Adding a ROR file to website

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2005, 01:40 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I am having problems doing this. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I went to a site to add my website to search engines and then I was supposed to add the ROR file, but it wasnt coming out right. I added the buttons and they came out fine.
July 13th, 2005, 03:13 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
What is ROR file? What does that stand for? Sorry I haven't heard that term before. If you want to get your site listed in search engines you should really only need to submit it to the major search engines. Are you talking about a text file for robots? I can help with that if that is what you are talking about.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
July 13th, 2005, 03:49 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Quote:
Originally posted by pattyandthemoos@Jul 13 2005, 05:13 PM
What is ROR file?* What does that stand for?* Sorry I haven't heard that term before.* If you want to get your site listed in search engines you should really only need to submit it to the major search engines.* Are you talking about a text file for robots?* I can help with that if that is what you are talking about.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
I dont know either I was submitting my info on a site and then it let me do a bunch of sites and then it said I had to copy and paste the ROR file to the main directory of the website, whatever the heck it is all about!
July 13th, 2005, 04:42 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Don't do it! A lot of these search engine submission sites are a waste of your time. The only search engines people really use are the major ones like google, yahoo and MSN. We probably get less than one percent of our traffic from other search engines. Search egines send spiders (or robots) to crawl through your site. That uses a certain amount of your bandwith each month. These smaller search engines annoy the crap out of me. I have had to ban a few of them from the site because they were completely wasting our bandwith. We have thousands of pages on the forums so if we have search engines going crazy on them it will just waste our bandwith. I don't mind wasting bandwith for google cause people actually use google but not for these dumb search engines noone has ever heard of or will ever use.

If you want to get your site in search engines, submit your site to DMOZ open directory. Then start working on getting links to your site. All it takes is one link on a quality site (ie, Justmommies, hint, hint) to get you into google. Of course you may not be ranked number one in google with that but you will at least be listed in the directory somewhere.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search