Luke Adrian

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2007, 03:06 PM
mommyinky's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Luke Adrian
April 1, 2007
11:58 pm
8 lbs 5.5 oz
20 inches

April Fool’s Day: I had made jokes about going into labor all day, and had complained that my water hadn’t broken yet, since it was 11 days before my due date and this was when my water had broken with my first pregnancy.

Then at 7:30 pm, I felt a small trickle. We had just gotten to my brother-in-laws house, and were still outside, and I just sat down in the yard. I started to get excited, but I thought, “Let’s make sure this is what I think it is before I open my big mouth.” Mike sat there talking to his brother while my mind was racing a mile a minute. The trickle just kept on and started to get heavier. Mike finally looked over at me, and now I can’t even remember what I said to him (something about it’s time, or we need to leave or something) and he was like, “What?” So I looked at my sister-in-law and asked her if she had a towel. She couldn’t believe my water had broken and I was still so calm. She got me a towel and I wrapped myself in it and went into the bathroom. Of course it was what I thought it was! My SIL, who is due the end of May with her first, was asking me if I had time to go home and if they needed to do anything. She was freaking out way more than I was! Dane was so excited and asked if baby Luke would be here tonight, but I told him it would probably be tomorrow morning. We left and I called my mom to see who was coming to get Dane, and she was a little surprised by my call to say the least. My sister called back after a few minutes accusing me of playing an April Fool’s joke, but I assured her it was the real thing! My mom then called me back to see if I was having any contractions, and I told her I was just having some cramping. She wanted to know if I was going to wait a little while to go to the hospital then, but I told her that I wanted to go ahead and go in case I needed Pitocin to start my contractions like last time. We went home and I took a shower and put a few last minute things in our bags as we waited for my mom to come get Dane. It took her about half an hour to get to our house and then we were off to the hospital!

I wore a pad to the hospital, but it didn’t do any good. I started having decent contractions on the way there and I soaked through my pad. My pants were soaking wet by the time we got to the hospital. Even though I’m pretty sure everyone knew it was my water and not pee, it was still embarrassing! Then we get to the elevator and can’t go up to L&D because the elevators were shut down to that floor due to a Safety Alert (a baby’s alarm bracelet had accidentally gotten messed with). After about 10 minutes, we finally get upstairs! They get me checked in around 9:00 pm and the contractions are less than three minutes apart and have gotten strong enough that I can’t talk through them anymore. When I get in my gown and in the bed, they check me and I’m already 4 cm, up from the 2 cm I had been at my appointment three days earlier. I immediately ask when I can get my epidural. Mike laughs at me, but I wanted to make sure I got it! It’s a good thing I did! They had to start an IV and draw my blood and wait 30 minutes for the results before I could get my epi. After they have that going, they call the anesthesiologist. Waiting on him seemed like forever! My contractions were around two minutes apart and strong. I cried through some of them. Mike was a life saver! I really gave him a workout...he stood beside the bed and would hug me through the contractions and then stand back up to fan me in between them.

My last picture with my belly, taken just after 10:00. I never would have guessed Luke would be here in less than two hours!

Finally at 10:45, the anesthesiologist comes strolling in and Mike went out to the waiting room. They checked me and I was at 5 or 6 cm. The anesthesiologist asks me a bunch of questions and starts to get things ready. I was in so much pain, and it seemed like it was taking him forever!!! He finally gets started, and it was so hard to sit there through all of the contractions I was having. Thank goodness I had such a wonderful nurse!!! The anesthesiologist finally finishes up and asks me if I still feel any pain. I told him I didn’t know and he says, “Either you do, or you don’t” and the nurse snaps back, “I think she’s feeling pressure.” She has me sit back and sure enough, I’m at 10 cm already!!! In the length of time it took me to get the epidural, I dilated the rest of the way! Thank goodness I asked for it when I did!

Mike comes back in the room to a changed person! I tell him it’s time, and he doesn’t believe me! By this time it is 11:30. The nurses tell me that since the baby looks so good, they’ll give my contractions a little more time to do the work so I won’t have to. I call my mom out in the waiting room to tell her, and she tells me that my dad wants me to hurry up so he can have an April Fool’s baby. At this point I’m still thinking he won’t be here till after midnight. I get off the phone and tell the nurse about my dad, and she says, “Well, we can make it go either way...which way do you want it?” I tell her we might as well go on and do it today!

At 11:45, I start pushing with the nurses. I asked to use the mirror to watch since I was scared to with my first. It was unbelievable to watch! I push through three contractions and they make me stop and wait for the doctor to come in from the hallway. I have to wait for him to get ready and then we push through two more contractions and Luke Adrian was born at 11:58 pm...only two more minutes and he wouldn’t have been my little April Fool’s baby! They put him on my belly and started to clean him up and Mike got to cut the cord. They then took him pretty quickly to put him under the lights on the other side of the room. I kept asking if he was okay, and the nurse told me that he was, but that he had gasped before he was out far enough for the doctor to suction him and he had inhaled a little fluid. I got to see my placenta (something else I didn’t do with my first), and then they brought Luke over for me to look at again and they told me they were taking him to the Intensive Care Nursery because his breathing was unstable. I was so scared. I wanted Mike to go with him, but they said it would be a few minutes before he could. Mike got to go after a few minutes and they showed him the fluid they had suctioned out of him (the yellow stuff in the tube by his head).

It was after 2:00 am before I was able to go see him. That was such a long two hours! It was scary to see him hooked up to the machine with all of those wires and oxygen in his nose, and he had an IV in his head.

I got to go back at 4:00 am to give him his first bottle and he was already off the oxygen.

At 7:00 I went to feed him again and the nurse talked about how good he was doing. His doctor came in at 8:30 am to check him and gave the okay for the IV to be removed. At 9:15 am they brought him to my room and told me they would be treating him like a normal newborn. What a relief!

He was just the most perfect baby, other than that scare he gave us! And he is doing great now.
April 9th, 2007, 03:16 PM
CarryingCarrie
What a great story! Thank you for sharing! And what a fast entrance he decided to make once he got going!

So glad everything went so well!
April 9th, 2007, 03:36 PM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like a pretty fast and easy birth. Congrats again!
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
April 9th, 2007, 04:30 PM
nat81
So cool that you had him on April fools!!! Congrats and good job
April 9th, 2007, 04:33 PM
demandaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to demandaj
What a crazy day..I still can't believe it..LOL..Thank you for sharing...He's precious...

April 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow, sounds like he came out really fast. Sorry he gave you a scare though. Congratulations!

April 10th, 2007, 07:39 PM
sharon81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to sharon81
Great birth story! Glad everything turned out ok in the end.

April 11th, 2007, 04:38 AM
SimplySara05
i didnt believe your posts at first, and waited for you to post again and say APRIL FOOLS!!

he made his entrance soo quick! what a birth story!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search