Update on Daniel

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Loss Graduates Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Veteran
Daniel is doing ok. We just spent a couple of days in hospital because he needed a few diagnostic tests so they can plan his surgeries. This time we went to a differetn hospital, so other than the stress associated with the test itselt (he had a cardiac catheterization, which is a fairly invasive test), we didn't have to deal with any dramas associated with poor hospital administration and management.

It looks like he is doing ok, all things considered. I mean, his heart still needs repairing but his condition has not worsened (ie, he is not showing signs of congestive heart failure, which is a huge relief). He does get a bit blue in the afternoons and he gets tired easily (so he doesn't try to roll or move around much)....but there isn't much that can be done about that at the moment. At least he is eating and has managed to put on some weight, so his size is only a bit below what should be (babies with heart problems tend to have feeding problems, so they tend to be smaller than other babies).

The next step is a pre op appointment with the surgeon, which has been scheduled for mid Jan. I still don't know the date for his first surgery, but I am guessing it will be somewhere in Feb. If all continues to be ok, by then Daniel will be a "bigger" baby (he will be close to 5 months) so he will be better prepared to handle the stress of heart surgery.

The fact that my baby is going to have heart surgery still scares the life out of me, but I am coming to terms with that. Sometimes I even feel grateful to have that option....I mean, without surgery, Daniel would be unlikely to survive. So, yes, surgery is a wonderful thing! But of course it is also scary because so many things could go wrong.

But, I am trying not to think about that right now. Instead, I have decided to get myself into xmas mood. So I have managed to send a couple of xmas cards and, most important of all, I went and bought Daniel a santa hat and suit. This is hist first xmas and we will make the most of it, no matter what.

Take care (and a big xmas cheer for all of you)

Paula
December 20th, 2007, 02:12 PM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the update, Paula. You certainly have your hands full and I'm sure not much time to pop on here. We've been sending lots and lots of prayers your direction. So glad that things with Daniel are stable!

I love your attitude about Christmas and hope you have a truly Merry and Blessed one.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
December 20th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh my hun! I can't even begin to imagine what must be going through your mind. (((hugs)))
December 20th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the update, and Merry Christmas to you and your family, especially little Daniel!

Need Breastfeeding Support?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search