Suggestions

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2005, 03:25 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Hi! I wish I'd seen this board sooner!

I've just had my 3rd failed pregnancy...we have no children. My husband works, but really, a second paycheck is needed, especially if we plan to have a baby. Unfortunately, I was told last week that my docs will put me on bedrest for my next pregnancy. I was going to a job interview, but cancelled because, if I get pregnant again (and I want to ASAP), I will have to quit. I've looked into WAH stuff, but it mostly seems like scams. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Something I might find/be able to do but adhere to the bedrest, at least mostly?

ANY ideas/suggestions are most appreciated! Thanks!

October 17th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Alice's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi. It sounds like you're looking for something you can do from a laptop or phone.

Could you tell us something about yourself: education, interests, work background, etc???
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
<a href="http://siggiez.com/countdownz/ch/index2.cgi">
October 17th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Hi, Alice. Thanks for your quick reply. I AM looking for something primarily computer or phone-based, but more computer if possible.

I don't know how much to put here, but I'll try to be brief: I'm in the middle of a master's program in history, but taking time to establish residency and hopefully start this family. I have a BA from a "Little Ivy League" liberal arts college; my majors were classics and sociology. From all of this, I have attention to detail, writing skills, typing, organizational, etc. As for work experience, I've dipped my toes into everything. I've done customer service, education, historic preservation, fund raising, arts, secretarial, editorial, and I've been a librarian...and more. I learn quickly. My interests are just as varied--I'm a curious person willing to learn just about anything.

I checked with the doc and I won't be allowed to do much running around. She said that I can sit up, but I have to be able to lie down when I need to, nap when I need to, shower, eat, etc...all on my schedule. It wouldn't have to be a high-powered, high-income job, but something supplemental, a little money just in case and to pay the medical bills. If I could continue it and do it after giving birth, that would be WONDERFUL!

Any help/suggestions you ladies could offer would be most appreciated. THANK YOU!

October 18th, 2005, 05:04 AM
HI again!

How about freelance writing exam questions?

I taught math for 20 years and I'm now home with my 3 kids. I've done tons of tutoring (Are you interested? If you have a background in education you could do this... the money is great and I do it from my dining room, although it would be hard to do from bed. Let me know if you want details)

Anyway, I started freelancing over the summer. There's a lot out there for math; I would imagine there's also some out there for Language Arts &/or History if you're persistant enough.

Hit some of the freelance sites and type in "Freelance writing; history questions" Or "Freelance item writing, history"... See what comes up.

Some sites to try:
www.elance.com (although you have to pay to join, you can browse for free)
www.monster.com
www.freelancewriting.com
www.poewar.com

There are more out there. Scroll down to last summer; I think "Radish4ever" posted the original list that got me started.

Type up a resume & cover letter and start e-mailing them, even to companies that aren't looking for someone right now. They can keep you on file. OF the three jobs I've had so far (one is ongoing.. a check every 2 weeks!!!), only one came from an ad; the other 2 I just e-mailed a resume and they said yes!

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
October 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I would love to tutor--or even research, proofread, etc. But you're right; doing this from bed might be inconvenient...not to mention sketchy! It's hard to seem dynamic when you're lying in bed under the covers! I know that there are online tutoring opportunities, but I've had a hard time finding them in my search so far.

I've looked at monster.com and there's really nothing in my area. Most jobs seem to want people for the larger cities. I live in a teeny town, so a lot of those networking and selling jobs wouldn't work so well for me.

Elance--I joined that a long time ago and never got anything from them. I'm very hesitant to join again after that.

Alice, how did you go about getting a job as a freelance problem-writer? That actually sounds like a lot of fun! I wouldn't even know where to begin with looking for non-math problem-writing. Maybe I should just go with math.
May I also ask a weird favor? Do you happen to have a sample cover letter/resume for looking for such work? Again, I'm not sure how I would sell myself to someone who will most likely never meet me...

Thanks again for all your help! I'm feeling a little bit better about my prospects!

October 18th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Hi again,

Try www.smarthinking.com I think they do online tutoring. Or try Kumon or some of the other learning centers. Try typing "online English tutoring" or something similar into a search engine... either a Google type or one on a freelance site.

As to finding online problems, try typing "freelance English problems" or "Freelance Item writers" into a search engine. Most of the sites I've seen seem to want people with a background in the area... you said you've worked in education, so take your lead from what you've taught.

How about misc freelance writing? Try www.articleauthors.com/forums It's a site for people who write articles on whatever comes up. THe money isn't great, but it's only a month or two old, the volume is starting to pick up.
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
October 22nd, 2005, 01:47 PM
How about teaching an online course? There are a ton of "online colleges" out there... you submit a your qualifications and come up with a syllabus and tests and so on. Then you get paid a percentage of the fees they charge.
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
November 7th, 2005, 06:51 AM
Super Mommy
My friend Nell is an expert in Telecommuting. Perhaps you can find something there -- I recommend her highly.

Here's her newsletter where she shares job leads --
http://www.telecommutinganswerlady.com/

Or if you don't want to sign up for that, she has some info on her site --
http://www.mommysplace.net/Benefit_o...commuting.html

I hope that helps!
Nicole
November 10th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Alice, I've never thought about teaching an online course. I have no idea what that would entail, or if anyone would even consider me, but FUN!!!

Nicole, thanks! If you consider her your friend, that means more than some other site I might find online. I signed up for the newsletter and am anxiously awaiting!!! I'm getting sort of desperate, since we're trying again and DH is looking for another job (hates the one he has now!). EEK!

Everyone cross your fingers!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search