toddler blues

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Loss Graduates Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm having one of those cranky parenting moments again, where I feel at a loss with a new situation and we haven't adjusted yet. Sally is suddenly in full out toddler mode, and mommy is trying to catch up. And I'm tired. Really tired, like haven't slept for almost two years tired, which I think is why I just don't feel like I have the patience to deal with every little meltdown the way I did when she was younger.

So, BTDT mamas, how do you cope when they start to get the toddler attitude? Thankfully DH is being really cool about me needing some space and he's putting her to bed right now.

And yes, most of the time she's impossibly cute. We've just been sick the entire month of June (all of us) and I could really use a break from it.

Need Breastfeeding Support?

June 16th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh Sara, I'm so sorry you are having such a difficult time adjusting. It really can be trying and quite exhausting. It seems like all of a sudden everything changes over night and you just kind of lose control of everything. I know how hard it is when you think you finally have some control of the roller coaster and then you lose it again. I wish I could tell you how to get back in control but I have never found a way and have just had to adapt to it all. It's not easy but the important thing is just to take some time for yourself and allow some "me time" as a treat for all the hard work you do. Being sick doesn't make it easy either and I hope you all start feeling better soon because that will take some of the stress off. Of course the stress also makes it hard to get better so it's really important to relieve that stress. Also, you have to make time for you and DH to be a couple and enjoy being friends. We tend to forget that there was life before children and it's kind of hard to get back to adult relationships again when you spend your whole day with a toddler (or baby).

visit my blog Rhondas random thoughts
June 17th, 2008, 08:58 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't really top what Rhonda said so I'll just her.

I do hope you all get feeling better soon. If it helps, my ped said that the kiddos who are most challenging when they're little are generally easy as teens. For whatever that's worth to a currently sleep deprived, nursing mom of a toddler.

Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
June 17th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks. We've had a better day today. I think sometimes I just get overwhelmed and need to regroup and remember to let it all go. I've also found that if I take Sally outside to burn off some energy things go a lot better. And as silly as this is, we have a new neighbor with a kid close in age who appears (to us, of course) to be the classic "good" baby - sleeps well, eats well, plays well, etc, while I've come to wonder if I have the classic "high needs" baby. As much as I like the neighbors, I think I just need to not have any more baby conversations. It makes me feel like I must be doing something wrong, although intuitively I think I probably just have a really bright, spirited kid.

Kathryn, I hope that teenager thing is right...

June 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sara, I have a bright spirited child too. I know how it can be. You just have to remember that parents arent always so truthful when it comes to baby bragging. Some exaggerate the truth. Your neighbors may be trying to appear to have the picture perfect child because that is what's important. They may be the parents who plaster the classic "my child is brighter and better than yours" bumper stickers on their minivan. The truth isn't always what we get so I wouldn't compare. Sally is bright and beautiful and spirited and you can't compare her to any other child because she is who she is. I have been reading this book and it seems to me as if the author followed me around for a week and observed Nick. I really suggest it to anyone who has a spirited child.

visit my blog Rhondas random thoughts
June 17th, 2008, 01:41 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the book recommendation, Rhonda. That describes Ben to a T. I just requested it from the library, so it should be there for me to pick up on Monday.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
June 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the book recommendation, and the common sense. I do have a tendency to be totally gullible and forget that everyone has an agenda of their own.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search