Emily June's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2007, 08:56 PM
~Paula~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As most of you know I was scheduled for a c/s on June 1st, 2007. I had to be at the hospital for check in at 6am.
We arrived, checked in, got put into what would be my recovery room after surgery. They monitored me for awhile, got everything ready, etc... My Dr. came in, told me everything was on schedule and that she'd be in shortly and we'd head to the O.R.
Just as planned, she came in and we walked to the O.R. My dh was to wait in the hall until my spinal was done and then he'd be joining me. That is when everything went off schedule.
It took the antistegiologist (sp) about 25 minutes to get my spinal in. He kept hitting my right leg nerves and making my leg jump. It felt like I was being eletrocuted, it was very strange. Happened a few times to my left leg as well and a few times to my entire body. I don't know how else to describe it. He said he'd try one more time and if it wouldn't go in, they'd need to put me to sleep. I was so scared and shaking like a leaf! Then, he got it!! HOORAY.....or so I thought.
As I was laying on the table, waiting for them to let my dh in, they pinched my stomach to check to make sure I was numb and I said OUCH! That is NOT what they wanted to hear. So they kept trying and I kept feeling it. Next thing I knew Ihad a mask being held over my face and I asked what it was. They said they were putting me to sleep. I FREAKED!! I kept flipping my head side to side to get it off and was crying because my husband wasn't allowed in. When they went to tell him, he made them let him in just to talk to me before I went under. He held my hand and told me it would all be alright and he loved me.
That is the last I remember, I was under.

While I was under, my dh stood outside the O.R. door, despite them trying to get him to go to the waiting room. He told them if they wanted him to move, they'd need to call security, so by the door is where he stayed. While in the hall, 4 people walked into the O.R. past him, then 4 more, then 2 more. He was really starting to freak out, had no idea what was going on. THEN....a lady came out of the O.R. and said...."Where is the crash cart?" DH FREAKED OUT!!! He started yelling, "What the hell is going on in there, why do you need the crash cart, how is my wife?" and the lady said..."Oh..I just need a bag off of it."
WHAT??? You don't go out and ask something like that. Dh was so mad and upset, he said his heart literally skipped a beat and he felt his whole chest sink when she asked that. For a split second he said his entire world had ended.

I remember hearing this faint, far far off cry. I realized after I woke up that it was Emily I had heard crying.
I woke up to my Dr's calling my name. I asked if Emily was ok and they told me she was perfect. I asked where my dh was and they said right beside you and he stepped up. I asked where my Mom was (lol, a girl needs her Mom.) and my dh said in the waiting room. So off to recovery I went.
I was still super groggy and kept asking over and over how much Emily weighed. They told me over and over, 8lbs 4oz. I kept asking for her and they said she was on her way. Then my Mom came in and we were both crying.
Finally they brought me my baby, she was PERFECT!!! Lots of dark hair, cute little chubby cheeks, just perfect!!

I really believe something went wrong in there that day though. My Mom overheard my Dr and the antistegiologist talking about something and saying that he thought HE was going to have a heart attack and he was glad it all ended the way it did.
Which really freaks me out a little, what happened in there? What went wrong?

I ended up having spinal headaches, which is spinal fluid leaking from the needle hole. I had the worst migraines I've ever in my life had. They came out of nowhere and knocked me for a loop, I had to lay down flat when they came on and they were instantly gone. My head, my neck and my shoulder were in so much pain when I had them. The only "cure" is for the antistegiologist to do a "blood patch". Which is taking blood from my arm and injecting it into the site of my spinal, causing a block of the leaking spinal fluid, which is suppose to bring instant relief. I, however was NOT letting that guy touch my spine again, after all that. So the only other thing to do was wait them out. I was put on a "high caffeine diet" which meant tons of coffee, pop and CHOCOLATE!! A very nice thing to hear after being diabetic for months! lol

I came home on the 5th day (Tuesday) and it wasn't until (Wednesday) that my headaches were gone.
I'm doing great now, my incision is good. Emily is perfect and Kayla is so in love with her!
It's so nice to be home, be a family and just enjoy how lucky I am!

June 8th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Hart_N_Sole
What an intense story... Wow. You poor thing!

In the end, you have your perfect little girl and that is what matters. Congratulations!!!
June 8th, 2007, 01:41 PM
mrsroseblack's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Originally from Texas, In Delaware and moving to Alaska!
Wow! That's a scary but interesting story. I'm so glad things turned out as well as they did and sometimes I think it may not be so bad to be out of it.

Thank you Cherry Berry. for my adorable siggy!

June 8th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Denise66's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
THat is sad it turn out like you would have liked but I am glad everything is ok.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

June 9th, 2007, 05:34 AM
*Angel*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to *Angel* Send a message via Yahoo to *Angel*
Wow Paula, You must have been so terrified. I know I would have been. Im so sorry it all turned out so wrong, yet in the end everything turned out ok! You got y our little angel and I suppose thats all that really matters. I am glad that you are home and feeling better now. Congratulations!!!! She is just absolutely beautiful, really beautiful.

June 9th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Grateful~Gentle~Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I'm lurking (from the December DDC) and I wanted to tell you congratulations on your little girl. My little sister, Emily, turned 13 today and I was 13 when she was born. I can't believe how fast they grow!

Anyways, THAT is one crazy story. I believe you when you say you think something happened. Of course, you will never know. And I think you just talked me OUT of having an epidural. I had one AFTER my last surgery (I had colon cancer last year) and I ha the same reaction with it hitting my nerves and it didn't work anyways. I also still have pain where they put it in...months later.

</div>
June 10th, 2007, 04:16 AM
yammie
Emily is such a cutie! You have a beautiful family I bet it feels so great to not be pregnant anymore!
September 11th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Veteran
Congratulations on your little one!

<div align="center"></div>
December 12th, 2007, 08:58 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Wow, sad that your dh didn't get to be there, but at least all is well!!

February 15th, 2008, 02:57 PM
BraydensMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to BraydensMama Send a message via Yahoo to BraydensMama
Oh Paula, that sounds scary. I know I was terrifed in the D.R. and I just had an epideral. i can't imagine what it was like for you. I'm sorry your husband wasn't allowed in the room. I think that's a stupid rule. I'm just happy everything went well in the end. Your little girl is such a sweetie!
March 16th, 2008, 08:33 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I'm not sure how I never commented on your birth story. I guess it's because I went into labor the night you had Emily and then totally got distracted for a while! LOL!

Paula, that story is scary! I can't believe you had to go through all of that. I'm sorry things didn't go as well as they should have. I'm glad in the long run that everything was ok and that you and Emily are happy and healthy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search