Samantha Jade arrives

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2007, 07:13 PM
soaplady's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to soaplady
Samantha is finally here!!!! Congratulations!

My all natural soap and bath products store on Etsy:
http://www.bubblyseahorsesoap.etsy.com

Soaps, Scrubs, lip balms, and more! Find Bubbly Seahorse on FB, too!
July 25th, 2007, 07:27 PM
hockeymomto4boys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She is BEAUTIFUL Michelle!! Hope everything is going well!

July 25th, 2007, 07:42 PM
*Jill*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy

</div>
July 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
OMG Michelle...what a sweetie she is! I hope that the jaundice went away and that she's back at home with you! Can't wait to hear how your labor went and see some more pics!

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
July 27th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Ms.Michelle
Ok, you're right. I need to start working on this!

Friday, 20th, at 5am started to get contractions. I actually thought it was gas! I had a bath to see if it was false but it was still going so I told DH to stay home. I ate, drank and laboured at home because it seemed mild. At 8pm things started to feel worse so I called my doula. (This was the actual start of my active back labour.) I had my doula come to the house around 11pm. We stayed at the house until 1am and then went to the hospital. At the hospital we had, there were two bath tubs.. My doula, who is a retired nurse who used to be in the l & d rooms, got us one of them.. I was so pumped. I thought for sure we would have a gentle, water birth for her.. I knew that would be the best, least painful way for her to enter this world.. I checked in at 5 cm and thought the tub would help. It did, and I progressed to 7cm within 2 hours. The hypnobirthing and water helped me make it that far with all the contractions. Then I stalled out at 7cm.. The staff told me this was lasting too long. I did flights of stairs, nipple stimulation.. nothing would change. I didn't want my membrane stripped because I knew they wouldn't let me back into the tub. It was my coping tool to deal with the contractions and it was be the best way for her to enter the world. At 1pm (Sat, July 21) they stripped my membranes. I cried.. I had to mourn the way she would be here.. I didn't want that for her. They found poop so we all started to worry. They also told me that my contractions weren't steady enough and should be stabilized. They gave me synthoesonal. (sp?) an epidural, and a catheter at 3pm since I couldn't get the contractions to stabilize and they felt she was in trouble.. I was so upset. I didn't want to have these drugs. Not on this little infant. (Now, I know it was for the best, the right thing to do and ok.. We've dealt with the after effects of that crap, which I'll get to telling.) So, they gave this crap and I don't know why women think epi's are the god's sent because it maybe worked for an hour. We tryed different positions and swatting. Finally they told me if I don't push out this baby, they are going to vacuum or forcept her out. (My family has a long history of this.. I couldn't let them do it. They have enlonged heads, and bruises after.) So when I heard them getting the equipment out at 9, I pushed and pushed.. She came out at 9:20pm. They immediately took her and suctioned her out. They didn't even let DH cut the cord or hold her. They wouldn't let me have her either..

In the end she was healthy.. But I'll tell the story about the jaundice/hospital later.. speaking of floppy babies.

~I'll edit it as I can.
July 27th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Marissa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Marissa Send a message via Yahoo to Marissa
Congradulations, Michelle. Samantha is beautiful.
July 29th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Lisadear Send a message via Yahoo to Lisadear
Quote:
This is Michelle's husband as she is sleeping right now. She wanted me to let you know that Samantha Jade was born on Saturday July 21 at 9:20pm. She was 9lbs 1oz and 21 1/4 inches long.

Mom and baby are doing great and mom is trying to sleep as much as she can.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE..

Friday, 20th, at 5am started to get contractions. I actually thought it was gas! I had a bath to see if it was false but it was still going so I told DH to stay home. I ate, drank and laboured at home because it seemed mild. At 8pm things started to feel worse so I called my doula. (This was the actual start of my active back labour.) I had my doula come to the house around 11pm. We stayed at the house until 1am and then went to the hospital. At the hospital we had, there were two bath tubs.. My doula, who is a retired nurse who used to be in the l & d rooms, got us one of them.. I was so pumped. I thought for sure we would have a gentle, water birth for her.. I knew that would be the best, least painful way for her to enter this world.. I checked in at 5 cm and thought the tub would help. It did, and I progressed to 7cm within 2 hours. The hypnobirthing and water helped me make it that far with all the contractions. Then I stalled out at 7cm.. The staff told me this was lasting too long. I did flights of stairs, nipple stimulation.. nothing would change. I didn't want my membrane stripped because I knew they wouldn't let me back into the tub. It was my coping tool to deal with the contractions and it was be the best way for her to enter the world. At 1pm (Sat, July 21) they stripped my membranes. I cried.. I had to mourn the way she would be here.. I didn't want that for her. They found poop so we all started to worry. They also told me that my contractions weren't steady enough and should be stabilized. They gave me synthoesonal. (sp?) an epidural, and a catheter at 3pm since I couldn't get the contractions to stabilize and they felt she was in trouble.. I was so upset. I didn't want to have these drugs. Not on this little infant. (Now, I know it was for the best, the right thing to do and ok.. We've dealt with the after effects of that crap, which I'll get to telling.) So, they gave this crap and I don't know why women think epi's are the god's sent because it maybe worked for an hour. We tryed different positions and swatting. Finally they told me if I don't push out this baby, they are going to vacuum or forcept her out. (My family has a long history of this.. I couldn't let them do it. They have enlonged heads, and bruises after.) So when I heard them getting the equipment out at 9, I pushed and pushed.. She came out at 9:20pm. They immediately took her and suctioned her out. They didn't even let DH cut the cord or hold her. They wouldn't let me have her either..

In the end she was healthy.. But I'll tell the story about the jaundice/hospital later.. speaking of floppy babies.

~I'll edit it as I can.[/b]
she's beautiful honey!!! congratulations!

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
July 29th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
She sure is!!! Welcome to the world Samantha, and again honey, congratulations!!

Take care of you, get lots of rest!

July 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
She's bee-yoo-ti-ful! Congratulations!! I hope you're feeling well!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 31st, 2007, 03:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congrats - she is a beautiful little girl!
February 17th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Regular
What hospital did you deliver at?
I've heard only one hospital in the city has a birthing tub, is this true and which hospital is it? If anyone knows, can you please let me know? Thanks!
February 18th, 2008, 09:48 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
My response is in the labour and childbirth area.
December 5th, 2008, 06:42 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
The birth experience of Samantha is something I'm starting to emotionally heal from. I think it's probably because of things that have happened since.

We went to a rally for funded midwife coverage in May 5, 2008. It was both Samantha's and my first rally ever. Since the birth of my dd, I've worked with two MLA's to get midwifes funded. The doulas and midwives of Alberta have already done most (if not all) the work to get it done but the problem politically seemed to be by funding midwives, they financially benefitted. So my second MLA and I were able to help finish the work. My story was one that had no financial gain and my MLA is a new politician trying to build a profilio. At a stampede breasfast he told me that it's going to be done come September or October. I was so happy that I called my doula! Obviously this promise has been told to her a time or two because she said we'll wait and see. With him working hard behind the scenes, on October 16, 2008 midwivery was announced to be funded in Alberta. I feel incredibly proud to be part of the reason why. My MLA sent me the transcripts of the announcement said in the House of Commons and I have it framed to show Samantha. Obviously all of this has helped me to heal..

I re-read my story and I wanted to add that Samantha is 100% vax-free and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I posted my journey on researching vaccines in my profile for anyone to see. I will say I again feel robbed and yet blessed at my treatment by the CHR because if they wouldn't have treated me so badly I would have vaccinated my dd believing in the greater good of vaccines. So in the end, I helped to get midwivery funded, learned more about immune systems, became an advocate for informed vaccine choices and overall have taken control of my dd's health in a way I never thought I could. I've learned more about why other's mom's opinions matter equally or greater than a doctor's (allopathic) opinion. I feel empowered to help other moms now through the first stages and may one day become a homeopath because of everything.

I'm humbled to have learned so much through JM and I'm so thankful to JM for being a wonderful resource for moms. If I didn't have JM, I wouldn't be here today. I think I'm done adding to my birth story so thank you to anyone who read it all.

Cheers,

Michelle
December 6th, 2008, 01:50 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
aw, michelle... i followed your link from AP, and i feel awful, reading your story here. i had some similar problems in my hospital births, and it's just so disgusting. i don't want anything to do with OBs and hospitals anymore.

my first child, i arrived in horrible pain, and was forced to sit in the hallway while the nurse effed around, and finally i had to ask for a room, so that people weren't staring at me as i moaned and sweated all over myself, etc. i asked for an epidural, but was told no~ without checking me, i was told that i wasn't far enough. then my water broke, and they discovered that i was 6-7 cm, and FINALLY they put me in my room. i told them that i had to push, and was told, "no, not yet, hon." i WAS complete, and my son was born just minutes later. i said no to an episiotomy, and was given one anyway. they cut the cord themselves, whisked the baby away before i could even LOOK at him, and kept him separate from me in the corner of my room for 45 minutes, until my huge, intimidating step-dad went and ######ed the nurses out, and told them they would be sorry if i didn't get my son immediately.

with my daughter, i was stuck in my bed, not allowed to to even sit up straight, because of the !#@$*^%*@#& heart moniter and it's oh-so-important reading. they paid no attention to it anyway. they knew i had delivered my firstborn in unde 2.5 hours, yet ordered pitocin and broke my water, so that my doctor could fit in my delivery before his lunch!!!! my girl was born after 30 minutes of active labour. i was denied an epidural again, because they didn't get off their butts and order it in time (i'll be having home births in the future, so no epidurals for me anyway~ at least i know i am strong enough to go without, right?). i was forced to stay two nights in the hospital, because they didn't get my my GBS antibiotics in time. morons. i was not allowed to so-cleep with her~ they caught us sleeping together, and they took her and stuck her in her bassinet thingie. they also criticied my breastfeeding, and referred to me as a "firsttime breastfeeding mom". someone didn't do their homework.
they would not let me in the tub at all, and refused to give me a catheter, even though i was swollen shut, and had to pee so badly i was nearly in tears.

so, i can absolutely relate to:

Quote:
I don't know what rape feels like but I now know what it's like to be forced to spread your legs to people who don't care how you feel. You object about something you don't want done to you but you don't matter as you're just the woman with her legs open, in the most vulerable position you've ever been in being mocked and ridiculed for speaking up. Is it really any wonder why some people can't move on? I truly understand why some women have unassisted homebirths. I don't want to be raped like that again.[/b]
giving birth isn't the most dignifying moment of a woman's life, but we do it for our children, and then we get this kind of treatment, from people who just want to get their jobs done. it's repulsive, revolting. it's north american in the new millenium, but you sure wouldn't know it!

i was LAUGHED at by a nurse, when i begged for an epidural at 10 cm. i knew that it was too late to get one, but i was in the most pain i'd ever been in, and she had the nerve to laugh at me. was a simple, "just push, it's almost over, honey," REALLY so difficult?

i could go on and on, if i really thought about it, but it's painful for me, and irritating, to bring back these memories. it's really sad, and i HATE that i have such a hard time thinking about what could have been such beautiful days. they WERE beautiful, they were the first times i met my sweet babies... but my hospital experiences, they ruined these irreplacable moments, and i hate thinking about them, to be honest. unfortunately... you are not alone, and i don't look down on you for a moment, for having a hard time getting past your treatment, because i feel the same way.

midwife attended home water births for our future babies!!!!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

April 18th, 2009, 05:03 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
This is really, really close to home for me even though people are in denial. I've been mocked for using the term rape so I wanted to pass this on for education.

Not a happy birthday - The F-Word

November 7th, 2009, 09:38 PM
(.Y.)mom2dd(.Y.)
Birth Matters |

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search