Stinkin' Dr!!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Loss Graduates Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well we had a Dr appt today & it was ridiculous. This was a new Dr - so I really didn't know what to expect - but I had high hopes because I LOVE my Dr (he's an Osteopath, and this Dr is now in the same practice). Anyway - she was a wacko. She first started off with questioning me about how many/much solids he is getting (which he is doing once a day, sometimes twice since more than that seems to push us into a serious pooping bonanza). When I say pooping - I mean it almost overloads his system & he goes into pooping 8-10 times a day instead of once every other day...FARRRRR more is leaving than what he taking in extra of solids - so I believe that it makes sense to think it even interferes with how well he is digesting the breast milk - since it is passing through him so fast. Anyway ..... she somehow manages to tell me that he would have had teeth MUCH sooner had he been started on solids at 4 mos. She seemed to think the 2 he got last week aren't enough for this age???? Then she tells me that he only wakes at night because I am not giving him enough solids. She also told me that BM wasn't enough nutrition at this age & "all he can get from it is what you get from milk" whatever that is supposed to mean. When she came in I was nursing him because it was about time, but as soon as she came in I stopped - because he is wayyyyy too easily distracted & with these new teeth he sometimes "scrapes" when he decides to pop off to check out what is happening & I knew he'd be distracted enough to make it through a typical appt without eating. She told me to go ahead & continue but I told her why I needed to stop. Then I tell her I don't want to do any vax today - we are going with a delayed vax schedule..well she was nice - but VERY pushy. In the end i spent 1.5 HOURS listening to how I BF too much & how he needs his vax today for a multitude of reasons - most ridiculous (that if I get them too late he will remember the shots & have life=long fear of Dr's)

But anyway - he is doing great overall... 29inches, 22lb 5 oz, & his head is 48 cm. So he FINE.....even if the poor thing has a momma that doesn't give him "enough solids" or vax "on time", etc, etc, etc. It's really hard to explain exactly what happened - but seriously - I was there forever & she made me feel like she though I was paranoid & ignorant.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

November 2nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Grrrrr...I hate when dr's make you feel like an idiot for doing what you feel is best for the child you know better than anyone. That crap about solids related to tooth arrival is just that...crap! I have never in all my years of working with/having children heard those two things related. Alex is just now getting his first two teeth. Our doc said some kids start walking before they get teeth and that's completely normal. As for the vaxing, that's completely your choice and your regular doc seems very supportive of that. I say request your regular doc going forward and avoid this new lady at all costs.

When I called in for Alex's cough several weeks ago, they told me who was available and that they wanted me to see this one lady (who told me that BFing wouldn't lessen the severity of any allergies or asthma that Alex will probably have and who completely missed his bronchiolitis). I flat told the nurse that I won't see that lady again and I'll go to the urgent care instead if that's my only choice. Amazingly they found me an appointment that same day with one of my fave docs.

Sometimes doctors/their offices really tick me off. I'll get off my soap box now. I'm glad that despite all the mis-information the doc lectured you on, that Jonah is growing well.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
November 2nd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Sally has nine teeth and barely eats any solids at all. But I think Jonah definitely has the biggest head! What's his percentile?

There are a few docs I won't see anymore either. I love her primary doc and one other in the practice, but otherwise I've had similar experiences, with them making me feel like I was worried for nothing.

Need Breastfeeding Support?

November 2nd, 2007, 05:20 PM
lizard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is ridiculous! I've never heard anything like that ever, and some of the doctors we've seen are older (were my peds when I was little!).

I'm glad I like most of the docs in the practice that I go to. There is only one that I can't stand, but that is because she talks down to me. Our peds seem to be fairly open minded. While they make recommendations, they leave the parenting up to you.

10/31/05 (EDD 5/15/06), 4/17/06 (EDD 11/13/06)
Chemical p/g 1/11/08

November 2nd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's absurd what she told you. BM is the best nutrition for your baby and it's not just like cow's milk. As for a baby developing a fear of dr's if it has delayed shots...then how does she explain the shots she gives to kids who are older and have them on schedule?!? YOu don't stop vaxing after a certain age!!!

As for the teeth and solid foods...what the heck!?! I have a friend who's baby ate solids starting from a early age and she didn't cut her 1st tooth until she was 11 months old! How can a dr say with a straight face such things! Like the body and the gums know what's liquid and what's solid. Like solid foods is going to make teeth pop through faster if they are near the gumline to begin with!

I hope you go back with your old dr.
November 2nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for understanding.... I forgot to add (I was starting to tell that part & forgot) that the part where I stopped Bfing because she came in... Later after we'd been thee so long he started wanting to nurse again - totally normal since he didn't get a full feeding & now 90 mins had passed....she then proceeded to tell me that he wouldn't need to eat again already if I carried solids with me & fed him something more substantial to curb his appetite a bit better - and this is jsut one more way I should be able to see that BF isn't enough. I told her that I was NOT going to discuss his eating & BF again with her & that he is hungry because he is hungry & I will nurse him when he wants to...end of discussion. I didn't bother reminding her I had cut his nursing short to save being interupted by him popping on & off while he got distracted by his check-up....there is no sense trying to educate her IMO.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search