Aurora Marie

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Super Mommy
The birth of my daughter was so quick and so not what I had envisioned.

On Monday, April 2nd at my 37 week appointment I was 1.5 cm dilated and very thinned out. The doctor told DH and I that I could go at anytime.
I worked Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and everyone kept saying that I wouldn't be back on Tuesday. (We had Friday and Monday off for Easter Break)
I told DH that I would disappoint a lot of people if I showed up to work on Tuesday.

Okay, so on Friday I woke up with a plan on how I was going to spend one of my days off getting some stuff done around the house. I worked out a plan to decrease the amount of stair climbing I would have to do because my pubic bone and hips were soooo sore. So, I went about my day getting stuff cleaned up. I didn't do any major cleaning, just basic stuff like laundry, dishes, etc. I had a few cramps during the day but to me they felt like I had to go poop. Around 1:30 or so, I decided to lie down and get a little nap. DH was out and wouldn't be home until later so I took the opportunity to stretch out in bed and rest.

DH got home around 5ish and decided that he too needed a nap. This put off dinner for us so I took a long hot shower and waited for him to get up. In the meantime, I was still having a few of my "poopy cramps" and told DH when he woke up that I would have to start writing down the times because if I really had to poop, I probably would have by then.

Okay, this is where the good stuff happens. We sat down and ate a pretty heavy meal of roast beef, mashed potatoes, salad and lima beans. This was at around 7:30 pm. Well, dinner was so good that I got up to get 2nds and felt a "splash" of very warm fluid. Without saying a word, I darted to the bathroom and sure enough I had soaked my panties. DH was outside the door asking what was wrong. I felt like I was going to pass out. I got really hot and nervous. Was that my water that just broke?
So, I told DH that I had wet myself and wasn't sure if I peed. He said I think your water broke. I was unsure so I went upstairs to the internet and googled "Did my water just break" and read some info on it. The article told me to lie down for half an hour and if see if fluid would pool and leak out. I got up to go lie down and another gush of liquid. I took my pants and panties off and I was leaking down my leg. I went to the bathroom and kept wiping and wiping until finally I wiped away some bloody mucus. I showed DH and told him that we needed to go to the hospital. We spend about 20 minutes gathering stuff. DH shaved, we brushed our teeth and headed out the door at around 8:30.
We got to the ER and they took me to L&D in a wheelchair. On the 15 minute trip to the hospital, I had a few contractions but they just felt like stronger versions of the cramps I was having all day.
So, up in L & D, they made DH wait while they checked me to see if my water had indeed broken. In the meantime, I'm leaking so much fluid, I thought what's there to check?
Finally, a nurse came in and checked me and I was still on 1.5 cm dilated. I asked them to go get my husband and I filled out some paperwork. They hooked me up to the monitors and I felt perfectly fine. No real contractions. About a half hour later my doctor came in (he had just delivered a baby) When he checked me, I was already 5 cm. I thought holy cow...4 cm in half an hour without any major contractions. They asked me if I wanted an epi, I said yes but not just yet because I wasn't in any pain. And I definitely didn't want any stadol because I had just eaten all that food and did not want to throw up. So, I breathed through some contractions. Not too many though and they weren't too too bad. My nurses were great! I kept telling them that I thought the contractions were supposed to hurt more than they did. So, at this time, they checked me again and I was 7 cm dilated and still the pain was tolerable. So, I opted to not get anything at the time because I thought it was going to be hours and hours before this baby would come. I had plenty of time for pain meds. Or so I thought.
Another 20 minutes passes, they checked me and I was at 8 and Doc was on his way. They had me do a few pushes and I was complete. I started pushing around midnight and that was the hardest part. I really thought that labor was supposed to be harder than pushing. Boy was I wrong.
In the meantime, they had prepared this table of instruments and wheeled that over to the bed. It freaked me out. "What's all that stuff for?" They said it was to help Doc with the baby. I didn't even know the baby was close. Up until now, I felt like I was pushing for nothing and told them so. They dropped the bottome half of my bed away and put my legs up in stirrups. This is the point where I really started to lose it because I had no idea what was happening. I didn't know the baby was right there ready to be born.
Then, I saw this clear little tube in doc's hand and my world fell apart...hello catheter. That was the most excrutiating pain ever! DH had done so well up until this point and when they did that to me, he became the 2nd patient in the room. He almost passed out. He was alright until the big needle came next. They needed to numb me for my episotomy. At that point, out came the smelling salts. Poor DH couldn't take it any more. He said he had such a hard time seeing me in that much pain.
So, a few more pushes and Aurora was here. She arrived at 12:53 am just 4 hours after I got to the hospital and 5 hours after my water broke.
I thought it was all over with, but no. We had to deliver the placenta. That was worse than delivering the baby! It was stuck. Doc had a hard time getting it out and it was very painful.
I got about 10,000 stitches and a beautiful baby girl!

Recovery has been okay. The stitches bother me a little bit but sitting on my boppy helps. It doesn't matter though, my baby girl is perfect and sooooo worth every minute of pain!

Sorry so long but I couldn't pick and choose which details to include or omit so I just gave you every detail.

Thanks for reading! Any questions??

April 9th, 2007, 05:37 PM
nat81
Oh my! I'm sorry you had to get an episotomy... Sounds like everything else was great though! You did great and should be very proud of yourself
April 9th, 2007, 05:41 PM
demandaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to demandaj
awww sorry you had to get all those stitches..I had the same with my 1st..OUCH..but like you said it's so worth it....You have a beautiful little one..CONGRATS...And thanks for sharing....

April 9th, 2007, 07:21 PM
AngelFire22's Avatar Super Mommy
What a great birth story! Thanks for sharing and congrats your baby is beautiful

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
April 9th, 2007, 10:45 PM
SimplySara05
congratulations on your baby girl!! and thank you for sharing your wonderful story!!!
April 9th, 2007, 11:06 PM
CarryingCarrie
Wow! What a ride you went on! Great story!

Congratulations again to you and your DH! You did great! And Aurora is just beautiful!

Thanks for sharing!
April 10th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Glad you avoided pain at least during contractions. Congrats on your beautiful daughter!

April 10th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow - she is so beautiful! Sorry about the stitches - that so does not sound fun. But it was worth it - you now have a beautiful baby girl! Thanks for sharing your labor story - and the pics!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search