Colin Edward's Birth Day

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2008, 10:27 AM
Regular
The birth story of Colin

On Friday, October 5, I went to my 39 week OB appointment. While we were there, we discussed induction of labor with our doctor. He scheduled an induction for October 15th, but also scheduled an ultrasound for October 9th so that he could check to make sure that the baby was handling the last stages of pregnancy well. So on Tuesday, October 9th, I attended this ultrasound appointment. The sonographer measured all of the babyís parts, and I became concerned when it appeared as though the baby was measuring 36.5 weeks everywhere except for his head, which measured 39 weeks. My due date was October 10th. I kept reminding myself that ultrasounds this late can be off by as much as three weeks, but that still put him at the small end of things. However, I have a very optimistic doctor and I didnít think that he would act on this information, except to continue with the induction if I hadnít gone into labor by 10/15. I was on my way out of the OBís office and the sonographer asked me to stay, so that the doctor could meet with me. I went back to his office and he asked me if I would like to have a baby the next day. He explained that the placenta appeared to be aged. I agreed with induction and he called the hospital. He explained to the hospital that the baby was a bit growth retarded, and that there was an aging placenta and that if they did not allow me to come in the following day, that he would send me in right then. I was surprised by the urgency in his conversation. We agreed that the induction would be set for the following day.

As I left the OBís office, my mind was racing! I thought of all the things that I needed to do at work, home and otherwise before the next day. I called Matt and explained what had occurred at the doctorís office. Shortly there after, my cell phone rang. It was my doctor, who said to just come on into the hospital then and we would get things started. I called Matt back, and we quickly made arrangements.

While I had been on my way to work, I turned around and headed back towards the hospital. I had only been five blocks away when I was at my OBís office. I decided to grab some lunch on the way, as I knew that they would not let me eat while in labor. I stopped at Jasonís deli for a sandwich and saw someone that I knew there. We made small talk, but I didnít bring up that I was on my way to the hospital. It seemed kind of bizarre to do so with someone I knew casually.

I arrived at the hospital alone, at 12:45. I had told Matt to take his time on his way to the hospital, as he was at least 40 minutes away and had to stop at our house to finish packing the bag. A nurse got me set up in a room and the doctor came in and quickly broke my water. I was surprised by how quickly things were happening. I text messaged my mom and sister, and shortly they arrived as well as my husband and dad. My dad had arrived at our house while Matt was getting things ready.

A nurse began Pitocin at 1:40 pm, and at this time I was dilated to a 2 and was 75% effaced. Within the hour I was experiencing intense contractions, three minutes apart and lasting one minute. These contractions quickly became every two minutes apart, lasting one minute. However, they felt like they were constant, with no breaks in between. My mom tried to be encouraging by telling me, ďI know itís uncomfortableĒ, and itís amazing how very irritated I was by that statement. Shortly there after, I sent my mom, dad and sister to the gift shop to get me some magazines as I knew that the anesthesiologist was coming soon. At 4:00 I got an epidural. I was surprised by how nervous I was to get the epidural. While it was being administered by Dennis, the anesthesiologist (who had dip in his lip), I was shaking. The anesthesiologist didnít say much, and this made me nervous.

By 5:00 I was dilated to a 5, and by 6:00 I was a six. I was checked again at 6:50 and I was an eight! I was thrilled. Throughout my progress, I was turning from my right to left side per the direction of the nurses, as the babyís heart rate was a little low. I asked a nurse why his heart rate was low, and she explained that his cord might be wrapped around the babyís neck, or hand, and it may be cutting off oxygen during contractions. At this time, Matt and my dad had made a run to our house to drop off my car and pick up a few forgotten things. I called Matt and told him and we were all so excited!

At 8:00 pm, I was checked again. Feeling much better and excited to be an 8, I was optimistic, but the doctor was concerned. I was still an 8, as they had turned the pitocin off completely, which I didnít know. My contractions had leveled off, and this is why I had not made much more progress. My doctor explained that we needed to begin thinking about a C section. I remember thinking that this decision was happening so fast, but at least I would have time to think about it. But by the end of his side of the conversation with me, the decision had been made. He said that if it were his baby, that he would want to go ahead and get him out. My mom and husband appeared to be upset. A friend walked in at this time, and she and my mom said that they would gather our things and get them to our new room. I am so thankful for that!

I was wheeled into the OR swiftly, and Matt was given scrubs to put on. Dennis the anesthesiologist came back and warmth came over my back. This time, he was more talkative, although I donít remember what we talked about. I did tell him that I may be nauseated in surgery, so he gave me Zofran for that. He told me that I would feel like a horse was sitting on my stomach when the baby was coming out. I never felt this though. The surgery went quickly and when I heard Colin cry, I was so surprised that he was out so quickly. I had prepared myself for the swiftness of the situation, for Pitocin, for contractions and an epidural, but I hadnít prepared myself for his cry, which of course made me cry.

I was so surprised that Colin had very little vernix on his body. He was so little but a normal length. He was 6 pounds, 10 ounces and 20 inches long.

I wasnít able to hold Colin right away, because my hands and arms were shaking. Matt brought him over for me to see him, but the room was spinning. I asked for Matt go everywhere the baby went. He had planned on doing this anyway, but I really asked so that the hospital personnel would know that this is what I wanted. Matt left with the baby and I was in recovery by 9:00 pm and promptly began to dry heave. I have never in my life wanted to throw up so bad. I was given more Zofran, which still didnít work. It was so hard to try to sit up after being cut open, and throw up. It was miserable. This was by far, the worst part of delivery. Finally, I was sent to my own room. A friend of a friend was a mom and baby nurse and had requested to be my nurse, while continuing to update our friends on our status. I appreciated that! Still feeling bad, I wanted to see my baby. While I had been declining something stronger for nausea, I finally accepted a half dose of Phenergan. I didnít want to be knocked out for hours, as I wanted to feed Colin and I didnít want him to have a bottle.

Meanwhile, Matt never left Colinís side. He got to bathe him in the nursery and stay with him the entire time. Colin came back to me around midnight and I was able to feed him right away. He stayed with us almost all night, all three nights.

We had such an amazing hospital experience! The medical personnel were respectful of our wishes for the duration of our stay. When they took Colin, they always brought him back when he was hungry. The nurses were wonderful! Colinís pediatrician said that he would be an early smiler, as he was very interested in peopleís faces.

When we were released, Colin weighed 6 pounds, 4 ounces. We went back to the doctor when Colin was four days old, the day after he was released, and he was 6 pounds eight ounces! By Monday, six days old, he was six pounds, twelve ounces. He is quite the eater!

My labor and delivery of Colin was perfect! A C section wasnít the way I wanted to go, but a healthy baby is what I wanted above all, and thatís what we got.

Colin Edward! Our sweet little smiley baby 10/9/07
Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift! - 2 Corinthians 9:15

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search