Olivia Josephine

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Snowpeas
Here's what I wrote the night we got home from the hospital:

We just got home tonight - it's been a whirlwind!! I am still in shock that I went into labor BEFORE my due date and that she's actually here! She is such a delight and I fall more in love with her every day inlove.gif I am just over the moon. And watching her daddy interact so lovingly with her makes me love him even more.

Olivia Josephine was born at 6:08 a.m. on Friday November 23rd and weighed 8 lbs 7 oz and was 21 inches long. She has the chubbiest cheeks and she has fat rolls everywhere - even her little wrists have rolls. lol. She has lots of dark hair and it's over an inch long. In fact while waiting for her head to be delivered my doctor formed her hair into a little mohawk. lol.

I didn't even post that I was going in to be checked on Thursday because I was so positive they were going to send me home. And I was so miserable and so sick of being pregnant I just couldn't bear to be sent home and have to post that it was a false alarm. I was already depressed - that would have been the last straw and I would have totally lost it.

I still hadn't dropped, had not lost my mucous plug or had bloody show and of course my water hadn't broken. And last check my cervix was completely unfavorable and unripe - high thick and closed with no changes at all. They were talking about inducing me at 41 - 41 1/2 weeks and doing a "trial labor" that could end up in a c-section. So knowing that the birth center only keeps you if your cervix is changing enough didn't exactly send me rushing there when I started having some pains that may or may not have been actual labor (especially when my doctor told me most first time moms get sent home multiple times before actually getting to stay) I only went because my mom was driving me absolutely CRAZY and it was the only way to get her to stop bugging me. I didn't even bring all of my stuff or even take a last belly pic. In fact I didn't even lock my dog up (big mistake - she got into the garbage and spread it all over the house lol)

It was an hour's drive and once we arrived they ushered me in to do a quick cervix check and hook me up to the monitors. The doctor checked me and I was super surprised to hear that I was an entire 1cm dilated and 75% effaced! That right there made my day. I never thought my cervix would ever change! After an hour of monitoring they checked me again. I braced myself to be told no changes but I was 3cm and 80% effaced. I got to stay!!! cheer.gif I still was convinced in my mind that everything would stop and they would send me home still pregnant - it just wouldn't click - even with the contrax getting stronger. Another hour later they checked me again - the doctors were so surprised - I was 4 and 90% effaced and very stretchy- with bulging waters. They stretched me to 6cm and I finally lost my mucous plug and had bloody show. So in 2 hours I went from 1cm (with baby not engaged, still had mucous plug and no bloody show) to 6cm (with baby engaged, and having show and losing plug) not too bad for a first time mom with a very unfavorable cervix! blink.gif I finally received the epidural at 8cm after entering transition (I had been asking for it since I walked in the door lol). And from then on things were much better. I had to push for 1 1/2 hours but that was because she has a big head and she was at a very funny angle. The doctors were concerned that she was truly stuck (I caught the worried glances and the whispered conversations) but she finally popped her head out. But it was all worth it - I would do it all over again tomorrow!! In fact I definitely want more kids now it was such a great experience.

If someone were to tell me that I would have a 22 hour labor, most of it completely natural and unmedicated (I was an epidural girl all the way!) and be shaking uncontrollably from the pain and throwing up from every contrax (poor dh's hand, my death grip on it and slow deep breathing was the only thing keeping me focused and making it bearable), that I would be pushing for an hour and a half, that I would have 2nd degree tears that were just a hair away from third degree (and big tears- took almost an hour for 2 doctors to stitch me up - I didn't dare ask how many stitches), and that my first trip to the bathroom post partum would look like a murder scene, lol, I would have been absolutely terrified. But it was a wonderful experience, I feel powerful and very womanly. I know I can do it!

And she was definitely worth it - I can't believe I'm a mom and I have a healthy little girl!! She does have jaundice - her last count was 14.7 so she's home on a billi blanket but otherwise is doing great - she's sleeping right now in her little bassinet and I keep running over there between sentences to make sure she's still breathing, lol.

I am still in shock and can't believe I'm not pregnant anymore! I just stare at her and think she used to be in my belly!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search