Sierra Rose

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My Birth Story

Wow…what an adventure bringing Sierra into the world turned out to be!

On Monday, April 23rd we arrived at the hospital at 4am for our scheduled induction. They didn’t have any of our paperwork, but because they weren’t that busy, they decided to go ahead and triage me while they tried to find the paperwork. It eventually showed up and we got moved to a room to start the induction.

At 5:35am, they did a cervical check – fingertip dialated, 50% effaced. They put the cervical ripening agent suppository in and the wait started. DH and I slept, relaxed and played cards from 5:35 to 8:30. At 9am, 1cm dilated + 80% effaced. Decided to go ahead and start the Pitocin. Started Pitocin at 9am. Contractions started right away. Cervical check at 1pm showed 2-3cm 90% effaced; good progress, so they moved me to my L&D room. Contractions got much worse through afternoon. At 4pm, still 2-3 centimeters. At 6pm, STILL 2-3 centimeters!! SO frustrating – I had been in so much pain and nothing was happening!!!

Doctor decided we needed to break my water to speed things up – broke my water at 6pm – I needed an epidural by 7pm. Then, we sit and wait for dilation to continue. 9pm cervical check – 4cm! (YAY – doctor has said getting to 4cm is the hardest part – then things usually go much more quickly). 1pm cervical check – 7cm (cervical check was supposed to be at midnight – nurse was too busy delivering another patient to be at all helpful to me – SOOOOOOOO ridiculous!!!). During these contractions, had to increase the epi – in A LOT of pain, especially in the lower back and hips.

Shortly after 1am, started feeling like I had to poop really bad. Remembered doctor telling me it usually takes an hour per centimeter after first 4cm – realize I cannot hold off the need to poop for 3 more hours to get to 10cm. My nurse is again nowhere to be found, so I ask my mom to find another nurse to see if I can have something to take the edge off so that I don’t start pushing before it’s time. Nurse comes in and checks me – 10 cm!!! (Took 45 minutes to go the last 3cm!). Nurse says we’re ready to start pushing!!! (By this time, nurse we didn’t like is too busy, so a different nurse has been brought in – she is AWESOME (used to be a doula for 6 years, so just has an awesome bedside manner).

Nurse pages doctor at 1:45ish and asks if I want to hold off pushing until the doctor gets there – since I like the doctor a lot (he’s the one who broke my water on Monday), I agree to wait. They give me another dose of epi. And we wait…and wait…and wait…RIDICULOUS!!! (as best as we can tell, doctor either didn’t get the page or went back to bed – doctor ends up showing up at 4:30am – 2 and ˝ hours after I was fully dilated!!!) By about 3:30am or 4ish, we had started pushing because I was tired of waiting. I continue pushing with nurse until 7:30am!!! We are making process, but REALLY slow. The baby is caught behind my pubic bone…this pushing is the most intense exhausting experience I have ever been through. Along with the pressure from the contractions (which I can feel, b/c epi blocks pain but not pressure), my back and hips hurt SO bad (I am getting excruciating cramping pains through the back and hips – so bad that I cannot even push when they come) and I am throwing up pretty regularly (since I have been there at this point almost 24 hours and have been allowed to eat and drink only ice chips and popsicles, all that is coming up is bile – so my throat is burning as well). I am in hell. I am delirious from the pain and nausea and am slipping in and out of it between contractions. The nurse finally suggests an anti-nausea medication and something to take the edge off my back and hip pain (but not until like 4am – would have been great to get this before!)…

Nurse shift at 7:30am and 2 new nurses come in…at this time, I am crying, thinking baby is never coming…I ask the doctor what my options are if I can’t push baby out – he says C-section (um, absolutely NO way NO how – I’ve already been through 26 hours of labor – like hell I’m having a C-section now), forceps (no thanks) and vaccuum, but I have to get the baby pushed a little lower. I decide to shoot for the vaccuum and keep pushing. Everyone is telling me I’m making progress, but I don’t believe them! I push for 45 minutes – and baby FINALLY comes out (with the help of a vaccuum)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By this point, my epi has worn off and I can feel everything! I am screaming during the last 10 minutes or so, telling the doctors and nurses to “make the pain go away, make it stop”…and am told that the only way to make the pain go away is for me to deliver the baby – so that’s what I did! Our beautiful baby girl was born at 8:27am on Tuesday, April 24.

This was the most brutal experience of my life (end up with several tears - all stitched up now) and my poor DH still shudders thinking of it…but it was SO worth it! I am still in shock that we have a beautiful baby girl –our surprise turned out to be a girl and I am the happiest woman on the planet! I just look at her and am SO grateful!!! So that’s my crazy labor story of how hard I worked to bring my special beautiful daughter into this world…and how I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had to (but only if I really really had to LOL)…
April 29th, 2007, 05:50 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like you had a hard time!! Sorry it was so long....but I know how you feel...its so worth it in the end no matter now bad it seems!! Congrats on your baby girl again!!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

April 29th, 2007, 11:55 AM
nat81
Phew! What a birth story! Congrats again on your baby girl
April 30th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Julz81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Julz81 Send a message via Yahoo to Julz81
Wow what a story,, congrats!!

BFP: 04/03/2014 EDD: 12/15/2014 HB: 04/30/14 (75bpm) MC: 5/2/2014 (natural)

May 3rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
sharon81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to sharon81
Congrats on your beautiful baby girl!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search