Ugh...infections.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Loss Graduates Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2008, 07:43 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Both boys have infections. Ben has a tooth that's been loose for 3 months now (upper front). He says it won't come out. Now the gum over it is reddish-purple and it looks like the permanent tooth is trying to break through. He complained over the weekend that it hurt and was bleeding, which is when we saw the discolored gum. Called the dentist yesterday and they said to bring him in today to check it out. He may have to get it pulled. That's gonna cost the Tooth Fairy a fortune!

Then yesterday morning I noticed that Alex's left ear looked red, but thought it was just from the way he'd been turned in his car seat. When I was getting him ready for bed last night, I noticed it was reddish purple and thick/swollen and hot. So off to urgent care where they determined that he got a staph infection in the skin of his ear from a scratch on the back of it. They gave him a quick acting antibiotic shot and then we had to start his 10 days of antibiotics last night. It looked a little better this morning, but still red and swollen. Poor little guy. He smiled, flirted with, and blew kisses to all the nurses and doctors while we were there. You couldn't tell he was feeling bad except when he'd mess with the sore ear. We go get it checked by his pedi tomorrow because if it gets into his bloodstream it gets really bad. Yikes!
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
September 9th, 2008, 09:37 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OUCH! Both of those sound so painful. Praying that they're better soon.

September 10th, 2008, 07:03 AM
OK, so the good news is that Ben's gum is not infected after all, just irritated because the tooth needs to come out. Bad news is that if it's not out by Friday, then the dentist will pull it while also filling cavities in ALL 4 of his 6 year old molars. So this tooth that we thought would be a simple pluck and out will now cost $236.xx (that we don't have) for the fillings and extraction. If we can get him to pull the tooth by Friday, that will save $56.

Alex goes for his recheck today, but his ear is looking MUCH better. Hoping that continues.
September 10th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow, my goodness, poor boys. I am glad to hear your boys are getting better but i'm sorry that it's gonna cost so much to get that tooth done. I hope it falls out on its own and he just has to get the fillings, that way it will save you some cash.
September 10th, 2008, 10:58 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh goodness lady - glad to hear everyone is mending up! Make sure to be giving that little one lots of yogurt or try taking some Acidophillus yourself - it will help stave off any icky effects the antibiotic may have on his tummy & bowels. Keep us updated on how they're doing!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

September 11th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks, ladies! Alex had a checkup yesterday and the meds are working. Yay! Infection is clearing and not turning into a MRSA thing, which they were worried about Monday night. So that was a relief. Swelling is almost gone, but must still be sensitive because he doesnt' like me messing with it. He's good about taking his meds and he LOVES yogurt, so he's in good shape there. I did forget about his acidophillus in the fridge, so I may have to add that to his dinners as extra protection. Thanks for the reminder, Beckie.
September 11th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Glad to hear he is doing better. Its hard to see them sick with anything.
September 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad to hear they're doing better. Did you manage to get that tooth out?

September 13th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So glad they are feeling better. I hope everyone is well soon and that tooth comes out!

visit my blog Rhondas random thoughts
September 14th, 2008, 08:48 PM
We couldn't get the tooth out so the dentist did it. Now he's got that adorable gap toothed grin for his school pics! And he got all the cavities filled. He hates us brushing his teeth (dentist's orders), but we're not shelling out hundreds of dollars every 6 months because he doesn't brush well enough. So, until we can trust him to do a good job, we'll be manning the brush.

But for now, both boys are well again. Yay!
September 15th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My goodness...what an ordeal. Glad to hear all's well again.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search