The arrival of Carie Rose

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2007, 08:23 PM
elmwolfe's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to elmwolfe Send a message via AIM to elmwolfe Send a message via Yahoo to elmwolfe
I was admitted to the hospital for my scheduled induction on the evening of April 16th around 4:30pm. I got the cervadil inserted and as the Dr. had told me, I was probably going to have an uneventful night where I could sleep and rest. Boy was she WRONG!

I remember the contractions starting around 7:30pm because I wanted so bad to see Rascal Flatts perform at the CMT awards at 8pm. I did get to see them, through mostly light contractions, but I don't remember who won any other awards and vaguely remember watching them. I had contractions pretty frequently but not regularly through around 1am. I lost all track of time after 8pm. I think my mom sent my DH home at one point, thinking he could sleep better at home and that she would call him if he needed to be there. I guess she called him back around midnight. I was getting scared. I didn't like the fact that my contractions were 'unpredictable' because I could never predict my "down time" after each group or set of contractions.

By 1:30am, according to my mom who is the most wonderful labor coach on the planet and I will never be able to repay her for being at my side for all of this, I was not enjoying myself at all and tiring of having to deal with no relief in sight. I was about 2-3cm and 90% effaced and had some bloody show and lost my mucus plug. I finally gave in and asked for pain relief. Initially I was going to just get an epidural in the morning and then they would start the pitocin, but now I was really ready for some help, so I asked for the epidural now, instead of IV pain meds. Well, the Dr. on call that night had decided that I needed to use IV meds first and wait for my epidural in the AM. I was not a happy camper, but really had no choice. So bring on the Demerol. Took away the pain, sort of, but also made me so loopy that I really blocked out most of the next few hours until around 7am when I was to get my epidural. All the nurses were wonderful. They kept telling me how focused and strong I was. My mom says I had 4-5 shots of the "wonder drug" through the night.

Then comes....The EPI man! My Savior. HAHA He was fantastic too. My mom says I was still so loopy on Demerol that when the EPI man asked me what I wanted I asked if he could just knock me out and hand me my baby tomorrow so I could go home! I was having contractions pretty hard and pretty frequent now and was mostly "out of it" but he was very patient with me. So, after about an hour, I got my epidural and was starting to feel better, back among the wide awake instead of in a Demerol coma. I was about 4cm now. Then came the pitocin. That drip was on and off all day because at times Carie did not tolerate the hard contractions well so they started and stopped the pitocin based upon how she tolerated each set. The in-laws and some others arrived in the morning sometime. I was just waiting around...eating my fill of ice chips. I just wanted to hold my baby girl at this point. I remember at some point in my Demoral coma thta they thought my water had broke and I heard "meconium" might be involved. I did not panic, I just soldiered on, but for that reason they did not check me often. At 1pm I remember them checking me and saying I was 6cm and Carie's head was very low. I sat around with family all around me for the next 3 hours enduring contractions so hard that even with the epidural I was wincing at each peak and they were coming very close together. I was bedridden due to the epidural, had no food in me, was catheterized and was on oxygen for Carie. I was mostly miserable although not in as much pain as I had been throughout the night. The nurses said the plan was to check me at 4pm again. So 4pm comes and goes...the nurses check me and well, no progress. I was still at 6cm and based on the contractions I should have been well finished by now. So off she goes to talk to the Dr. At around 5:10pm the Dr. comes in and presents me with my options. He only told me what I already knew. C-Section was the best course of action. He said he would let me try for another hour, but no longer. I gave in and the Dr. told the OR staff to be ready to go in 15 minutes. I was scared and yet, I knew I was finally going to see my baby. I asked my DH if he thought he could handle being in the OR with me or if my mom needed to step in. He was brave. He was right by my side. The "EPI man" had now gone off duty and his replacement was a lady whom I will forever remember to be the one who pulled me through. She had more IV's in me and was managing my BP and pain so well, I felt like she was an orchestra conductor and I was the whole orchestra. I told her my biggest fear was feeling what they were doing, and she helped put that fear out of my head. The Dr. asked me as he walked into the OR if I wanted some music and I said sure. I remember it was the Rolling Stones I think. It all happened rather fast and the Dr says "1751, she's out!" and I heard one cry, then nothing else. Then the Dr says "she's peeing", then they moved her to the side area and are cleaning her up. I can kind of see part of what they are doing but DH was blocking my view. HAHA Then I hear another loud cry and I feel so proud. WOW, I did it. Then I hear again "She's peeing again", it was just too funny. The nurses bundled her and put her down near my face. I kissed her a few times, posed for some awful pics and then DH went with Carie and the nurses out of the OR. It seemed like it was just me, the 2 docs and my EPI lady. I stayed there for what seemed like FOREVER while they finished my surgery and then DH came back in. He said he had to come back to see me. He said Carie was fine and told me her stats and that she might have red hair. They started to wheel me out and I was shivering so bad I couldn't speak at all. I really couldn't, but I didn't feel anything else but elation and sheer joy. I was not scared anymore, just felt like I had just been through the most wonderful horrifying roller coaster of my life.

Sorry it's a bit "wordy" but it's hard to "condense" over 22 hours of labor, ending in a semi-emergency C-section! I hope this helps anyone who reads it. Being a first time Mom, I wasn't sure exactly what to expect and I can say now....no matter what, it's all worth it.

April 25th, 2007, 09:27 PM
sharon81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to sharon81
She's beautiful... you definately have a story to tell... I hope everything stays good for you all!

April 26th, 2007, 05:26 AM
nat81
Wow! That was quite the ordeal! Congrats
April 26th, 2007, 07:30 AM
SimplySara05
What a wild ride!! Congratulations on your beautiful daughter though!!
April 26th, 2007, 08:32 AM
hunters mommy
what a beautiful bright eyed girl! Congrats to you and your family
April 26th, 2007, 08:47 AM
kimberlypatton@msn.com's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, you went through quite a lot there! Congrats on your new baby. She's adorable. Thanks for sharing your story. Glad all turned out well for you and baby in the end!
ESTHER GRACE WAS BORN ON MARCH 23RD, 2009: 4:15 PM, 9 POUNDS, 20.5 INCHES. ANOTHER WONDERFUL HOME WATER BIRTH!!!

The world today is upside down because there is so very little love in the home, and in family life. We have no time for each other. Everybody is in such a terrible rush, and so anxious…and in the home begins the disruption of the peace of the world.
-Mother Teresa~
April 26th, 2007, 03:50 PM
demandaj's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to demandaj
Wow sounds like quite an ordeal...How funny that you got to listen to music..:-)..As we all know regardless of how they come in this world they are more then worth anything we have to go through to get them here...CONGRATS MOMMA....

April 26th, 2007, 09:30 PM
AngelFire22's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow that was amazing! I'm glad everything turned out ok in the end!

<MARQUEE WIDTH="100%" BEHAVIOR="scroll" SCROLLAMOUNT="5" DIRECTION="left"></MARQUEE>
April 28th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! She is beautiful! I got the shivers after my c-section too!

April 30th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Julz81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Julz81 Send a message via Yahoo to Julz81
Congrats!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search