here do dog breeding or ever wanted to?

wanting,but waiting (sigh)
October 4th, 2004, 11:10 AM
SillyMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to SillyMama
I plan on breeding my mini dachshund one of these days, but I wouldn't want to do it all the time as a profession. I would think it would require a lot of time and I know it would be expensive, plus you always run the risk of something happening to the dog during the birth or the puppies not surviving, then all the money and effort you put into it woudl be wasted.

October 4th, 2004, 11:22 AM
grneydgurl's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to grneydgurl Send a message via Yahoo to grneydgurl
My two pekes (pure breds) had three litters.....the first one (one pup) died. The second litter (two pups) one lived and one died, and the third litter (two pups) both lived. We thought we could do it but let me tell you, I have the biggest heart when it comes to animals, and since you cannot sell them before a certain wk you get to see alot of the firsts.... Their eyes opening, them walking, barking, playing, etc its almost like a child. And when we did sell them for profit it was so hard to let them go. Maybe we went about it the wrong way in regards to spending time with them, naming them, etc but how could you not to a puppy.

We wound up getting out male fixed because we couldnt handle the heart break of selling another litter. But my female is not because if there is a time where we have to move or we cannot have her anymore for anyreason the next owners if want can breed her.

Quote:
plus you always run the risk of something happening to the dog during the birth or the puppies not surviving, then all the money and effort you put into it woudl be wasted.[/b]
That happened with the first litter, the only way we knew that she was pregnant was she started getting nipples like six of them, then her belly started to hang. She was very very very young at the time and we didnt realize that she had become a "woman"....lol So we took her to the vet and they felt her stomach and said that she was pregnant and wanted to charge us an arm and a leg for an U/S. So we denied and on mothers day in 2001 she went into labor. Well after all the research I had done I learned that they like to do it alone and in a dark comfortable area, well I wound up falling asleep on the couch and when we woke up she was, well never mind(it was really really gross), and still in labor. We didnt know if there were more, so we rushed to the vet, and they charged us something like 165.00 to tell us that there weren't anymore pups but before he just felt her stomach?? So the moral of my rambling is, yes it gets very very expensive for breeding. And you dont really get what the dog is worth if you dont have a line of breeding.
<div align="center"> Jesci's Myspace </div>
October 4th, 2004, 11:27 AM
alyssasmommy2001
Yeah, Matt and I are planning on breeding Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldogs, and we should be getting our new pup soon. We are only going to have the two dogs though, b/c even though we want to breed them, there is no point in breeding them if they aren't like part of the family, and we only have room in the house for two dogs right now. If I ever get to be a SAHM and we have a bigger house, we would like to have four.
October 5th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!

There aren't many things I am gung ho about it, but this is one of them!!!!! :soapbox:

Breeding should be left to the professionals. NOT to someone who just wants to make a quick buck. There is FAR more involved than just getting two nice looking dogs together and mating them.

I dont' care if you are a dog lover. If you are a dog lover, then you won't keep populating the world with more puppies that aren't asking to be born. Have you looked at your breeds rescue page?? I can guarantee you more than one of those dogs came from a "breeder". And is that dog in a loving home, no it's not...at least not a permanent home. The rescue dogs are the lucky ones..there are hundreds more stuck in kill shelters all over the nation.

I suggest you talk to reputable breeders...not the breeders you find in the classifieds in your newspaper. Those people are puppy mills.

I do not take this lightly! If you choose to love the breed, then do something FOR the breed and foster a rescue, donate to rescue...DON'T CONTRIBUTE ANOTHER DOG TO RESCUE!

ok...I'm done for now.

Stitched For Kids - Personalized Super Hero Capes, Personalized Hooded Towels, Nap Mats, Personalized Father/Son shirts, Toddler Aprons!
"Like" us on Facebook!
October 5th, 2004, 02:21 PM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally posted by sunsetsue@Oct 5 2004, 03:16 PM

There aren't many things I am gung ho about it, but this is one of them!!!!! :soapbox:

Breeding should be left to the professionals. NOT to someone who just wants to make a quick buck. There is FAR more involved than just getting two nice looking dogs together and mating them.

I dont' care if you are a dog lover. If you are a dog lover, then you won't keep populating the world with more puppies that aren't asking to be born. Have you looked at your breeds rescue page?? I can guarantee you more than one of those dogs came from a "breeder". And is that dog in a loving home, no it's not...at least not a permanent home. The rescue dogs are the lucky ones..there are hundreds more stuck in kill shelters all over the nation.

I suggest you talk to reputable breeders...not the breeders you find in the classifieds in your newspaper. Those people are puppy mills.

I do not take this lightly! If you choose to love the breed, then do something FOR the breed and foster a rescue, donate to rescue...DON'T CONTRIBUTE ANOTHER DOG TO RESCUE!

ok...I'm done for now.
ITA!
October 6th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents breeded dogs for a few years. It takes alot of work and time. They had their dogs registered, tattooed, etc. There are certain bloodlines that they had to research to find out whether they could breed the dogs with theirs(and this was in the days before computers,lol).

Now they wish they had kept it up. They want another dog, the same as what they bred(Norweigan Elkhounds) and they are very very rare to find. They are picky and only want certain bloodlines, they want them registered and tattooed but even finding any NE that is not registered or tattooed or part of a specific bloodline is impossible.

We have friends who bred their Pug. Their Pug is too old to be bred anymore. They had to make sure their dog had all it's shots, be checked out by a vet, etc.
October 6th, 2004, 01:05 PM
alyssasmommy2001
Quote:
Originally posted by threeboyznme70+Oct 5 2004, 05:21 PM-->
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-sunsetsue
Quote:
@Oct 5 2004, 03:16 PM

There aren't many things I am gung ho about it, but this is one of them!!!!!* :soapbox:

Breeding should be left to the professionals.* NOT to someone who just wants to make a quick buck.* There is FAR more involved than just getting two nice looking dogs together and mating them.

I dont' care if you are a dog lover.* If you are a dog lover, then you won't keep populating the world with more puppies that aren't asking to be born.* Have you looked at your breeds rescue page??* I can guarantee you more than one of those dogs came from a "breeder".* And is that dog in a loving home, no it's not...at least not a permanent home.* The rescue dogs are the lucky ones..there are hundreds more stuck in kill shelters all over the nation.

I suggest you talk to reputable breeders...not the breeders you find in the classifieds in your newspaper.* Those people are puppy mills.*

I do not take this lightly!* If you choose to love the breed, then do something FOR the breed and foster a rescue, donate to rescue...DON'T CONTRIBUTE ANOTHER DOG TO RESCUE!

ok...I'm done for now.
ITA! [/b]
I understand how you both feel, but not all ppl who breed dogs from their home are this way. With the breed we want to start breeding, you have to meet certain requirements before they will even consider you for your breeders license, and we have met all of those requirements. Our dog is a RARE BREED, so it is ILLEGAL to breed them without meeting the proper requirements to receive your license. It is not a "puppy mill" if someone only has two dogs that they breed. I have seen a puppy mill, and those places have TONS of dogs, all unhealthy and uncared for. Our animals are indoor animals, and we have a place set aside for the mother and puppies inside our house. As for the dogs ending up in rescue shelters, that can happen with any breeder. You can only make judgement on who you choose to sell a dog to, but you never truly know what is going to happen when this dog gets to it's new home. I know that with our particular breed that is one of the guidelines to being a breeder, is that you have to inform the buyer that if for any reason they are unsatisfied with the dog, they are to return it to you, not place it in a shelter or let it become a stray. You have to make the buyer sign a contract stating that they agree to these and many other terms. Reputable breeders start the same way.

For anyone who is considering breeding, make sure that you get a license, and become a licensed breeder with the association that your particular breed falls under, like the AKC, or ours is the ABBA. Breeding is work, and you really need to make sure that you do everything possible to make sure that you protect the dogs. I have had family experience with dog breeding, and it isn't an easy thing. You have to make sure that you treat the animals like family, they can't just be used to breed. And you have to put a lot of money into it as well, for food, toys vet bills, etc.

But I totally understand where you two are coming from, b/c we have rescued two dogs from puppy mills, until we could find them good, permanent homes. We take in animals all the time, and have them for up to a year sometimes before we find them a good home. It takes a lot of time and money to bring them in just temporarily, but I just can't stand to see an animal without a good home. We have taken it upon ourselves to make our home a temporary shelter for animals that we find. We have taken in three dogs and a cat, two of the dogs from puppy mills. It is a really sad thing to see.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search