Thinking of starting business...

Forum: Work at Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Work at Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2005, 10:53 AM
kim79's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kim79 Send a message via Yahoo to kim79
Well a friend and I were talking about home business and I suggested that maybe we go into business together. We decides we would give it a try but we have absolutly no idea where to start. I've been making soaps, candles, lotions, ect. for a few years now for friends and family on the holidays so we thought that it is what we should do since I know how to make them already. But, where do we start?? We've decided to do it from my home and start off with just a website to see how things work out. Do we need to have a license to sell? How much does opening an at home business cost (besides the supply cost)?

November 1st, 2005, 06:13 PM
Alice's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Why not contact your local chamber of commerce and ask? I bet they have all that info in a pamphlet or something.

But start ASAP-- now that Halloween is over, the holidays will be here in a heartbeat!

Why not contact the local PTA and see if you can donate a small basket to their current fundraiser? Getting your name in the donor's booklet might be worth the price of the supplies it costs you. See if the local elementary schools will let you include some of your products in their Holiday boutiques (where the kids buy gifts for Mom, Dad, grandma....) They'll have to be really cheap, but it will get your name out there.

Also, look into local crafts fairs-- they're all over the place this time of year. I think that, for lots of them, you pay for the table, then sell all you can.

Have free business cards made up at vistaprint.com NOW so that you can attach one to everything you make. You can do it online and, with the holidays coming so fast, it's probably worth it to pay for fast shipping.
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
<a href="http://siggiez.com/countdownz/ch/index2.cgi">
November 2nd, 2005, 08:42 PM
JGoldinger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JGoldinger Send a message via MSN to JGoldinger Send a message via Yahoo to JGoldinger
That sounds like a great idea. I agree with Alice your chamber of commerce is the first place you need to go to. They will tell you everything that you need to know about operating a business out of your home. It varies places to places.

I dont think that operating out of your home would cost so much other then the different
liscnse's supplies and of course how ever you are going to promote the fact that you have this business.

<div align="center"></div>
November 3rd, 2005, 11:32 AM
Stacey's Avatar Super Star...mom to 6 ♥
That sounds awesome and the girls above have some great suggestions! Also word of mouth does get far! I had so many orders from my sisters job when she brought in one of my dolls and left it on her desk!

November 7th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Super Mommy
I'd check out the sba.gov
They have a lot of free advice there.

And, you may want to set up a LLC for your business since it's health-related? I'm not sure about the laws with that, though.

Best wishes!
Nicole

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search