EBAY

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2005, 09:56 PM
mommyang's Avatar Veteran
ok, dh and i have really been considering selling on ebay. at first we were just going to start looking for our own stuff to sell, around the house here and at resell stores, ect. but im thinking now that i might want to place an ad in the local paper here to offer to sell other peoples stuff for them. a good i dea, i thought, for people that are having yard sales ect.... most who are more then likely going to either pack up what they dont sell, donate it or just pitch it. why should they do either one when theres a chance they could get rid of it and still be putting money in their pocket? i figured running an ad in the paper as well as stopping by any sales that i pass with some info on my services just might get me some decent traffic.

but im wondering what to charge for each sale. im planning on asking that they pay me the sellers fees i will have to pay to ebay as well as a percentage of their sale- but how much is good for me and them? im thinking of charging a certain percentage for if they bring the item(s) they want listed to me. and a certain percent higher if i had to go get the items for them. but it has to be a win/win for us both for this to work.

any ideas/ advice??

TIA

Angie
August 1st, 2005, 09:50 AM
JGoldinger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JGoldinger Send a message via MSN to JGoldinger Send a message via Yahoo to JGoldinger
There is a store in my town that does that. Its pretty cool and a good idea. Though we sell our own stuff.

I think it is a great idea and you should deffinatly run on it. Not a lot of people have realised you can do that yet.

<div align="center"></div>
August 3rd, 2005, 06:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi there Angie! You might want to hit the community discussion boards on eBay's site. There is a wealth of information there. Plus, run to your local bookstore and check out the eBay section. lol It's amazing how many books you'll find.
August 3rd, 2005, 06:58 AM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
Remember that if you offer pay pal as a method of payment they take a percentage off so I would factor that into the price.

August 4th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think that a fee + percentage of what it sells for would be appropriate.
August 7th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Veteran
I think it's a great idea as long as you are honest with the people you deal with, as I'm sure you would be. My dad doesn't really know much about Ebay but he had given a bunch of stuff to a guy at a shop near him that sells stuff on Ebay for people and he said the guy charges him a flat fee no matter what he sells and what it sells for. He was getting ripped off when the guy would sell something for a lot of $$. I charge a fee for doing it in the beginning and then not charge for the Ebay auction fees until the auction ends, but that's JMHO.

It's very hard to sell on Ebay and actually make money. Unless you are selling real estate, automobiles or heavy equipment, etc. then it's hard to know what someone is willing to bid and if you start the bidding out too high then no one may bid at all. It's very frustrating! I have had good luck with selling my husband's musical equipment on there. We usually make at the least $800 per item when selling guitars, amps, recorders and other things on there related to music. But none of those people ever leave feedback for some odd reason. I guess they forget.
August 7th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by mommyangie@Aug 7 2005, 08:58 AM
It's very hard to sell on Ebay and actually make money. Unless you are selling real estate, automobiles or heavy equipment, etc. then it's hard to know what someone is willing to bid and if you start the bidding out too high then no one may bid at all.
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]
If I may, I disagree with your statement. I know quite a few people that do pretty well on eBay - so well that it's become their primary source of income. There are a number of factors that weigh into this but imo the kicker is to know what you're selling. Prior to any of my auctions, I spend a bit of time just doing some simple research on the market of the items and price accordingly. I really just started selling again on eBay within the past month or two and am still learning all the tricks of the trade. lol It's actually becoming addicting!
August 7th, 2005, 03:16 PM
~Cupcake~'s Avatar ChristaT
My sister was able to stay home for almost 5 years just by selling on ebay. The only reason she stopped was because the Canadian dollar went up and she was not making as much money, and thought since her kids are all in school now it would be nice to get a job outside of the home. She had a supplier that she bought DVD's from and sold them on ebay. There are a few people on there that have found buying from suppliers in bulk and then selling the items makes a good profit. But it took up quite a bit of her time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search