update and surgery question

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Recurrent Loss Graduates Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2008, 09:30 AM
candacesoon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone,

Here's a quick update on us.... Miles has to have surgery for his tongue tie on Jan 23rd. We've known Miles had this problem since birth but my regular doc kept saying, "wait and see". He finally referred us to the ENT last month. This really upsets me because if the ENT had seen him before he was 2 mon old they could have clipped it right in the office. Now he has to do it in the hosp. under sedation. I just talked to the hosp. today and they say Miles has to fast from midnight on. His sugery will be sometime early the next morning.

I just don't know what to do. Miles does NOT sleep through the night...not by a long shot. He nurses every few hours. He certainly needs to nurse when he gets up in the morning. I'm considering putting this surgery off until he is a little older and can go without eating longer. But I'd also love to get it over with before the tongue tie affects his speech. What do you all think? I know that I'm blessed that Miles only has to have surgery for this little thing and I'm grateful for a healthy child but I still don't want him to be miserable, even for 8 hours, KWIM?

Things are going okay with Miles and I besides this issue. He has started to have a poopy diaper every few days instead of every week. He still doesn't sleep much at all and I'm a walking zombie. I did get a laptop for Christmas so as soon as I get internet at home, I should be able to be on here more often. Right now, I am using the internet at home but that's because I am sitting by the back door with the door open (Brrrrr!) and stealing the neighbors wireless signal!

Here are a few of Miles pics at 6 mon. old.

January 14th, 2008, 09:44 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He's such a cutie! Have you talked to the doc about your concerns for him not being able to fast during the night? Alex still nurses several times a night at 9 months and there's no putting him to sleep otherwise, so I understand your concern. Surely there's some compromise they can make.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
January 14th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I did speak to the drs office and they cannot advise anything different due to the risk of him vomiting while under sedation and then asperating fluid into his lungs. I haven't had a chance talk to my DH about this...I'll see what his take on this is.

thanks for the compliment for miles ...I think he's a handsome boy myself!

January 14th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Aww...what a cutie he is!!!!!

How frustrating to hear it could have been an in office procedure. I hate it when dr's take a "wait & see" stand. It's almost like they're too lazy to do something.

ROLF...I can just imagine you sitting by the open door freezing...all in the name of getting your JM fix!
January 15th, 2008, 07:48 AM
4iris's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I should have mentioned this earlier...my big brother has a tongue tie that has never been fixed. It was bad enough that he couldn't nurse, just bottles. My parents chose not to have it fixed due to religious reasons (no medical intervention). However, he's done fine with it tied. His speech is clear, he eats whatever he wants, just couldn't ever "reply" when I'd stick my tongue out at him (and yes, I took full advantage of it ). So, you might get some other opinions, like from a speech therapist, and consider just leaving it tied or at least waiting until he's old enough to see if it causes a problem.
Do not sorrow; the joy of the Lord is your strength." Neh. 8:10
January 16th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Personally, I would wait and see too, unless it is interfering with eating, which it doesn't seem to be. We wouldn't be able to make it midnight-8am either without a very upset baby.
And I agree - what a cutie! Glad that you will be online more soon.

Need Breastfeeding Support?

January 17th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Hi all,
Miles had pre-op apt.yesterday. I did find out some good news. Miles can nurse up until midnight and then he can have clear liquids until 4 am. They suggested pedialite. I've never given my kids anything like that when they were this young. Is it really meant for infants?

The surgery will be next wed and I guess we are going to do it...I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again,

January 17th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a friend who gave her 3month old pedialyte when she was sick (at the dr's suggestion). I guess it's okay.

Need Breastfeeding Support?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search