Caroline Aubrey

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Hey! This is the story I put together for Caroline's scrapbook. Makes me

Caroline's Birth Story

From the very beginning we were told you were going to come on February 20th, 2007. I had a feeling you would come on the 9th, and I got really excited as that day came. When I talked to my doctor, she thought you were coming on the 9th or earlier. I was already dilating and effaced, which means my body was getting ready for you to come. Well, the 9th came and went. For the next 3 weeks I thought you were coming any day, and so did Daddy and our doctors. But as your due date passed we knew that you were coming when you were ready, not when we wanted you to come. My doctor said she would induce me on the 27th, one week past my due date. We were very excited that you were coming on that day. But as we thought about it, we realized two things: we knew of two other people that already had that birthday (Poppi and Brother Bill Adamson) and we just didn't want you to come before you were ready. So we called the doctor and said we'd wait a few more days and wait to see if you would come on your own. Just in case you didn't, we scheduled another induction on March 1st.
True to your form, you kept us waiting and we ended up going to the hospital early Thursday morning, March 1st. It was a little rainy, and of course there was traffic on the way to the hospital. But we got there safe and on time, at 9 a.m. The nurses there took us to our room and gave me some paper work to fill out and my gown to put on. (Before I could do anything I had to go to the restroom- you always put a lot of pressure on my bladder!) The room was very nice and even though I was nervous, I was more excited to meet my little girl. Not long after I got changed Grammy and Poppi came to keep us company and support me through the delivery. We then met our first nurse, Julia. She was petite, blond, pretty and kind. I could tell she knew what she was doing.
At 10:45 Julia started my Pitocin, which made me start having contractions. For the first few hours the contractions were not too bad. I couldn't move around a whole lot, but I did what I could. Grammy and Daddy were a big help- when I would hurt they would massage my back, talk to me, help me breathe, and encourage me. Every thirty minutes Julia continued to turn up my Pitocin, and at 2:15 my midwife broke my water. Boy did it start to hurt! But Grammy and Daddy kept helping me, and I got pretty far. Then, all of a sudden, around 4 o' clock Julia noticed that your heart rate was dropping. Very quickly, things changed. Julia called for lots of extra nurses and they told me what to do to help you get better. They turned off my Pitocin and gave me three shots of terbutaline (a medicine that stops contractions), all the while telling me to get up on my hands and knees and breathe through an oxygen mask. For Daddy and Grammy it was a very scary time. I don't remember much about it, but I just did what they told me to do so that you would be safe. Outside the room, Poppi, Grandmommy and Grandaddy were praying that God would heal your heart. Then, as quickly as it started, you were safe again and things went back to normal. The doctors said that you would be fine and we could keep going.
Around 7:15 p.m. I decided that the contractions were too hard for me to bear. I realized that I wasn't enjoying this day as much as I wanted to, and I wasn't even able to talk to the people in the room. The doctors said that even though I had progressed a lot already, my body wasn't able to relax enough to go any farther. They said that I should get an epidural, and I agreed! So I made it to about 8 centimeters without medication. The anesthesiologist came and gave me an epidural while Grammy let me lean on her. Oh, how good it felt! Slowly my legs got numb and then I couldn't feel the contractions anymore. It was very sweet relief. After things got settled down they started the Pitocin again, but not as much as the first time. While I rested, Daddy and were visited by Grandmommy, Granddaddy, Nanny, Milt, Mack, Mel, Ben, Heather, Kathy, Billy and Joanna. So many people were ready to meet you!
The doctors must have been right, because less than 3 hours later I was dilated all the way and it was time to push! Mommy and Daddy were so excited! We really wanted you to be born on the first of March, but the nurses thought that since it was our first baby it would still be a few more hours. Again, you proved everyone wrong! I started pushing when my midwife, Janet Darlin, told me to push. Only twenty minutes later, you were born! Janet cleared your nose and throat and put you on my chest. You were crying from the very second you came out. You were so beautiful and Mommy and Daddy were so happy. It was still March 1st, at 11:20 p.m. After that I don't remember all the little details because I was so focused on my new daughter. You weighed 7 lbs and 9 oz and were 20 inches long.
After we both got cleaned up and settled down we were moved to a different room. It was around 2 a.m. By then we had a new nurse named Becky. She was tall with brown hair, and she was strong, which was a good thing because I couldn't walk from the epidural! I was able to nurse you and you did great. Finally Daddy and I laid down and tried to sleep. We were still so excited. We couldn't believe that after all this waiting you were finally here. We had dreamed about this day for years. You went to the nursery to rest and we slept a little too. The nurses brought you to us ever three hours to eat. It was so neat to know you were actually ours. I remember crying after you came in at 9 a.m. because I realized that I had missed you. We spent another day at the hospital, getting to know you and greeting visitors. We went home on Saturday, March 3rd. As we walked in the door, I was so happy I cried again. You made us a family.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search