Sigh... refusing bottles

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Loss Graduates Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
But now I can't go ANYWHERE for more than about an hour and a half without the baby. Tonight DH called me while I was at my orchestra rehearsal after he had tried a bottle, a sippy cup, and rice cereal, and she wouldn't have any of it. He wants us to try the fast flow nipples to see if it helps, but I have this sinking feeling that it's an "I need Mommy" thing. Part of me is a bit down about it, since it means I'll probably have to take a break from my orchestra (I can't leave to nurse in the middle of a concert, and I've got one on Sunday and one in a few weeks). I've already switched our childcare to have a friend watch her at the house while I work from home instead of her going to daycare, because that was pretty much a disaster. She still only goes about two hours between feedings during the day. Hopefully solids will stretch that out a bit. I'm going to try cereal again when she isn't so upset and see how we do.

But then the other part of me feels really happy that she wants Mommy so much. Considering how badly we wanted her, I really can't find it in me to be that upset.

Need Breastfeeding Support?

September 27th, 2007, 08:19 PM
lizard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I feel your pain. I can't get DD to take a bottle or a sippy cup, or anything else but me. She does much worse when anyone else tries to give her one and she prefers that I feed her solids as well. DH thinks that maybe if we tried formula (vs. BM) that she would take it, but I point out that she doesn't want the juice from them either, and I would think that she would prefer that because of the sweetness of it. It is very frustrating that I can't have any time to myself, but I can't complain either, since being a Mommy is all I have ever wanted.

10/31/05 (EDD 5/15/06), 4/17/06 (EDD 11/13/06)
Chemical p/g 1/11/08

September 28th, 2007, 12:38 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ahhh...there's nothing quite as wonderful (or as exhausting) as being The Chosen One! Alex is quite preferential, too. Have you tried different bottles/nipples? We started with the VentAires, but he never really liked them. We switched to the Playtex Drop Ins with the silicone NaturaLatch nipples and he's done great ever since. Just a thought. It probably is just Sally wanting mommy, but if you haven't tried other bottles, it might be worth a shot.

Keep in mind that it doesn't last forever and just try to enjoy it/work around it as best you can. I'd hate for you to have to miss a concert, because I know you really enjoy your orchestra time. Hopefully you can figure something out.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
September 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I got someone to cover this concert and I will probably have to do that for the next one as well. I am bummed about it, especially when I had to turn down a potentially long term paying gig today, but in the end it really isn't that long that they're babies. We have tried different bottles, and I was doing at least one bottle a week to try to prevent this. I told my LC that, and she said one bottle a week is what they tell people, but she is starting to think it has to be more like one a day due to the number of people she's talked to with the same exact story.

On the plus side, I haven't pumped regularly in a few weeks.

September 30th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy

My ds was bottle fed and actually kicked and clawed at me while I tried to nurse him, but I wanted to be included in this one. Doesn't it make you feel loved.

visit my blog Rhondas random thoughts
September 30th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Aww, thanks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search